IGNORED

Best SSD for music

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, wouterk said:

Samsung T7 anyone for data storage?

I am using a 2012 i7 MacMini now upgraded with 1TB internal storage. Playback via Uptone ISO Regen, Singxer to Holo Audio Spring DAC. 

Currently using a quiet conventional 2TB Toshiba drive which is 4 years old connected via USB. Software used is Roon. 

Does replacing the external storage with a Samsung T7 make sense?

Thank you.

Not really, the music will be fine on any external spinning drive of appropriate size.

No electron left behind.

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, sb6 said:

There are many that believe each SSD and HDD "sound" different. I've never experienced a difference in any SSD or HDD. The only difference I've heard is via the quality and quantity (current capability) of the power supply.

I am even a bit skeptical of that, although much less, with something like the Optical Rendu Signature SE in the chain.

No electron left behind.

3 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Well, that is not MY experience, with even the actual Power supply for the SSD making a difference. There are many members that use separate Linear PSUs for that reason. In my case I use the existing +12V SMPS regulated down to a very low noise (<4uV) +5V supply .

It's no more ridiculous than the original C.A. Symposium organised by Chris many years ago, where most present preferred the  sound of SSD over HDD when playing the same material.:P

The difference is I can think up some real actual reasons why that may be the case, and none of them would make one SSD sound different from another.

I recently updated the SSD on my Mac mini from a 60GB version that was a few years old, to a 250GB version. Both Electra 6G from OWC. I am sure something has changed over the 4 years or so in between the two of them other than price. There was zero change in sound.

No electron left behind.

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

Just because you are unable to hear the usual effects of separate Earth references  (hum) does not mean that they can't cause Audible degradation such as a little low level harshness or a less than " black" silence.

Just because you didn't hear the tree fall in the woods doesn't mean it didn't make sound...

Is that really your argument?

No electron left behind.

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

That is with your ears and your System. It does NOT mean that others are unable to hear these differences.

Have you even tried using a low noise +5V supply to power them like many other members have ?

How are any potential differences going to get past my Optical Rendu?

No electron left behind.

3 hours ago, jabbr said:

Do you find that the EMI from an induction surface vs microwave affects the acidity of the espresso? My pour overs are done with gas heat, manual grinding, and Japanese filters precisely to avoid this 😂

Yes, it is why I have this gas stove that I manually light to avoid any electronic influence aligning the ions in my water incorrectly... Only natural heating happens here...

I also use an anti static gun, just like the version for my turntable, on my manual burr grinder before every use.

😉

No electron left behind.

Just now, jabbr said:

I see — do you get a massive improvement in aroma? More chocolate notes vs cherry? What does that do to vanilla? Have you tried cryo on the grinder?

This is Minnesota, everything gets cryo treated here...  haha

The flavor of course depends on the bean, but it does release more of the tanins and aroma. 😉

No electron left behind.

Short of mechanical noise from a spinning drive, why would an SSD be better, and why would one be better than another?

Answer these and this thread will have merit.

Convince me to spend the exponentially more amounts of money required to put my music collection on SSDs versus spinning 3.5 inch drives.

edit: It would be $5400 in drives alone... plus the enclosures for the dozen 2.0TB SSDs... Let say two of these which would be another $1256

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TB36SRKIT0/

Edit again : and if you're going to try to convince me of some DIY alternative, convince me that my time is less valuable than the time it would take to futz with that rather than listen to music via a plug and play solution.

final edit: I wonder if you actually practice what you preach...

No electron left behind.