IGNORED

New HDPLEX 200W LPS

HPLEX has posted design diagrams for all 4 rails on the Specs tab.  If you know your way around such documentation, I'd love to hear your observations.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

3 hours ago, zackthedog said:

I take it that the added LT30451's are an improvement over the former design?

That's right, likely a significant one.  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

8 hours ago, wanta911 said:

I guess with the Uptone LPS 1.2 I would have to use the 12v or 19v outlets as the variable outlets max out at 2 amps so don't get to 36w?

The LPS-1.2 charger has a strict requirement for 36W, so you're right.  

• 5 weeks later...

The new 200W LPS will be open for pre-orders shortly.  Clearly, the August 5 date (mentioned in my OP) that was once posted on the HDPLEX website was premature.

• 5 weeks later...

Pre-order is now open for those interested.  USA Stock ETA Oct 20th. Germany Stock ETA Oct 25th.

6 minutes ago, oneguy said:

Why is the ripple voltage so high at 1 millivolt when a sigma11 LPS is around 10 microvolts. Is there something I am missing?

Good question.  Can you please provide a link to your referenced 10 microvolt measurement on a sigma11 LPS?

8 minutes ago, oneguy said:

Your thoughts?

I would want to make sure that we're talking about an actual measurement (not something off a spec sheet) and that we're measuring exactly the same thing so that the results are comparable.  

It's easy to get confused about what is being measured.

For example, iFi says the following about their iPower

Measured on the Audio Precision 2, the iPower has an astonishingly low audio band noise floor of just 1uV! 

Your ebay listing says

Ripple Coefficient: AP Test HIFI Audio Band 20HZ-20KHZ, 10UV level ( without the influence of wires)

Are iFi and the ebay listing are measuring the same thing?  I don't know.  But I doubt these results are directly comparable to those in the HDPLEX video.

If we're going to have a detailed discussion about such measurements, let's start another thread.  I'd like to keep this one focused on the new HDPLEX 200W LPS without getting too far into the weeds.

• 1 month later...

The new HDPLEX 200W LPS has started shipping to people who preordered one, so we should soon have some feedback about the current model.

• 3 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

I'm evaluating the new HDPLEX 200W LPS.  

My NUC7PJYH (10W TDP) running AudioLinux runs great on an adjustable rail set to 15W with no BIOS optimization required to manage power requirements.  The only peripherals are a USB flash drive and a USB cable to my Berkeley Alpha USB.  It's a standalone box streaming Qobuz using LMS/Squeezelite over wireless.

I'm also using the 19V fixed rail on my Asus RT-AC3100 router in place of the supplied SMPS.  Note that each rail has its own ground.  

So far I'm very happy with the sound quality.  I'll be testing this LPS in more use cases.  I plan to try it together with the HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX for the 24-pin motherboard connection of my i7-6700K Windows 10 server.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Lebouwsky said:

@rickca can you please share your thoughts about the hdplex 200w after using it for more than a week? I’m curious because it has gotten my interest but what’s holding me down is the “midfi” reputation that some people give this versatile and affortable power supply.

Who says the new 200W LPS is midfi?  It isn't a Paul Hynex SR4, but that costs about $425 for a single adjustable rail.  I bought my SR4 with a DC3FSXLR silver cable that cost $115.  And that isn't even high end compared to the SR7. But I'm not going to want an SR4 or an LPS-1.2 for every device.

I really haven't done enough listening yet.  My time for audio has been pretty limited recently.  I've spent quite some time recabling the Windows 10 i7-6700K server I built 3 years ago to try the HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX.  Mostly I've just been figuring out the best way to use the HDPLEX 200W LPS in my system, so I've done some testing on both my server and my NUC7PJYH/AudioLinux endpoint.  For the endpoint, I've settled on using my SR4.  

3 hours ago, Lebouwsky said:

It’s just that I’m not that privileged to “try” a new power supply now and then, I have to spend it wisely.

I totally get it.  I just prefer not to comment on sound quality until I'm confident in my assessment.  

I finally got my dual power supply configuration working on my i7-6700K Windows 10 machine.  The motherboard is powered by the HDPLEX 200W LPS 19V rail/400W HiFi DC-ATX.  I'm only using the 24-pin from the DC-ATX. 

The 8-pin EPS12V on the motherboard (CPU) is powered by a Seasonic X650 SMPS.  The Seasonic also powers the 8-pin connector on my video card (MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G).  So it's doing the heavy lifting (91W TDP CPU and 120W TDP video card).

I also use an adjustable rail of the HDPLEX 200W set to 7.5V to power an Uptone Audio ISO REGEN.

My initial impression is that the system breathes more freely with better PRAT.  It sounds more like music.

I think the performance potential of the HDPLEX 200W LPS is constrained by the DC cables supplied with the unit.  They look pretty much garden variety.  At this price point, you can't afford to include 4 expensive DC leads.  Larry said he is considering offering better quality cables.

I bought a $115 silver cable from Paul Hynes with my SR4.  So it isn't fair to compare it to the HDPLEX unless I get some cables of comparable quality for it.

Hopefully someone can confirm that the HDPLEX sounds even better with upgraded DC cables.  

34 minutes ago, bobfa said:

The AC switch was set to 220V

Yeah there's an orange 110V/220V switch and it ships set to 220V by default.  

1 hour ago, FredericV said:

I still have a brand new 200VA hdplex replacement and it's also bad.

Is it the latest 200W LPS that just started shipping in Nov, or a brand new unit of an old version?   

6 hours ago, austinpop said:

Since the HDPlex also uses an XLR connector for output, could you not try Paul's cable on the HDPlex, and compare it to the stock cable, to assess the magnitude of change the cable makes?

The DC3FSXLR has a 4 pin XLR connector at the power supply end to mate with the chassis connector on the SR4.  The XLR connector on the HDPLEX 200W is 3 pin.

14 hours ago, LTG2010 said:

What would be better is to use the converter with one rail for the 24 pin and the 4 pin with a seperate (lt30451) 12v rail, that would make the board sing.

How can I use an HDPLEX adjustable rail at 12V into a motherboard 4-pin or 8-pin?  Where can I get an appropriate cable?

I guess this would be better than using a fixed rail 19V into the DC-ATX and then connecting the DC-ATX into both the 24-pin and the 4/8 pin on the motherboard?

Note I'm not talking specifically about the X10SBA motherboard here.

44 minutes ago, LTG2010 said:

If you look up ''4 pin ATX extension cable'' / ''8 pin....'', companies like Startech. Akasa, Silverstone etc, make them. Cut off the male end and join the yellow (12v) and black (ground) together. If you don't want to cut up your HDPlex cables, then you'll need a dc female plug/socket to connect to.

I have an 8-pin ATX extension cable.  Don't you mean cut off the female end?  The male end plugs into the motherboard.

Thanks, but I have zero DIY skills to start making my own connectors/cables.

2 minutes ago, austinpop said:

It would be nice if Larry @ HDPlex could supply the 200W with these connectors, so you don't need adapters, like he does the 400W, no?

The connectors are on the 400W DC-ATX unit.  The 200W LPS 19V is designed to be used with this 400W DC-ATX unit.

If you get the 400W ATX LPS you don't need a DC-ATX unit.  Make sense?

All you need is a 24-pin for the motherboard and a 4-pin or 8-pin for the CPU (the 8-pin is usually called EPS12V).  The PCIe is only needed for some graphics cards with either a 6-pin or 8-pin connector because they can't get enough power from the PCIe slot alone.

@austinpop re no rails with LT3045-1 on the 400W ATX LPS, here is some input from Larry at HDPLEX re his current thinking

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?do=findComment&comment=917104

16 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Not sure if ATX voltages (12, 5, 3.3) derived from same rail, or separate rails?

Good question.  You will need to ask HDPLEX about their 400W ATX LPS.

20 minutes ago, austinpop said:

btw - is the LT30451 equal/better/worse than the celebrated LT3045 regulator?

See my post

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/46748-new-hdplex-200w-lps/?do=findComment&comment=896924