IGNORED

New HDPLEX 200W LPS

My first unit of the new hdplex 200w did not have earth ground connection and I had an replacement for an new hdplex 200w unit that I yesterday opened up and discovered that it didnt have the ELNA caps 3300uf 50v instead it had Rubycon yxf 3300uf caps rated only for 35v. So this is not good. I wonder what voltage those caps are exposed to? This could be dangerous if it is over 35v or even if it is 35 there could be problem if there is a spike?

They seem to have done this because the lead time is long for ELNA and the price is the same for Rubycon according to an email I got. 

3 hours ago, rickca said:

I sent your post to HDPLEX.  Here is their response.

The highest voltage we use is 25V for 19V rail.

Your original unit is the only one that was missing the yellow earth cable.

This must mean that it is verified that there is no other unit out there that is not earthed.  So all who bought an unit  controlled that it is connected to earth?

3 hours ago, rickca said:
A small batch of the 200W LPSU use Rubycon due to long lead time of ELNA.  Their performance and spec are similar.
New batch will have ELNA.

I have never heard anything special about Rubycon yxf reagarding audio and also if the unit is heavily advertised to be using ELNA caps should it not be so? I mean it is the second statement on the product page:

elna.PNG.eb1077f6b87e175303bec06d6e344b88.PNG

It is also in the specs right there at the top:

hdplex200w_specs.PNG.e1c6c79a9e05f97354edec5e7be033ff.PNG

This mean a batch can contain arbitrarily components based upon what is available at the given momement of production. If LT3045 has long lead time there might be LT3042 in an batch and so on. The way it is let known to the users is if they open the unit and check carefully.

Just now, gsquared said:

Thanks for sharing this. Mine definitely has the ELNA caps but not sure about the earth ground connection. Can you share a photo of what I should be looking for? Thanks!

It should look like this (yellow cable this is right behind the iec power inlet) connects to the backplate I think

669336236_20190206_175547-kopia.thumb.jpg.b3f271163725a768d9afc7b2fcd03b3c.jpg

But the best way is to check is with an multimeter. Take for example out an screw from the top plate and measure from the screw hole to the IEC power inlet ground. It should be connected if there is earth connection to the chassis.

• 3 months later...

I recieved the new version of the hdplex 200W power on wednesday. It got the upgraded heatsink on the rectifiers and also some changes to the IEC input board and also the XLR output board and also a pair of components on the mainboard. I was a bit worried that this might change the sound for the worse, but I must say I'm at happy with the supply and even think it maybe performs a little bit better than the old version. It seems to have a little more detail and maybe little more air and dynamics and directness to the sound in my system. But when I installed the new hdplex I fixed the positions of the cables better than before, so it might have changed the sound for the better (it has happened before).

Before I switched over to the new hdplex 200W I had the CPU on an sotm sps-500 and the matrix element h USB pcie card on an paul hynes sr4 and an 400w hdplex atx supply on the 19V output of an old hdplex 200W and an ssd on an adjustable rail of the same hdplex.

Now I have the CPU on the 12V out of the new hdplex and the pcie USB card and ssd on both of the adjustable rails and the 400W on the 19V. So all is on the new hdplex. Compared to the sps-500 and sr4 in the system the music now is more natural, it just has this raw dynamic power and I noticed that some hash in the  treble has also disapeared, to call the treble more natural is a good word. It is just more calm and musical to my ears with the same level of details that I can hear. I think this might have to do with that the sps-500 is a switching supply and therefore introducing some noise in the system and also it does not have the same power to give to the CPU.   

I have not experimented with the sr4 in any combinations with only the new or old hdplex,  but just that the 2 of 4 rails of the hdplex 200W at $485 beats an 2 single rail combination that costs around $1000 is quite a feat. So now the the quality issues are fixed that I can see and my business with hdplex got fixed to my satisfaction, I am sincerley happy  and feel confident about the supply!

• 3 weeks later...

My experience is quite different. Actually the hdplex brings less sibilance and brings a more analogue sweet natural tone than I had before. I guess this might be system dependent going from ac power grid and ethernet/wifi and airborne pollution and also other circumstances. We are dealing with frequencies here and one always have vulnarbilities that will ripple down to the audible range and that might lead to that the result will be quite different dependent on ones relative situation. I for one feel in my system that upsampling from 44.1kHz to 48kHz and running the cpu @2.4Ghz brings calmness and keep the high frequenzy hash and jitter down but anothers environment might be otherwise. 

• 1 year later...