11 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

What did you tell your local record shop when they sold you an SACD created from 44.1 PCM files?

Depends what was written on the SACD material. I know that BIS used to do that, but the material stated explicitly it was sourced from Redbook. BIS said that their classical SACD customers wanted multi channel SACDs, and didn't care that the source was 44.1. The multichannel was what was important to them. I have zero problem with that.
The problem is if they hide the source and charge you "hi-res" prices for an upsampled files.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

@Kal Rubinson : this whole thread peaked my interest and your #1508 response to me(haven't listened to discs in dvd-a or sacd for a long time)- just for giggles i put 2 dvd-a discs the doors and workingman's dead & 3 scad dsd discs the rolling stones singles collection & bob dylan's other side of... and bringing it all back home on my combo changer in multichannel on my avr and switched between them and corresponding albums in hires on Qobuz- boy there is certainly some subtle differences- the discs have clearer crisper sound dylan's voice is more 'forward' the background instruments are 'background' w /more echos(more 'real'?) and workingman's dead a great difference much 'duller' in hires but i always thought the dead's studio albums especially the workingmans dead and american beauty were 2 of best sounding discs in dvd-a i have ever listened to- and now music direct catalogue has these in SACD

haven't done same comparisons using A+3 and ROON vs the actual discs but will

SO- do you think this miniDSP DAC will reproduce the sound of actual discs do you have one?( the cost is low enough to take the chance) ? I certainly have the ability to connect 5 or 7 analogue connections as i already have the setup with changer plus the bass manager into my avr??

I have read with interest you comments on ROON's 'community' page

13 minutes ago, bobbmd said:

SO- do you think this miniDSP DAC will reproduce the sound of actual discs do you have one?( the cost is low enough to take the chance) ?

I don't now exactly how to answer that.  On the one hand, yes, it will play everything up to 24/192 and up to 8channels without any issues but it will not do DSD.  On the other, its audible performance does not compare with that of some other (much more expensive) DACs that I have used.  Whether it is superior to using your AVR (I think that is what you are saying you tried), I have no idea.

Kal Rubinson

Music in the Round

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

15 minutes ago, bobbmd said:

@Kal Rubinson thanks- have you seen post from @dmackta ie  Qobuz down 'attacked' by a DDSO- what is a DDSO/DDOS and how serious do you think this is?(all my playlists are gone from Qobuz and all I get is an error message 500 from Qobuz)

In a distributed denial-of-service attack, which is DDoS, multiple devices - computers =》botnets are used to overwhelm a target server like Qobuz with requests and take web applications offline. Some of the biggest DDoS attacks have made major tech headlines:
A 2016 DDoS attack created disruption for many major sites, including AirBnB, Netflix, PayPal, Visa, Amazon, The New York TImes, Reddit and GitHub.

1 hour ago, bobbmd said:

just received message from @dmackta that Qobuz has been attacked by DDOS anyone else not getting Qobuz on any formats-desktop app ROON or Audirvana+3?? and what is a DDSO??

the app and web player aren't working for me. Thru Roon it is working.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

@dmackta I highly recommend looking into Cloudflare to mitigate DDoS attacks. There's even a free tier of service that will protect you. Not sure it's practical for this specific attack or your configuration, but I'd check it out. We've been using Cloudflare for a year and love it.

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings

8 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

@dmackta I highly recommend looking into Cloudflare to mitigate DDoS attacks. There's even a free tier of service that will protect you. Not sure it's practical for this specific attack or your configuration, but I'd check it out. We've been using Cloudflare for a year and love it.

I few weeks back I was listening to a radio program in the Netherlands. It was talking about DDOS attacks and special services to prevent it. Services like https://www.nbip.nl/en/nawas/

However they are too expensive to traffic all data for most services. I don't think Qobuz can actually afford such a service full time. Most companies use it only when under attack, not full time.

[br]

I'm still getting a JavaScript error when I launch Qobuz Windows desktop ... never seen that before ... but I can access qobuz.com in the USA.

NUC7PJYH/AL --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10 Version 2004/HDPLEX 300W/HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

6 minutes ago, David Craff said:

Can I have a screenshot please ?

Sorry I don't know how to get a screenshot of just the error message.  If you click on the image it will enlarge enough to read the error message.

image.png

NUC7PJYH/AL --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10 Version 2004/HDPLEX 300W/HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's