IGNORED

New HDPLEX 200W LPS

I have the HDPlex 400w DC ATX powering my music server (Roon and HQPlayer), NAA, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Wireless Bridge, and Switch.  I was thinking about getting another LPS-1.2 to power my NAA PC or this new HDPlex 200W unit.  If I get the HDPlex then I can also use it to power my Switch, Wireless Bridge, and LPS-1 units, so that I can use the 400W unit just for the music server.  My ultimate question though is which option would potentially sound better.

Option 1 - get LPS-1.2 to power NAA, keep Wireless Bridge, Switch, LPS-1 and LPS-1.2 powered by existing 400W DC ATX

Option 2 - get HDPlex 200W unit to power NAA, Wireless Bridge, Switch, LPS-1 and LPS-1.2, 400W DC ATX powering only music server

Opinions appreciated.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

21 hours ago, austinpop said:

Not sure if ATX voltages (12, 5, 3.3) derived from same rail, or separate rails?

I have the 400w ATX and would be happy to open it up to take pics for someone smarter in electronics to see if they can figure this out.  I did attach 2 pics I just took.  The first one shows the various voltages (35, 20, 15, 10) on the pcb.  The second pics shows each pair of wires from the pcb and transformer going into separate blocks.  

IMG_20190113_075129.jpg

IMG_20190113_075150.jpg

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

1 hour ago, LTG2010 said:

Those are bridge rectifiers in the second pic, the diode circuits, the transformer's AC output rails are converted to DC and passed onto the regulators in the first pic, which regulate down to the  voltages required for the various outputs on the power supply.

It looks like 2 rails from the transformer are used, its not uncommon to use 2 rails and then split them up further, but you can take a closer look at the wires going to the rectifiers from the transformer, it could be 4.

Thank you.  I see 4 pairs of wires from the transformer going to 4 bridge rectifiers.  Does that mean there are 4 independent rails?

Other components:

3 hours ago, Lebouwsky said:

This weekend I pulled the trigger and ordered the hdplex 200w. Instead of a 12 and 19v fixed output I’ve asked Larry to install 2 fixed at 12v and 2 variable outputs. My plan is to use 3 rails to power the motherboard’s atx without the dc to atx converter. It needs 12, 5, 3.5v for atx plug and the 4th 12v output to separately power the cpu. Last but not least a rather complex cable like @LTG2010 suggested (thanks again for that).

I also just placed the identical order.  I already down the HDPlex 400W ATX linear power supply that I will continue to use with my server.  The 400W lps has good noise characteristics at 2-3mv ripple.  I plan on using the high quality variable output of the 200W lps for my  switch and NAA pc.  I will use the fixed 12V output for my wireless bridge and possible to energize the the LPS1-2 I also have.  

Other components:

• 3 weeks later...

5 hours ago, Lebouwsky said:

The prototype atx cable from Ghent using all 4 rails is om it’s way btw.

Do tell....so what is Ghent doing to this cable that will make it different from a standard atx cable?  Is this the 20/24  pin mobo connector?  What about the 8 pin for the CPU?

Other components:

4 hours ago, rickca said:

The HDPLEX 200W LPS ($485) can deliver up to 10A on its 19V fixed rail.  Together with an HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX ($95), we have a solution that's a good fit

I wonder if this combination sounds better than powering the server directly with the HDPlex 400w AC to DC lps atx which I have?  I have the 200w lps on order and I have the first generation DC-atx so I can do a.comparison.  No exactly a perfect test because I don't the current version of the DC-atx but an interesting test nonetheless.  Based on specs alone, the 400w lps is better than the DC-atx in terms of ripple.

3 hours ago, lmitche said:

In the past 2 weeks I've worked to convert 2 different i7-6700k z270 machines to Audiolinux. In both cases the owners described a major increase in SQ from the software change alone.

Curious what OS where these people coming from?  I used audiolinux in the past for my NAA but preferred the sound of a Windows based one, perhaps because of the driver and settings.

Other components:

17 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Yes, this is a burning question in my mind too. What is the penalty in SQ of the DC-ATX adapter fed from a single 19V rail, vs. using 4 independent rails directly driving the ATX and EPS voltages.

Once I get the HdPlex 200w lps I will compare.  Interesting comments I recently read on other threads about powering the mobo and cpu from separate rails.  I've been doing this with my 400w HdPlex lps for years now.  Maybe I've been doing it right the whole time without really knowing what the heck I was doing!

Other components:

7 minutes ago, rickca said:

@austinpop and @tboooe you may want to read this post from @lmitche again.  He has already made some progress in answering this question with his configuration #3.  I don't have the cable necessary to try this myself.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55247-audiolinux-server-configurations-software-hardware-and-listening-impressions/?do=findComment&comment=924226

I saw that but he is still powering the Mobo through the DC ATX which has worse specs than the 400w HDPlex lps.  The 200w lps has better specs than the 400w however.  When I get my 200w lps I can try all sorts of different configurations.  Perhaps the ideal would be to use the 400w lps for the Mobo and the 200w for the CPU????

Other components:

6 hours ago, henke said:

My first unit of the new hdplex 200w did not have earth ground connection and I had an replacement for an new hdplex 200w unit that I yesterday opened up and discovered that it didnt have the ELNA caps 3300uf 50v instead it had Rubycon yxf 3300uf caps rated only for 35v. So this is not good. I wonder what voltage those caps are exposed to? This could be dangerous if it is over 35v or even if it is 35 there could be problem if there is a spike?

They seem to have done this because the lead time is long for ELNA and the price is the same for Rubycon according to an email I got. 

Hmmmmm this doesn't sit well with me. I would prefer to stick with the ELNA caps.  

Other components:

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

HI all,

I have I believe the updated 200W model as I got it in 2019, but it just spontaneously smoked yesterday!   I was  using 19Vm and 2 of the 5 V for  SATA and USB bridge and it happened only few min after I turned off the main HDPLEX PC. Has anyone experienced this with the new model too ? 

Dude that's a bummer but I will say with total confidence that Larry will take care of you.  Have you contacted him?

Other components:

• 2 weeks later...

I have purchased 2 different power supplies from HDPlex without any issue and I am waiting for my 200w version that was supposed to be ready by end of Feb. Larry told  me this batch will include the ELNA caps.  I am going to ask if the hanges to the transformer as described above will also be included.  I will everyone posted.

Other components:

35 minutes ago, Lebouwsky said:

The batch that was supposed to be ready at the end of februari will be ready somewhere next week. 

Larry said this batch will also have the the changes to the transformer and additional heatsinks for the rectifier too.  Hopefully mine wont smoke!

Other components:

• 1 month later...

Just got my unit today.  I ordered in January and have been assured by Larry that it includes all the updates that have been previously discussed.  I already have the 400W ATX that I use to power my server.  This 200w unit will power my end point, wireless bridge, switch, and 2 LPS1.2.  I'll report back later tonight with my initial impressions.

Other components:

Last night I tested one of the adjustable outputs of my new HDPLEX at 12v with my end point which is just an i3 based mini PC.  I was previously using my HDPLEX 400W lps to power the end point.  The difference using the 200W lps was subtle but immediately noticeable.  To my ears, the background got a bit more black and quiet allowing me to hear more nuance and detail.  The music sounded a bit more organic and natural.  Today I will use the other adjustable output to power my switch.  The other test I want to do is compare this lps against the Uptone LPS1.2 powering my Singxer SU-1 and USB Regen.  Has anyone else compared the HDPLEX 200W against the Uptone LPS1.2?

Other components:

25 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Adding a DXPWR or MPaudio double or single lt3045 regulator(s) in serial to the lt3045 output of the new Hdplex takes things to another level. Powering the 12 volt inputs of my HDD enclosure and Startech USB card in this way lead to immediate and significant SQ increases.

Interesting.  May I ask which one you are using?  Also,. in order to get 12V I assume you are outputting 19V from the HDPlex.

Other components:

23 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Yes the dxpwr with 15 volts in with a pre regulator at 13.5 and regulator at 12 volts.

dumb question...what is the purpose of a pre-regulator?  I was a bit confused by this option on the ordering page.

Other components:

Hi guys, please excuse me if this is a ridiculous question but I am a bit confused about the idea of adding a separate LT3045 power supply after the HDPlex to further refine the output.  The basis for this approach is that the 4 LT3045s in the HDPlex are not able to meet the theoretical performance specs (ripple, noise, etc) so additional LT3045s are needed downstream?  Why can't just 1 LT3045 perform the job?  Is it because each one can only "improve" the power output by some percentage so adding more is required.  If so then at some point we reach the law of diminishing returns.  What dictates the number of LT3045 required to reach the theoretical spec?  Is it the quality of the input power?

Thank you in advance for helping me get my head wrapped around this.

Other components:

On 4/29/2019 at 7:32 AM, rickca said:

Thank you for this.  This is very educational.  I guess now, my question is what is the point of diminishing returns where adding another  LT3045 does not make any appreciable or audible difference?

Other components:

Ok I've had the HDPlex 200w lps for about a week now and I can say without a doubt that it has changed my system in a good way.  I am using the LT3045 outputs to power my end point and switch.  My wireless bridge is powered by one of the fixed ouputs at 12v.  Previously, all three of these components were powered by my HDPlex 400W ATX lps which continues to power my server.  Powering my end point with the LT3045 output provided the biggest improvement.  The most impactful and satisfying change is the music has more dimensionality.  Instead of being confined to a flat 2 dimensions, music now feels like it has depth to it, almost like a 3d audio effect.  The other major change is that everything sounds more clear and precise with a blacker background.  I am going to try adding one of the DXPWR modules for my end point to see if I can further improvement.  At least for me, this has been one of my most effective upgrades.  

Other components:

6 hours ago, lmitche said:

To my ears the 19 volt fixed output sounds better then the lt3045 output set at 15 volts.

NUC can also be run at 12v too right?

Other components:

3 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Yes, and if you can try an lps1.2 set at 12 volts. Musicality is off the charts listening to NUCs powered with an lps1.2!

That's exactly what I am planning to do shortly!

Other components: