IGNORED

Getting PC to read mic/headset combo over single 3.5mm audio jack?

I am using a Turtle Beach Earforce XO One headset for Xbox One.

Plugging the 3.5mm headset plug into the 3.5mm headphone audio jack on PC, only produces sound output - no mic input.

I've tried everything - there are no preset options on windows, from sound options to realtek audio manager. I even installed Windows Sonic / Dolby Atmos for headphones which Xbox One uses - but that only improves surround sound quality.

The solutions so far have been:

1) Plug the headset to the Xbox One controller, which is then plugged into the pc. 

2) Buy a 1-3.5mm female to 2-3.5mm male plug splitter so each headset / mic on the pc has a plug. 

^^ Both very impractical if you ask me. A practical solution would be getting the pc to accept the mic input over the same 3.5mm headset input - just as xbox does, as mobile devices do, OR just about any realistic piece of hardware. It's 2018 and I really need a splitter for this?

I know there has to be some sort of drivers solution for windows. I've tried installing the same headset manufacturer's drivers for other pc-headset products they offer, but they are GUI-based and won't recognize my headset to proceed with installation. 

Does Realtek really own the market for PC audio? It seems like a monopoly almost - I can not find any other pc audio manager drivers/software that would be a solution.

If anyone can help find a practical solution like this I will gift a $20 gift card.

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Maybe I’m a bit slow. What are you trying to do?

@The Computer Audiophile 

Rag on the newbie right? seriously?

No, maybe I'm the slow one - how is there not a driver/software based solution for this?

@Phonautograph it's impractical because it's not just a hardware issue. It can easily be solved by a driver.

Riddle me this - how come when you plug a headset/microphone combo into one single 3.5mm audio jack on your mobile device, both the mic & headset work at the same time?

That's all I'm trying to do... on my apparently obsolete 2017-built gaming PC.

Realtek is the problem here. 

the combo jack is meant for compactibility only and its mainly found on mobile devices to save space. there is no need for that with a pc , and it is hardware and can not be solved by a driver , the 3.5mm ports in a conventional pc are not combo mic/audio ports  , notice that your combo jack has 3 rings on it , 2 for audio and one for a mic , this only works with a combo jack , while ports on PC doesn't connect to the 3rd ring (mic line) thats why you need the splitter 

your device is analog and doesn't require a driver it works through the 3.5mm port (analog) if it were usb then you may have required a diver  , and in your case the only sound driver you will find on your pc is for the device that makes the digital to analog conversion which is your onboard sound DAC chip 

• 1 month later...

So, I posted this thread about a month ago. I finally got a 3.5mm female to 2x 3.5mm male audio splitter, so that I'd be able to split my headset and my headset microphone into the PC.

I bought THIS SPLITTER (PLEASE CLICK LINK TO SEE)

However, although the computer now recognizes the headset as speakers, and also recognizes the microphone in the sound settings - I am getting no sound input through the microphone. 

It doesn't work in a game (fortnite), it doesn't work in windows speech-to-text recognition (used to test voice record), and it does not work in sound>recording>microphone settings (photo below) - BUT again, it is recognized.

mic1.thumb.PNG.1ff317a6ec3cef20a8cdb3ec1fd294c4.PNG

I am guessing it has to be a setting somewhere.

So if you notice, I got the 3.5mm audio splitter that has a white plug and a red plug. Now, this product's description specifically says it can be used to connect a headset to a pc, splitting the speakers and mic. 

BUT - if you look AT THIS PRODUCT'S DESCRIPTION - it is a 3.5mm audio splitter that specifically says "Speaker/Microphone headset Splitter" - and the plugs are green and pink, not red and white.

Does that make a difference? After researching, I see that so long as it is a 3-ring audio jack, it will support the speaker/mic... and i doubt the colors matter. They both have the same exact connectors - 3.5mm TRS female, and 3.5mm TRS male. 

Besides, the one I purchased - does say it can be used to connect cell phone headphones (speaker/mic combo) to pc.

I should be able to get it to work - no?

But how?

Last thing I need to ask is - I have the red plug in the mic jack, and the white plug in the headphone jack - is that correct or backwards?

PLEASE HELP!!!!

9 hours ago, hazeyez said:

So, I posted this thread about a month ago. I finally got a 3.5mm female to 2x 3.5mm male audio splitter, so that I'd be able to split my headset and my headset microphone into the PC.

I bought THIS SPLITTER (PLEASE CLICK LINK TO SEE)

However, although the computer now recognizes the headset as speakers, and also recognizes the microphone in the sound settings - I am getting no sound input through the microphone. 

It doesn't work in a game (fortnite), it doesn't work in windows speech-to-text recognition (used to test voice record), and it does not work in sound>recording>microphone settings (photo below) - BUT again, it is recognized.

mic1.thumb.PNG.1ff317a6ec3cef20a8cdb3ec1fd294c4.PNG

I am guessing it has to be a setting somewhere.

So if you notice, I got the 3.5mm audio splitter that has a white plug and a red plug. Now, this product's description specifically says it can be used to connect a headset to a pc, splitting the speakers and mic. 

That cable will not work. It simply splits the headphone connection in two.

BUT - if you look AT THIS PRODUCT'S DESCRIPTION - it is a 3.5mm audio splitter that specifically says "Speaker/Microphone headset Splitter" - and the plugs are green and pink, not red and white.

Does that make a difference? After researching, I see that so long as it is a 3-ring audio jack, it will support the speaker/mic... and i doubt the colors matter. They both have the same exact connectors - 3.5mm TRS female, and 3.5mm TRS male. 

Besides, the one I purchased - does say it can be used to connect cell phone headphones (speaker/mic combo) to pc.

I should be able to get it to work - no?

But how?

Last thing I need to ask is - I have the red plug in the mic jack, and the white plug in the headphone jack - is that correct or backwards?

PLEASE HELP!!!!

The description for that one is confusing. The spec listing says TRS for both ends even though the description suggests it is what you're looking for. Probably just a typo and they meant to say TRRS for the female end. The separate colours also suggest it is the correct one.

The colors don't make a difference, but the cables have 2 purposes.  The first just splits the 2 channels into 2.  It looks like MicroCenter has the wrong description ( see http://www.shopqvs.com/store/p/2785.aspx ) 

The second cable (with the pink and green looks right)

On 7/28/2018 at 10:55 AM, hazeyez said:

@The Computer Audiophile 

Rag on the newbie right? seriously?

No, maybe I'm the slow one - how is there not a driver/software based solution for this?

@Phonautograph it's impractical because it's not just a hardware issue. It can easily be solved by a driver.

Riddle me this - how come when you plug a headset/microphone combo into one single 3.5mm audio jack on your mobile device, both the mic & headset work at the same time?

That's all I'm trying to do... on my apparently obsolete 2017-built gaming PC.

Realtek is the problem here. 

Your headphone connector has four terminals. The xbox has only three. You need the adaptor from amazon that someone suggested. 

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics