IGNORED

New HDPLEX 200W LPS

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, austinpop said:

How this aggregates to determine the current rating for a suitable power supply is unclear. I do know someone who was able to successfully power the ATX input on his mobo, through the DC-ATX converter, using a 19V/5A rail on his SR7. I tried this experiment with another AS'er's SR7 with a 19V/6A rail and ran into an issue, but at the time I was unaware of this DC-ATX transient demand. 

I am not not understanding the need/desire to use a 19V DC-DC switching converter board when all the mobo rails call for 12V and below.  Why not just use a picoPSU-160-XT (http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-160-XT) which passes through without converters the clean 12V from your nice power supplies, and uses DC-DC converters only for the 3.3V and 5V? 

You can be quite sure that the 19V>12V DC-DC switching converters on that DC-ATX board are nowhere near as quiet nor as low impedance as your SR7. 9_9

Have you actually measured the total DC current draw of your motherboard?  How much horsepower are you running these days?

2 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Because any 12V fed to a 12V ATX system will drop to lower (like under 11V) so the ATX system (yes, "system") shuts off. It is a bit of Ohm's Law in order here. In the end the main power supply isn't powerful enough (not enough buffer capacitance and else the transformer not beefy enough).

Sorry Peter, I am not following you here.  Thousands of people use the 12V-input picoPSU-160-XT ATX converter I linked to.  The wiring harness of that model (as pictured in the link) passes the 12V over to the 4-pin connector unmolested, and also to the 12V pins of the 20-pin connector.  It uses DC-DC converters only for the 3.3V and 5V.

So as long as the 12V supply feeding the convenient DC-barrel jack has a decent amount of current, the computer runs great.  Our own JS-2 7.4A 12V supply is powering hundreds of music servers this way. B| As long as the machine is not loaded up with a pile of drives or a hungry graphics card, it’s plenty of current for all but the highest wattage i7 machines.  Not quite enough for 12-core Xenons or Ryzen monsters, but not everyone is running that.