IGNORED

RaspDIGI LTE LVDS V2 Streamer I2S LVDS HDMI Allo Kali

Hi,

Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong section. In fact, given that it is about a product sold to me by Audiophonics, it may not even be appropropriate to post here. If that latter is the case then I'll try getting help elsewhere. 

I have contacted Audiophonics for help on this but I am not getting a useful response and the Audiophonic site is meant to have a forum. It is non-existent as far as I can see and if you click on the forum link nothing happens.

I don't pretend to have any Linux experience but I do know my way around networking audio to some extent.

This one’s got me stumped. The device is meant to send an I2S stream, via HDMI to a suitable DAC, in this case my Direct Stream Junior which it is meant to be compatible with. I chose Dietpi as i couldn't see any other PI operating systems that worked with Roon.

I am using Roon with a Roon Rock server. I have installed Dietpi on my RaspPI device. I enabled the Allo web interface (to make accessing the unit easier).I went into the config > Audio settings in Dietpi and have basically gone through every output (DAC) option listed there. I am getting 3 different results depending on the output I pick.

For example if I pick the Allo Digione option then this results in Roon not seeing the device across the network. If I pick RPI-DAC then I can see it in Roon but I get a horrible distorted sound when I  pick the device and stream to it in Roon. If I choose RPI BCM 2835 then I can see it in Roon and then when I play to it, I get silence. Also, if I pick the "generic USB" option then every time I go out of the pick device option, I get "none" displayed and Roon cannot see the device.

I have checked the HMDI cable and swapped it out with another good cable. The cables are less than 1m so they are within spec' for the LVDS.

And lastly, the very short (and not too helpful) response from Audiophonics was "This driver is for the Onboard sound card (of the PI), not for an I2S output.

“if you want to use this software solution just choose a generic I2S driver (RPI DAC, Hifiberry DAC, ES9023 etc ...)." Obviously I am trying these with the results above!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mark

I found the answer myself. It seems that Audiophonics, the vendor, don't know how to set up their own machine. There are jumpers inside on the HMDI output board that need to be set to "PS". Audiophonics asked me to send the unit back as it was "faulty" which would have meant stumping up for postage to France and then of course, they would have discovered it wasn't faulty when it got there (assuming they were actually able to work out how THEIR device works) and then I'd have to pay international post back to Australia.  I sorted it out myself no thanks to them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2018 at 1:57 AM, scumbag said:

I found the answer myself. It seems that Audiophonics, the vendor, don't know how to set up their own machine. There are jumpers inside on the HMDI output board that need to be set to "PS". Audiophonics asked me to send the unit back as it was "faulty" which would have meant stumping up for postage to France and then of course, they would have discovered it wasn't faulty when it got there (assuming they were actually able to work out how THEIR device works) and then I'd have to pay international post back to Australia.  I sorted it out myself no thanks to them.

Well done! :) Just saw your post but seems you have sorted it out now. I navigated a similar experiment and found that I was mostly on my own too, but was fun in the end to find the answers by experimenting. I set up a sparky/network roonstreamer with an LVDS I2S Module into my PS Audio Junior Dac. As you have discovered HDMI I2S is quite specific and needs correct wiring. Enjoy!

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

Now that i've got it set up correclty with a good power supply (teddy pardo) and a good HMDI cable (QED reference), it sounds amazing. Feeding into my DirectStream Junior via I2S it is hands down the best sound I've had in my system. I've owned Ultra Rendus with LPS-1 PSU's and even a SOTM 200 Ultra with the switch MOD and they didn't come near the sound of the streamer.

Who would have thought that a PS Audio DAC would sound best via I2S ;)