IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

1 hour ago, Cebolla said:

Enabling JRMC's DLNA renderer is straight forward enough:

...............................................................................................

Unfortunately, I can't think of a Qobuz supporting standard UPnP/DLNA controller application for the Mac, if you'd rather not use a handheld device as the user interface.

Actually, I'd rather not use a Mac.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

6 hours ago, Jud said:

Besides ultrasonics at various frequencies, is there anything else that signifies to you what the original resolution of a musical piece was?

As you can see in the chart, there is absolutely no signal above 27.7kHz, in this case, not even distortions. I seems as if the quality is slightly better than 24/48, but not very much and presumably not really audible. Anyway, there is content above 24kHz and dependent on the recording and mastering method a 88.2kHz or 96kHz container is justifiable, but not 192kHz, IMO.

I'm not an expert in audio recording or mastering, perhaps this somehow special chart is caused by a faulty use of filters. 

4 hours ago, #Yoda# said:

In the special case that I indicated yesterday "J.S. Odara - Tales Of America", I abstained from complaining officially at the customer service because it is a very nice album, the audible differences from 96kHz to 192kHz are in general very slight and I've purchased the album with the Sublime discount to a very fair price, cheaper than CD quality download.

There is one clue that can be used to find what you describe.

Some player applications allow deeper inspection into a stream's metadata than others.  The Qobuz web player doesn't really show much information about the stream, just telling you simple things like "cd quality" or "24/96khz", etc.

LMS shows decompressed flac codec bitrate while the file is playing, that's a metric that doesn't hide anything.  If the bitrate appears low there,  files will show the analysis behaviour you are describing.

For "J.S. Odara - Tales Of America"....I played this via the Qobuz web player, and the app showed an audio stream of 24/192, just like the album is tagged.  I then then played it via LMS.  First track "American Dream"  is showing the stream playing back at a codec data rate of 4632kbps.  That's low for 24/192.  For 24/96 I should see 3200-3400ish kbps, for 24/192 I should see around 5500-6000ish kbps.   "American Dream" falls right in the middle of the two.  If this is a new release, and it was recorded 24/192, flac compression was high during mastering.  Or it was upsampled from a lower resolution source.

This is not limited to hi-res files.  Take the Doobie Brother's album "Toulouse Street".  If played back from the web player, it shows the album playing back at cd quality, 16/44.1.  If played back via LMS, track one "Listen to the Music" is showing a codec data rate of only 863kbps.  For TRUE cd quality, I'd expect to see at least 1000-1100kbps there.  But considering when this album was originally recorded, you won't see a high data rate, media was 'data rate' limited back then.  Album sounds really good when streamed BTW.

So sampling rate is one metric, but it's really just a container.  How much stuff is inside the container is the codec data rate.   That should be right next to each individual track file in the Qobuz app/web player IMO.  A new release showing 24/192 and a low data rate is a red flag for data compression in use or upsampling.

2 hours ago, BrokeLinuxPhile said:

There is one clue that can be used to find what you describe.

Some player applications allow deeper inspection into a stream's metadata than others.  The Qobuz web player doesn't really show much information about the stream, just telling you simple things like "cd quality" or "24/96khz", etc.

LMS shows decompressed flac codec bitrate while the file is playing, that's a metric that doesn't hide anything.  If the bitrate appears low there,  files will show the analysis behaviour you are describing.

For "J.S. Odara - Tales Of America"....I played this via the Qobuz web player, and the app showed an audio stream of 24/192, just like the album is tagged.  I then then played it via LMS.  First track "American Dream"  is showing the stream playing back at a codec data rate of 4632kbps.  That's low for 24/192.  For 24/96 I should see 3200-3400ish kbps, for 24/192 I should see around 5500-6000ish kbps.   "American Dream" falls right in the middle of the two.  If this is a new release, and it was recorded 24/192, flac compression was high during mastering.  Or it was upsampled from a lower resolution source.

This is not limited to hi-res files.  Take the Doobie Brother's album "Toulouse Street".  If played back from the web player, it shows the album playing back at cd quality, 16/44.1.  If played back via LMS, track one "Listen to the Music" is showing a codec data rate of only 863kbps.  For TRUE cd quality, I'd expect to see at least 1000-1100kbps there.  But considering when this album was originally recorded, you won't see a high data rate, media was 'data rate' limited back then.  Album sounds really good when streamed BTW.

So sampling rate is one metric, but it's really just a container.  How much stuff is inside the container is the codec data rate.   That should be right next to each individual track file in the Qobuz app/web player IMO.  A new release showing 24/192 and a low data rate is a red flag for data compression in use or upsampling.

I know this numbers from JRiver MC but doubt that the data rate is a reliable indicator for the final resolution of a track and that there is a stringent correlation to bitrate and resolution. I think, beside this two factors it is very much dependent on the complexity of the music as such.

I trimmed a bit from that post separating the NA Beta, laughable their staff personally vets every track they are adding to the empty spaces, and the well established home office.  The actions of both are bleeding together here. 

I won't go to further lengths defending my suggestion.  At the very least a 10+ album list in one place puts a good amount of information in one place for the NYC staff to view. :)

On 2/22/2019 at 11:26 PM, Musicophile said:

David,

Please use your influence on this topic to tell Qobuz how much this matters.

I really love the service, and have used it for years now, but the search function and, closely linked, the meta tagging of the stuff on offer, could be one of their biggest differentiation factors in the market, especially for classical, but also e.g. differentiating the different remasters of an album.

After all, they are targeting classical music lovers and audiophiles, where those things just matter.

And at this point, search is still pretty much a mess. If

Furthermore, as already flagged previously, I have yet to find an exhaustive list of all new releases, not just the "selection" Qobuz considers relevant.

This is still what I consider Qobuz biggest weakness, or maybe not a weakness, but clearly a lack of positive differentiation.

Hi,

Thanks for this feedback.

I'm in charge of the search engine and know that there is lot's of thing to improve.

The best way to help me, if you want, is to explain me your issue. You can answer this question to do that : 

- Which platform did you use to search on Qobuz? (Desktop, Android, iOS, Sonos...)

- What type of product are you looking for? (Release, artiste, track...)

- What are you looking for? (ex: 3rd movement of Sonata of Piano no. 14 of Beethoven)

- What did you enter?

- Did you find what you were looking for and explain? *

As I explain before I have created some hashtags to test the search engine. Some of them can answer you needs, but stay as beta and can be change in the future. They only work for release, not for artists, tracks, playlists...

Here they are, but don't forget that they may disappear, change or not work properly at any time.

- #HiRes to filter only Hi-Res file, but this one is not set for streaming only (for the moment)

- #MutilChannel to filter release in 5.1

- #NewRelease to filter only new product < 1 month

- #ComposerOnly to filter the query to composer only

- #Award to filter release with award (Qobuz award or Press Award)

If you have idea for #hashtag, tell me.

Regards

Qobuz Product Manager for Desktop, Web Player and Search Engine.

9 hours ago, David Craff said:

We have a dedicated department to check the content delivered by the labels. I'm transferring your example to this department. Thank you. Thank you.

I'm wondering a little bit what this people are doing all day long.🤔

Come on, this album is top of Qobuz charts for download and streaming and your "department" hasn't noticed so far that there is anything strange with the resolution?

Anyway, thank you for transferring! I hope you've done the same with the other obviously upsampled albums in the Qobuz catalog I've posted here recently because I still cannot see any progress.

I do not wonder that it is an UMG album.

6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I think you're shooting the messenger (Qobuz) when you should really be shooting the label that uploaded the files to Qobuz. Sure,  Qobuz says it vets the releases etc... but the real issue is the labels.

Totally agree, but it is the job of the provider to check the quality of the content they're selling to their customers. What would you tell your Porsche dealer when he's selling you a Carrera with a VW Beetle engine?

26 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

What did you tell your local record shop when they sold you an SACD created from 44.1 PCM files?

I know, that there are several SACDs, published at least up to 2015 are upsampled sometimes even from 16/44.1 PCM files. The difference to HiRes download stores and streaming services is that today it is really easy for them to check the quality of incoming files in a first step, except it is a black box like a MQA album https://www.xivero.com/musicscope-server/

21 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

What did you tell your local record shop when they sold you an SACD created from 44.1 PCM files?

On the good side of things, they ‘introduced’ upsampling which was not much used, neither understood at that time. Most of the time it was (is) not easy to hear it was not real SACD.

Of course, there were indeed a lot of fake SACD’s brought to market, which of course fraudulous business practices.

Dirk

I am a new U.S. beta hi-rez user of Qobuz, which I stream through Roon.  I am able to successfully stream most of the Qobuz hi-rez and redbook files, but occasionally I will run into an album that appears to be available for streaming from Qobuz but I get error messages in Roon (to the effect that the song is unavailable) when I try to stream it.  For example, the new Jenny Lewis album appears among the Qobuz new albums and I can add it to my Roon library, but the songs are unavailable when I try to stream them.  Is this  a U.S. licensing issue? 

16 minutes ago, Ski Bum said:

I am a new U.S. beta hi-rez user of Qobuz, which I stream through Roon.  I am able to successfully stream most of the Qobuz hi-rez and redbook files, but occasionally I will run into an album that appears to be available for streaming from Qobuz but I get error messages in Roon (to the effect that the song is unavailable) when I try to stream it.  For example, the new Jenny Lewis album appears among the Qobuz new albums and I can add it to my Roon library, but the songs are unavailable when I try to stream them.  Is this  a U.S. licensing issue? 

That’s because the complete album will only be released on March 22nd.

Info readibily available in the download store of Qobuz.

Best to first check release date in such cases

Dirk

I have several questions about Qobuz and I was hoping I could get some answers here. I have truly been enjoying my free trial and plan on subscribing.

1st Question: I was able to get a now-discontinued Chromecast Audio on the cheap and was led to believe that it would allow me to stream hi-res audio (24 bit, 96kHz) from my iOS device (iPhone or iPad) to my Denon AVR. Is this true? If so, does it matter if I use the 3.5 mm plug to split L/R RCA connectors, or would using the digital optical cable be better?

2nd Question: When I listen to a music track on the Qobuz player on my iPad via headphones that indicates it is 24 bit, 96 kHz, is that actually what I am hearing? Is that also true if I listen to the same on my iPhone X using the Lightning-to-3.5 mm adapter?

Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

Hit my first micro service outage here tonight, only lasted for about 10 minutes though, started a little after 1 am EST.  No hard outage,  just buffers wouldn't fill and playback kept pausing and starting.  Was convinced we were going to lose power again while the audio stutters happened, extremely high winds in new england today, lost power twice.  And a tree.  I checked Tidal and it was still streaming cleanly when Qobuz stuttered.

Whatever it was it cleared fast, unlike my near daily problems with Tidal.  Qobuz way more reliable for me overall so far, keep up the good work.

11 hours ago, #Yoda# said:

I'm wondering a little bit what this people are doing all day long.🤔

Come on, this album is top of Qobuz charts for download and streaming and your "department" hasn't noticed so far that there is anything strange with the resolution?

Anyway, thank you for transferring! I hope you've done the same with the other obviously upsampled albums in the Qobuz catalog I've posted here recently because I still cannot see any progress.

I do not wonder that it is an UMG album.

It's very frustrating to take time out of a problem, to finally have that kind of comment. I will now focus on issues directly related to the products I manage.

Qobuz Product Manager for Desktop, Web Player and Search Engine.