IGNORED

Desktop stereo speakers V 5.1 speakers/5.1 soundbar

Hi everyone!

Has anyone had experience of using small 5.1 speakers (like Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1, Cambridge Audio Minx Min 12 or a soundbar like Yamaha YSP-2200), that are no taller than 10cm / 4 inches versus a pair of stereo desktop speakers like Polk Audio S10, Ruark Audio MR1, Q Acoustics 3010, Wharfedale DS-2 or even Wharfedale Diamond 9.0, all of which aren't taller than 25cm / 10 inches? Which in your experience sound better for listening to 5.1 audio?

• All the desktop speakers above cost less than £330 / $430 and the 5.1 speakers cost less than £800 / $1050.
  • I know for stereo music, the stereo speakers above would beat the 5.1 system hands down.
  • I also understand the stereo pairing can't play all the audio of 5.1

What are people's experience and thoughts on which sound better overall for 5.1 audio?

Thanks

Miggyboys

HiFi: Marantz CD6000 OSE CD player, Logitech Squeezebox Touch streamer, NAD C350 amplifier, Denon TU-260LII tuner, Technics SL-1200 MKII turntable, Audiolab M-DAC DAC, Tannoy Revolution R2 speakers, Vortexbox music server, QED Silver Anniversary bi wire, Various Ixos / Ecosse interconnects, Optimum stand/rack.

AV: Sharp LC-46LE831E TV (calibrated with DVE), Denon AVR-2310 AV Receiver, Sony BDP-S5000ES Blu Ray player, SkyHD, Mordaunt Short Genie 5.1 speakers, various QED & IXOS interconnects, QED Silver anniversary speaker cable.

its not clear to me what are you trying to setup here , I will assume its for a desktop setup 

its not fair to compare a 400$ acoustic system Vs. a 1000$ one , it depends on your usage , if you are looking for effects and  a Home theater  like experience on your desktop i guess the 5.1 system would be more engaging in terms of surround and a dedicated subwoofer. but too much of a compromise for natural and clear music 

for me speakers placement for a 5.1 system for a desktop setup is too much of a hassle , I'll compromise the surround for the sake of clarity and to add a little more of engagement during watching movies by adding a dedicated subwoofer , for 750$ get something like the Audioengine A5+ Powered Speaker & S8 Subwoofer Bundle

https://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-Powered-Speaker-Subwoofer-Bundle/dp/B01MUS8BU7?th=1

The cost comparison is a fair one - there are more speakers in the 5.1 system, hence the difference in cost to equate similar quality. In the same way, AV receivers and their stereo capabilities are compared to stereo amplifiers that are one third of their value to equate comparable quality.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Miggyboys

HiFi: Marantz CD6000 OSE CD player, Logitech Squeezebox Touch streamer, NAD C350 amplifier, Denon TU-260LII tuner, Technics SL-1200 MKII turntable, Audiolab M-DAC DAC, Tannoy Revolution R2 speakers, Vortexbox music server, QED Silver Anniversary bi wire, Various Ixos / Ecosse interconnects, Optimum stand/rack.

AV: Sharp LC-46LE831E TV (calibrated with DVE), Denon AVR-2310 AV Receiver, Sony BDP-S5000ES Blu Ray player, SkyHD, Mordaunt Short Genie 5.1 speakers, various QED & IXOS interconnects, QED Silver anniversary speaker cable.

of course you are right you can compare any two products ,  but to reach an accurate conclusion of which item i should buy is mainly done on a cost to benefit ratio. 

Both of these systems (whether a small 5.1 or  a regular 2.0)The Acoustic Design for the system as a whole was made on the intent to give a certain level of acoustic performance and its limited ultimately by the intended retail price they want to achieve 

5 hours ago, Phonautograph said:

...but to reach an accurate conclusion of which item i should buy is mainly done on a cost to benefit ratio.  

Not everyone buys on a cost to benefit ratio, and I'm not doing in this case.

Miggyboys