IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

There may be room for debate about whether analogue originals can count as high res when transferred to highish resolution digital (although The White Album is a fair argument in favour); it can at least be argued that 16/44 if well transferred is up the job. But when I described Mark's claim that there were less than 2000 genuine high res albums as bollocks, I provided compelling evidence that that figure was long since past in the classical genre alone.

5 hours ago, R1200CL said:

MQ-A
From an analog master source

Hoo boy, no chance of confusing that with MQA, right? 🙄

I wonder who at MQA decided to use a confusingly similar label (unless they were first and the record companies did it)?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

A discussion about whether or not a musical sounding source is truly hi-res is almost pointless.  Artist and producer work together with the engineer to produce an artistic vision, right?  Is analog synth lo-fi noise captured on 2" tape hi-res?  Or how about captured digitally 24-bit or higher, does that change the classification somehow?  A digital file called "hi-res" should come close to resembling the source, whatever it is and however it was captured, with minimal degradation in sound quality.

6 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

That box does not appear when using Qobuz within Roon and that is the only way that I have accessed/played multichannel.

Thanks Kal.

At this point doesn't seem to be much content in any case. Can't find any web info on the multich streaming,  guess I'll just keep my eyes open. At this point the 5.1 content would be the main reason I'd switch from Spotify for now.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I agree but I was struggling with these issues just in order to find that out.  

Hi Kal - probably a bit of dumb question, but multi-channel audio streams all the time with video. Isn't anyone thinking of riding on Netflix or something to stream the audio? 

I mean, it seems logical. The Netflix subscriber base would (probably) have a much larger base of listeners able to stream multi-channel... ?

I can't believe someone has not put that together and started Qobuz on Netflix. Soundtracks are Us? 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

5 hours ago, Jud said:

Hoo boy, no chance of confusing that with MQA, right? 🙄

What is the MQA format? Is that the same as MQ-A?

MQ RATINGS

Because the different MQ (Master Quality) designations apply based on the source master, there is some potential for misunderstanding.

• you could produce a release entirely in the analog domain, to an analog tape, and then digitally master it at 24-bit/96kHz PCM. That therefore would give it the "High Resolution" designation of "MQ-P"
  • you could record and produce a release entirely in the digital domain using a PCM-based multi-track recorder, and then master it to analog tape. This would give it the "High Resolution" designation of "MQ-A"
  • you could produce a release entirely in the PCM digital domain, and then convert it to DSD, which would therefore give it the designation of "MQ-D"
  • you could produce a release from a 16-bit 44.1kHz master that was upsampled to 24-bit 96kHz, giving it the designation of "MQ-C"

BE488AD5-C840-456D-B291-2985D962797C.jpeg

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

What is the MQA format? Is that the same as MQ-A?

MQ RATINGS

Because the different MQ (Master Quality) designations apply based on the source master, there is some potential for misunderstanding.

• you could produce a release entirely in the analog domain, to an analog tape, and then digitally master it at 24-bit/96kHz PCM. That therefore would give it the "High Resolution" designation of "MQ-P"
  • you could record and produce a release entirely in the digital domain using a PCM-based multi-track recorder, and then master it to analog tape. This would give it the "High Resolution" designation of "MQ-A"
  • you could produce a release entirely in the PCM digital domain, and then convert it to DSD, which would therefore give it the designation of "MQ-D"
  • you could produce a release from a 16-bit 44.1kHz master that was upsampled to 24-bit 96kHz, giving it the designation of "MQ-C"

BE488AD5-C840-456D-B291-2985D962797C.jpeg

Yes, and there are probably 5 people in the world who know and understand these definitions by heart. It's just some industry committee BS that has had zero impact in 4 years. As I said there is no consensus about the definition of hi-res. The above isn't it. It's just a declaration that means nothing in the real world. If there was an agreed definition of hi-res there wouldn't be a discussion about it here and elsewhere.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, JMD54 said:

Chris really needs to step into this thread and put a stop to all of this Hi Res or not nonsense as it has nothing to do with the purpose of this thread.  You guys need to take this discussion to another thread.  

+ 1 on this. 

It's a huge distraction from a very useful thread and as someone has implied above, you struggle to find 2 people that agree on the same definition, let alone agree on the source. It's pretty rare to get two people to agree on the underlying science and its impact on what we hear. Because we all love a conspiracy theory it will continue to resurface but I am sure Qobuz have clarified elsewhere that they don't ever upsample albums. They get them from the labels. 

Having engaged in these threads elsewhere and to jump to the endpoint. The only relevant point of buying a HiRes file is surely - does it sound better or not. If you have Sublime plus, you have the chance to test each album before you buy. Having spent a lot of time on this in the past I got to the point that, FOR ME, there has consistently been sufficient audible uplift for me to be comfortable to pay the premium (albeit the Sublime sub makes this much smaller) and so I don't bother to test every album any more. I can guarantee, you won't find that answer in an academic discussion. I am not saying it shouldn't be discussed, just move it to another thread and TBH it's an industry issue not a Qobuz one. 

So use your ears on this one. 

5 hours ago, Paul R said:

Hi Kal - probably a bit of dumb question, but multi-channel audio streams all the time with video. Isn't anyone thinking of riding on Netflix or something to stream the audio? 

I mean, it seems logical. The Netflix subscriber base would (probably) have a much larger base of listeners able to stream multi-channel... ?

I can't believe someone has not put that together and started Qobuz on Netflix. Soundtracks are Us? 

That idea was raised at the RMAF multichannel seminar and was well received.  Someone needs to run with it.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

This issue were I cannot use qobuz from my phone started again, I played a song on my phone with no issues 1/2 hour ago, then got in the car Bluetooth connected and tried to play another song and qobuz won't let me thinking there is another device playing, any of you experiencing this issue? 

I cannot use it, this is ridiculous 

Screenshot_20190221-101303_Qobuz.jpg

@luisma please be more patient and stop making comments like 'this is ridiculous'- just go to the ROON support/community page and see the problems there with Qobuz integration which I think it is basically from ROON's end( especially my particular issues(s))

So, if you are having bluetooth/carplay problem with listening to Qobuz listen to some other streaming service for a while(I am sure you have more than just Qobuz or listen to Sirius) and stop making hurtful comments to @dmackta or @David Craff who are both doing a yeoman's(yoepersons) job getting this all to work to everybody's satisfaction

bobbmd

20 minutes ago, bobbmd said:

@luisma please be more patient and stop making comments like 'this is ridiculous'- just go to the ROON support/community page and see the problems there with Qobuz integration which I think it is basically from ROON's end( especially my particular issues(s))

So, if you are having bluetooth/carplay problem with listening to Qobuz listen to some other streaming service for a while(I am sure you have more than just Qobuz or listen to Sirius) and stop making hurtful comments to @dmackta or @David Craff who are both doing a yeoman's(yoepersons) job getting this all to work to everybody's satisfaction

bobbmd

Although he could have been more diplomatic than 'this is ridiculous', he had a legitimate complaint about trying to use Qobuz in a normal way, and it was acknowledged as a known bug. I find his post and David's response to be useful. After all, this is a thread for discussing issues with Qobuz.

1 hour ago, bobbmd said:

bobbmd

@bobbmd I have no problems being patient, if the issue is known and acknowledged as I reported it before, if that's the case of course I can wait. I totally understand launching a new service like this and supporting it is very challenging, I have been 40 years in the IT industry.

Note the issue I particularly had with Roon went away and I totally opened a ticket with Roon and requested Qobuz support to close the ticket as the Qobuz app was just working good. And on this post I myself stated it was a Roon's issue not Qobuz.

This repeated issue I have (and the reason I mentioned ridiculous for the frustration of the moment no meaning to "hurt" any hyper sensitivities) happens with only one device with the Qobuz app installed (not Roon), an offline playlist (the song is on my phone not even streaming), played from the phone through the phone speaker is just fine, connected to bluetooth (without any other device playing etc) it says the service is personal. That's why I mentioned the bluetooth as it may provide a hint into something specific and help troubleshooting (maybe not?).

I don't know where you are getting that I am making "direct" and "hurtful" comments to @dmackta or @David Craff, if I referenced an issue before (from what I recall) it was in a proper and polite way and on this thread, which last time I checked is to discuss these issues. This is public site and we (all) have to abide by the rules, we are not here for picking fights or wasting our or someone else's time. As a matter of fact the only direct addressing I have was here to @dmackta and was actually thanking him.

Last but not least, your condescend comment of listening to other service or Sirius is completely out of place here, we are not acquaintances you and I and if I do have or not other services that is my own business not yours or anyone else's.

image.gif

@luisma

I wonder if the issue that you are running into is due to Qobuz servers thinking that it is a different device based on the IP address (wireless connection at home and mobile connection in car).  Do you stop playback before getting in your car and driving away?  I have not run into the issue that you have run into but I have seven devices listed under my Qobuz account (all created on 2/17 when I deleted my UK eval account and recreated it on US servers) and I only have 3 devices that I use (LMS, Phone and Desktop).

8 minutes ago, shadowlight said:

@luisma

I wonder if the issue that you are running into is due to Qobuz servers thinking that it is a different device based on the IP address (wireless connection at home and mobile connection in car).  Do you stop playback before getting in your car and driving away?  I have not run into the issue that you have run into but I have seven devices listed under my Qobuz account (all created on 2/17 when I deleted my UK eval account and recreated it on US servers) and I only have 3 devices that I use (LMS, Phone and Desktop).

Well what you are saying makes perfect sense, I actually disconnected the wireless and got in the car so the phone switched IP. It was not playing at that time during the disconnect. In both instances (WIFI and 4G) the content was offline content but of course the app still goes online for control etc. But since they confirmed it is a known issue I don't see any reason to post anything else here related to that. Thanks for the tip. I will try it regardless.

Like our leader says this is for Qobuz issues sorry i even put my 2cents in good luck with your problem I accept your comments as a newbie here - again sorry if i offended you  and wasn’t being condescending just commenting/making a suggestion

as always- just be patient bobbmd  

18 hours ago, Paul R said:

13 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

That idea was raised at the RMAF multichannel seminar and was well received.  Someone needs to run with it.

Remember that the multich streaming done on Netflix is done in highly compressed Dolby Digital Plus format. Supposedly capable of doing up to 7.1 channels but I'm not aware of anything beyond 5.1 at this time. Since I haven't been successful in getting Qobuz 5.1 working here, I have no idea what the available datarate is.  Maybe Kal knows, I can't find any documentation on Qobuz 5.1 at all.

@David Craff  maybe you can get someone to supply some technical details on 5.1 and what gear/path is required for proper playback.

TIA

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.