IGNORED

New HDPLEX 200W LPS

1 hour ago, rickca said:

I'm planning to replace Windows 10 with either AudioLinux or Windows Server 2019/AO 3.

In the past 2 weeks I've worked to convert 2 different i7-6700k z270 machines to Audiolinux. In both cases the owners described a major increase in SQ from the software change alone.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

• 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, rickca said:

I'd meant to provide some detail about my experience ... but I encountered a setback.  My 200W LPS went up in smoke and is awaiting repair/replacement.  It was really promising until I fried the rectifier.  I'll have to revisit the viability of my configuration with the new lower current limit on the 19V rail.  Maybe a 91W TDP i7-6700K is just too demanding for this LPS.

Rick,

As you know I'm really enjoying this lpsu with my 6700k machine. I've heavily underclocked this machine, turbo mode is disabled, as is almost every peripheral device. One rail feeds the processor, the other an Hdplex ATX DC to DC supply. The Hdplex 200 watt LPS runs quite cool in this configuration.

For a dedicated music server this combination is terrific, but as power supply for a general purpose Windows PC the 200 watt Hdplex is not going to cut it, and my dangerous as you found out.

Larry

• 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, deanorthk said:

That's exactly the setup I have started to build, a 6700K with a mini itx motherboard (Z170), and I plan to use it with audiolinux, and thie HDplex 200w for roon core, good to know it's working

My success here comes from a very specific configuration of hardware and software with great care taken to avoid high current demand.

So please be careful, you can easily overwhelm the power supply with this rig without realizing it ahead of time.

Just now, tboooe said:

Interesting.  May I ask which one you are using?  Also,. in order to get 12V I assume you are outputting 19V from the HDPlex.

I use both, just as Colin outlined above. Taking 15 volts from the adjustable hdplex lt3045 outputs works perfectly for dropping to 12 volts.

The dxpwr is limited to 1.5 amps, so I use that double regulated on the usb card. The mpaudio handles 3 amps for the 12 volt hdd drive motor.

The star tech usb card handles the drop from 12 to 5 volts on the usb output.

10 minutes ago, rickca said:

Thanks, Larry.  I wasn't even aware that Alexey now offers this DXPWR line of products.

Is this the one you use with the Startech USB card?

http://www.ldovr.com/product-p/dxp-1a5dsc.htm

If so, I assume you specify 12V for output voltage.  What do you specify for the pre-regulator out if you're feeding it from an adjustable voltage rail of the 200W LPS set to 15V?

Yes the dxpwr with 15 volts in with a pre regulator at 13.5 and regulator at 12 volts.

Alexey is working on a 3 amp version as well.

The case with DC connectors is terrific. 

11 minutes ago, rickca said:

Aha!  OK now I get it.  Are you running your i7-6700K full blast (91W TDP) but with turbo disabled, or have you done something in BIOS to further reduce the power requirements?  

Yes, I have done something to reduce power requirements. 😉

Warning - this configuration will not work for a general purpose machine and could be dangerous as power demand can easily exceed the current capacity of the 200 watt supply.

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, tboooe said:

NUC can also be run at 12v too right?

Yes, and if you can try an lps1.2 set at 12 volts. Musicality is off the charts listening to NUCs powered with an lps1.2! Either of the fixed Hdplex 200 outputs make good energizing sources for an Lps1.2.

An lps1.2 can be used to reliably power either a Celeron, Pentium or i7 NUC depending on the size and number of memory sticks and processor frequency and other bios settings.

This is easier done with some nuc models then others. The i7 models can be particularly difficult to setup with an lps1.2.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Nothing else attached to the converter

Like all ATX supplies, the Hdplex needs to see a motherboard or a power supply jumper before it will power up.

Here is what a jumper looks like:

https://www.newegg.com/p/2S7-000C-0A6S2?item=9SIAHBU99E8122&ignorebbr=1&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googlemkp-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googlemkp-pc-_-pla-worldwidesupermarket-_-power+supplies-_-9SIAHBU99E8122&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjMfoBRDDARIsAMUjNZogWfO7hJW99_z42eG8t_QC5oSPWGia1Mk3rRW5x5S2VSqF6Pcv9egaApgKEALw_wcB

I have been powering my Asus z270g motherboard and i7-6700k  with two external power supplies for over a year. At first two independent Sigma 11 LPSUs were used, one set at 12 volts, the other at 19 volts. The 19 volt LPSU connected to a Hdplex 400 watt DC to DC converter.  This adapter was later given to Rickca to say thanks for a favor. I had a second 250 watt DC to DC converter that is used here today.

My memory is that current measured on the 120 volt AC input side of the 19 volt LPSU never peaked beyond 36 watts, but that was likely not a true instantaneous peak.

This past winter the Sigma 11s were replaced with a single Hdplex 200 watt supply with the fixed 12 volt output directly connected to the CPU and the fixed 19 volt output connected to the 250 watt DC to DC Hdplex ATX adapter. The two lT3045 outputs are used to power a hard disk and Startech USB card via additional Lt3045 regulators.

The machine is set to run at a clock speed of 800mhz via Audiolinux controls. Here are the current temps with the fan disconnected and Roon server playing music. 

[audiolinux@audiolinux ~]$ sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +33.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0:        +33.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:        +33.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 2:        +32.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 3:        +31.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1:       -273.2°C
temp2:        +27.8°C  (crit = +119.0°C)
temp3:        +29.8°C  (crit = +119.0°C)

iwlwifi-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +41.0°C

pch_skylake-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +35.0°C

The room is 80 degrees F (27 C). Six degrees above ambient is pretty good. The Hdplex supply runs close to human body temparature of around 100 degrees.

SQ is terrific with this server connected wirelessly to an i7 NUC.

This setup has been reliable and glitch free for over six months. I know of at at least three other people with an exact duplicate of this setup. Everyone is happy with the result.

8 minutes ago, Dev said:

If I am not mistaken, @austinpop is using the 400w DC-DC ATX. Their requirement might be different that the 250w version but the 200w LPS should be able to power them both.

Yes both work. I used the 400 watt before sending to @Rickca. Current demand is much closer to 36 watts as mentioned above so both atx converters can handle current demand from the motherboard atx connector with lots of headroom.

While one could power the CPU and a GPU from the same Hdplex DC to DC converters, it is easy to see how this could take the 200 linear supply above it's rated output.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, davide256 said:

Audio system updated to reflect current configuration/ PS's in use

Unfortunately the HDPlex 12V feeding the LPS 1.2 power input just died, looks like a warranty field trip is pending. 

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about the 12 volt tap. Good luck with that!

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

I have described my problem to Ghent (email: [email protected]). We quickly reached a deal.

HDPLEX 200W Linear Power Supply
On the left are the old cables, on the right the new ones:
2 x DC42 (B) --- XLR (female) to DC (7x5.0) Canare 4S6 cable (JSSG360) => 5V / 2A will go to JCAT USB / NET FEMTO cards
1 x XLR (Female) to Oyaide DC-2. 1G Neotech 7N 16AWG copper => 19V / 10A power supply for my AudioPC

spacer.png

HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX
The old cables have been replaced by much higher quality:
A. DC input --- 7. 4.5. 0 Female to Molex-6P with Neotech 7N 18awg wire
B. 24P-24P ATX --- Neotech 7N 18awg wires with Black sleeve
C. 8P-8P CPU EPS --- Neotech 7N 18awg wires with Black sleeve

spacer.png

Very good quality. Everything works.

Very cool. Can you show us how you get the power into the case?

• 11 months later...

I would always recommend a split power rig with a 12 volt 10 amp LPS rail powering the CPU/EPU and a 19volt 10 amp rail powering an Hdplex DC to DC ATX converter. Used this way I can't hear a difference between the 400 watt or 800 watt DC to DC ATX models.

The new 300 Watt Hdplex LPS handles both rails nicely and sounds great.  Caveat- I haven't tried this with high current demand up-sampling software.

16 minutes ago, jean-michel6 said:

@StreamFidelity@lmitche.   Thank’s for your answers . In my server I am not doing any intensive up sampling . I run a very minimal Linux daphile os and the only job of the server is to send the music file through Ethernet to the engineered upnp player .

Therefore my supermicro X10 sdv-f card is using only 3 to 4A at 12v .

I can feed this board either through the atx connector or a 12v volt connector .

There is no eps specific 12v plug for the cpu .

I understand from your answers that for my set up the 400w dc to atx hdplex is probably the right choice .

My dc source is a Sean Jacobs dc3 psu .

Interesting, yes you are trading the Hdplex SMPS for the onboard SMPS. My guess is that the Hdplex sounds better, but I'd try both if possible.

Does your SJ LPS output >= 16 volts for the Hdplex?

• 1 month later...
On 9/25/2020 at 5:01 PM, henke said:

You know ”Larry” is fony right? He is not real

This is nonsense. While Larry may be an anglicized version of his Chinese name, I regularly receive packages from Larry with his last name and address in California clearly printed on the label.

Regardless, his service is terrific and he offers some of the highest value products available.