IGNORED

New HDPLEX 200W LPS

On 2/9/2019 at 2:42 PM, rickca said:

I like your idea of actually listening to the different configurations rather than relying on specs.  We also need to keep cost and complexity in the calculus ... or we're going to end up with a custom SR7. 🙄

I want one but it is out of my budget 

12 hours ago, LTG2010 said:

Voltage is fine - but I would send it back and get the power supply as specified or get your money back.

I will send it back too, it is advertised and though voltage is within range and regulated for 25V there will be a difference using rated 35 vs 50 caps in terms of performance and longevity. 

Reminded me the issue with my project s2 pink capacitors recall. 

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, PeterSt said:

Because any 12V fed to a 12V ATX system will drop to lower (like under 11V) so the ATX system (yes, "system") shuts off. It is a bit of Ohm's Law in order here. In the end the main power supply isn't powerful enough (not enough buffer capacitance and else the transformer not beefy enough).

Hi Peter, thank you for clarifying, I'm not an EE, so the board will sense voltages and if these are below 12V let's say 11V (I'm just using round numbers) will shut off, have you or do you know if someone have tried feeding 13V from a DC LPS with good results assuming voltage will drop to 12V or so?

Now I realize the answer to my question is probably not possible, the voltage drop depends on the load (specific motherboard, cpu and other parts) which should be different for each system. The atx power supply has voltage regulators guaranteeing the output voltage and current based on load (ohms law) which with the LPS and the DC to DC adapter could not be achieved, you need a bridge with caps and regulators to do so and that's the DC to atx adapter that hdplex supplies and it is fed with voltage margins above 16V.

Too bad this cannot be simplified, 

Let me know if I'm disparaging here 

Ty