rickca

New HDPLEX 200W LPS

Rate this topic

On 1/1/2019 at 10:37 PM, rickca said:

I'm evaluating the new HDPLEX 200W LPS.  

So far I'm very happy with the sound quality.  I'll be testing this LPS in more use cases.  I plan to try it together with the HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX for the 24-pin motherboard connection of my i7-6700K Windows 10 server.

@rickca can you please share your thoughts about the hdplex 200w after using it for more than a week? I’m curious because it has gotten my interest but what’s holding me down is the “midfi” reputation that some people give this versatile and affortable power supply.

4 hours ago, bobfa said:

I will also take that homework assignment!  My HDPLEX 200 should be here tomorrow.  IT will be powering my NAS and my Roon Server.    

Looking forward to it, your step by step approach in other topics is really helpful and constructive.

Would it make sence to invest in hdplex’s dc-atx converter if my motherboard (supermicro X10SBA) accepts 12v input by 4 pin molex? It seems the voltage regulators in this converter are of high quality.

BTW Larry is willing to adjust the voltage of the 2 fixed dc outputs to personal preferences of the hdplex200w for free, which is a very nice service I believe. 

For the record, I never said it’s midfi, this improved lps deserves a fair chance to have a place in the upper ranges of linear power supplies. I’ve asked a few contributive members personally for their opinion and they’re all positive. It’s just that I’m not that privileged to “try” a new power supply now and then, I have to spend it wisely.

8 hours ago, FredericV said:

and then one of those rails start to fluctuate and the motherboard is gone .... I have several of these HDPLEX supplies where the voltages started to drift upwards, or downwards

It’s good to warn customers if quality fails. If I’m correct you’re the owner/ developer of the 432 EVO streamer. Did you use the hdplex in your product? I’m trying to understand your perspective and your experience with hdplex. And in what year is your experience based on and on how many?

I believe this information is essential when warning us about a product. Hdplex is a brand with quite a long history and a Google search did not result in any issues besides your comment. Please share, Thanks in advance.

16 hours ago, LTG2010 said:

Even better :) use all four rails of the HDPlex to power the board, 3.3v, 5v & 12V for the 24pin and 12V (you can get it configured 2x12v in lieu of 19v) for the 4 pin. Now we are in high end server territory. No need for the DC/atx converter.

This sounds interesting but have no clue what you mean. Is there a picture or scheme that would make this more comprehensive?

5 hours ago, LTG2010 said:

You now have 3 connections, 3.3V, 5V, 12V for your HDplex rails, the black is common on the board so all 3 power supply rails ground can be joined together or daisy chained, with the motherboard black ground cables.

Similar principle for the 4 pin 12V this will connect to the 4th HDplex (12V rail) seperately powering CPU.

This is really helpful for understanding atx, thanks for that. It raises more questions though

Powered like you suggest, does the ssd now gets it’s own ‘clean’ 5v or is it still wise to power is separately?

Second, I cant find any 4 or 8 pin cpu power on my Supermicro X10SBA, is the cpu in this case fed by one of the 12v 24pin atx? And if so, could that be a disadvantage soundwise?

I can imagine a very low tdp server board like this mine (about 10 watt iddle, 15 watt at use) doesn’t need it’s own dc (4 pin) or even double (8 pin) to deliver the juice like a very powerhungry cpu does. But it’s just a guess. Could not find any info about that on the internet.

For anyone who is interested in using the hdplex 200w as an “atx-ish” power supply (like @LTG2010 has suggested): a cable like this is needed to connect to the 4 rails. I have asked Ghent if they’re capable of building such a cable and will keep you guys informed. My goal is to implement JSSG360 with an as low as possible AWG quality cable

E0A48F17-BE67-4FDE-A978-66B6CC0545FF.jpeg

4 hours ago, LTG2010 said:

There aren't any negative voltages on your board, or most boards for that matter that's why I left them out.

Negative voltages.... the pc’s reverse gear to power the “undo” button perharps?

Couldn’t resist, cheers.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. DC always has a + and - wire. Earth or drain (or ground?)  is the 3rd cable for current leakage to flow away into the earth / drain / ground. This is very confusing to me. It seems that the terms "negative", "ground", "earth" and "drain" are not always used the the same. In the xlr pinout figure, nr 1 is called ground, which I interpretit the same as "earth" or "drain". But in the atx pinout I believe the black "ground" pin is used here as negative. Is that correct?

Second confusing thing for me, most DC plugs only have 2 wires: + and -, like the standard barrels of a laptop power cable. My question is, how to properly use the 3rd earth/ drain wire (out of the hdplex 200w for example)  when powering the motherboard. When powering my supermicro x10sba by the 4 pin dc plug for example (which is basicly a double + and a double -) the earth or drain is not used at all. Yet, the manual of the motherboard says:

"Although a chassis may have both plastic and metal mounting fasteners, metal ones are highly recommended because they ground the motherboard to the chassis." This implicates that the motherboard is connected to the chassis, and the chassis must be connected to the 3rd earth or drain pin.

Third, for what it's worth, my supra ply 3.4s speaker cable has a sheeld around the + and -, the sheeld must be attached to the earth or drain of the amplifiers in order to float away the garbage that this shields picks up. Same goes for mains cable supra lorad 2.5, which has a sheeld wrapped around +,- and drain. This shield should be connected to drain at the inout side of the cable. Is this “picking up and floating away” of garbage also implemented in the JSSG 360?

XLR-balanced.jpg

Standard ATX.jpg

On 1/22/2019 at 3:41 PM, LTG2010 said:

From your DC power you will connect + 3.3V, 5V, 12V to the corresponding connections, You will connect a ground from each DC supply to the Ground on the motherboard, since the grounds are common they can be connected together or individually.

Connecting the DC ground to AC earth or an earth block for emi drain off is viable and will reduce some HF noise, you can connect 1 end of your shield to ground. Because all the grounds are common, and as is probably the PC case, you can just take one ground point to your earth block.

Thanks for the great info again. Do I understand you correctly that if the motherboard is connected to the pc’s chassis, that the atx cable’s ground is indirect connected to the chassis and that connecting the chassis to the ground is sufficiënt?

I have a 15 meter long dedicated metal rod drilled in the ground. It has made a HUGE improvement soundwise, going from a straat shared rod. That’s why earth or drain has gotten so much attention.

Btw, the atx cable that is made contains 6 starquad 21awg silverplated wires, all jssg360, 4 xlr plugs and one 4 pin molex.  Really looking forward to the results. Unfortunately the lead time for the custom hdplex 200w is 4 weeks.

7 hours ago, sypderman88 said:

Hi,

So far is there any comparison with SOTM SPS-500 especially when powering either SOTM 200 or Intel NUC player ?

Thanks

The customized hdplex 200W will take another 2 weeks before shipment to Europe. It will be compared with sps500 powering a motherboard.

The prototype atx cable from Ghent using all 4 rails is om it’s way btw.

I will report in detail when everything works and is tested properly. This is what we’ve agreed upon.

1 hour ago, henke said:

My first unit of the new hdplex 200w did not have earth ground connection and I had an replacement for an new hdplex 200w unit that I yesterday opened up and discovered that it didnt have the ELNA caps 3300uf 50v instead it had Rubycon yxf 3300uf caps rated only for 35v. So this is not good. I wonder what voltage those caps are exposed to? This could be dangerous if it is over 35v or even if it is 35 there could be problem if there is a spike?

They seem to have done this because the lead time is long for ELNA and the price is the same for Rubycon according to an email I got. 

Thank you for the info. Can you please share some pictures so others with less electro-Engineering skills like myself can check / recoignize?

The new batch of the 200W will have improved grounding and gold plated IEC connector. It will be shipped end of februari.

Really looking forward to do some testing.

5 hours ago, tboooe said:

I have purchased 2 different power supplies from HDPlex without any issue and I am waiting for my 200w version that was supposed to be ready by end of Feb. Larry told  me this batch will include the ELNA caps.  I am going to ask if the hanges to the transformer as described above will also be included.  I will everyone posted.

The batch that was supposed to be ready at the end of februari will be ready somewhere next week. 

The 200w I’m expecting somewhere at the end of this month will be on 24/7. This worries me a little bit since we’re having small children. Is this project work risking the safety of my family? To answer this I must estimate what the risks are and how big the chances are they will occur. Is catching fire one of them besides failing?

Before used in my home I’ll probably let it run around 200 hours on a spair system in my garage with no combustible material in a range of 1 meter around it.

34 minutes ago, LTG2010 said:

Your board will not draw much current and is unlikely to stress the components. Hopefully your unit will have the problem resolved.

You could also install a lower rated fuse for added safety if it's a worry. I do wish some manufacturers would test their products more thouroughly.

Thank you for your respons. A good friend of mine, who is an engineer, basicly said the same. 

The addressed problems are below what one would expect, at least in “western” standards. In case of low current the risk of fire is estimated very low so far. Nonetheless, I will test/ burn in for 200 hours in a safe environment. Still looking forward to it.

Larry informed me the earlier mentioned problems are being solved by a lower current limmit and a bigger heatsink. I feel confident they’re taking this seriously. This has caused some delay, shipment will be next week.

F73465B8-3846-4FB8-A2B2-76D541420F94.jpeg

43 minutes ago, sbronf said:

Wow thank you very much!!

do you think i can connect pc power and prephono together, both at 19v, without exceeding 10A ... or is the prephono too sensitive?

Volt x amperage = watt. So the hdplex is rated 19 x 10 = 190 watt. Look in the specs of the devices you want to power, do the math and keep it below 190 watt.

For pc look at the TDP value (watt) of the processor and multiply this by, say, 1,5 for the rest of the components. Pm me if you need further help.

4 minutes ago, sbronf said:

Thank you vero much for your answer.

About power consumption there are no problem because PC+prephono don t exceed 100watt more or less.

My “ worry” about the connection to the same output of hdplex psu, is:I lose the isolation? For example: pc + prephono on the same 19V output, can it happen that the noise coming from the PC, arrives to pre phono?

The general consensus is that it does degrade soundquality. To what degree I can’t answer that. I’ve used a Y-split cable to power an sms200 and an uptone regen and could not hear an increase in sound when I powered them separately. A phono pre-amp on the other hand is quite sensitive, so a combination with a pc would not be my first choise. I would definately separate digital from analog.