IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

@David Craff

Can you tell us what is going on with albums from the BIS label? The UK Qobuz site has most of their catalog, and streams these in hi-res, so I hope these will be similarly hi-res in the US. Here are the quirks:

1. Not all BIS albums available on Qobuz UK are visible in the US. Here's one from UK, but not visible on the US site: https://open.qobuz.com/album/7318599921648
  2. Most BIS albums on the US site only stream 16/44.1
  3. However, I am finding that this one on the US site will sometimes stream in hi-res, and sometimes as redbook: https://open.qobuz.com/album/fk3adfgq5ukib

If this is just more teething troubles, that's fine, I'll be patient!

56 minutes ago, austinpop said:

@David Craff

Can you tell us what is going on with albums from the BIS label? The UK Qobuz site has most of their catalog, and streams these in hi-res, so I hope these will be similarly hi-res in the US. Here are the quirks:

1. Not all BIS albums available on Qobuz UK are visible in the US. Here's one from UK, but not visible on the US site: https://open.qobuz.com/album/7318599921648
  3. However, I am finding that this one on the US site will sometimes stream in hi-res, and sometimes as redbook: https://open.qobuz.com/album/fk3adfgq5ukib

I'm new to Qobuz US (very anxious to leave Tidal behind), and the same thing seems to be true for the Chandos label. I also see that you can't buy albums from BIS, Chandos and a number of other labels. It seems, although I haven't checked this, that with certain classical labels, you can only stream at 16/44 and can't buy at all. 

I assume this is a licensing issue; I sure hope this gets straightened out, because what I was most looking forward to with Qobuz was the ability to stream and/or buy music from those and other independent labels at a discount under the Sublime+ subscription plan. 

On 2/17/2019 at 1:31 PM, Hugo9000 said:

Hyperion isn't allowing their music on any streaming service.

Edited to add:  what's even more annoying about them, is that they have allowed huge numbers of their albums to go out of print.  Nearly all of my Hyperion CDs are no longer available, such as the majority of Howard Shelley's incredible recordings of Rachmaninov's solo piano music.  I hope my discs don't ever suffer from "CD rot," which was an issue for a number of their releases from the early 90s.  haha!  You can buy downloads directly from Hyperion's website, otherwise you're pretty much SOL with them.

CD rot:  https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/pages/bronzed.asp

+1

I don't understand what's wrong with Hyperion; you can only buy from their website at very high prices and can't stream anywhere. And when I digitized my collection, many of my Hyperion albums from the late 1980's and '90's suffered from "CD Rot" and were unplayable. But I found out about this long after they could be replaced.

3 hours ago, MAK1975 said:

I signed up for a Qobuz USA "Studio" subscription late last week and my overall impressions are very positive.

. . .

The only app where I have had issues is with my 64-bit Windows 7 PC client. I initially installed the Quboz desktop app it had a lot of freezing issues.  Basically not navigable.  So I contacted Qobuz support and sent them my info so they can look into it further.  They gave me some suggestions.  They told me to run the app as Administrator. When I did that the interface slow downs and freezing went away. 

Thanks for the information about the 64-bit Windows app working when run as Administrator. I found the app to be unusuable on my 8 year old Windows 10 Pro PC; totally unable to navigate or play anything. But since it worked fine on a new Surface Book 2, I assumed there was some incompatibility with my system. But I tried again running it as Administrator and it works much better. It's still a little slow, but it doesn't freeze, and it is possible to use it. 

On 2/16/2019 at 8:15 AM, goon525 said:

Given that virtually every classical album recorded for at least the last decade has been at high res, and Gramophone magazine reviews well over a hundred a month, this figure of under 2000 is self-evidently, as we in the UK like to say, bollocks.

Her is his answer to how he came to that number:

‘’I arrived at that number after looking at the number of new recordings that were actually recorded and released at 96/24 (or DSD 64) or better. Virtually none of the albums on HDtracks and the other hi-res music sites qualify. They are hi-res transfers of older standard-res masters. Real Hi-Res music albums are only produced and delivered by audiophile labels. Just because some uses 96/24 bits during the recording stage doesn’t mean that the potential of those specs survives to the distribution format``

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

How about multichannel?    

I know that Qobuz can support multichannel but, so far, I have found only a handful of files because I cannot search/focus by format.

Anyone else playing with this?

Not suggesting that there couldn't be a better way to do this but to help out in the meantime, just enter a single letter 'a' (I did try * and that seemed to work too but not tried to validate this too carefully). It will return a list that you  can then filter. Go to the Hi Res quality section and filter out the 5 channel and res that you want to look at (have to do each khz separately). You should be able to narrow down the genre etc etc too. It's probably more practical than it sounds but depends on how you look at things I guess.

Another way is to search for 5.1. and then Surround. 

Hope this helps in the meantime. 

Thanks but I've tried this and I end up examining albums individually since you cannot be certain that an album that says available in 5.1 really is.  More often than not, it is  available only for purchase in that format.

I've tried multichannel, surround, multikanal, 6ch, 5.1, 5.0, 4.0.  Also, I run Qobuz via Roon and, in all cases, my own library of multichannel albums completely swamps what Qobuz offers.  That means that, in all cases, I am sifting through a haystack for the occasional needle.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

35 minutes ago, rando said:

Did you find the menu dropdown from Classical button on top of my screenshot?  I imagine MCH will soon be readily discoverable in their 5.1 "MultiCANAL" section.

Nope.  I didn't see that because I am not on the PublicBeta.  I hope that will happen.

Kal Rubinson

12 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

How about multichannel?    

I know that Qobuz can support multichannel but, so far, I have found only a handful of files because I cannot search/focus by format.

Anyone else playing with this?

You can filter multichannel on your shop site : https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/quality/HD-24-bit/download-streaming-albums?f[qu]=24_96_6

Qobuz Product Manager for Desktop, Web Player and Search Engine.

This album causes serious problems for me on the Windows app. I am running an up-to-date Windows 10 on a Lenovo laptop.

The album plays fine with the Mac app on a MacBook Pro.

https://open.qobuz.com/album/b9enmaqmnvqgc

b9enmaqmnvqgc_300.jpg

1. I play the album on the WIndows app, and it hangs for a long time.
  2. After waiting several minutes, the app is unresponsive and I give up and close the app.
  3. I restart the app and it is now completely unresponsive to clicks.
  4. The app is now completely stuck. Restarting the app (or the computer) doesn't help — the Qobuz Windows app keeps starting up in an unresponsive state.

I tried various things to get the app working again, like deleting the Qobuz cache folder. I don't know exactly what I did that worked, but eventually I got the app back to a usable state. If I try to play this album again, the same problems occur, so this is a repeatable error.

On 2/15/2019 at 7:29 PM, bobbmd said:

@David Craff: it is hit or miss sometimes doesn't recognize my device ie DAC or does and no sound plays but music is playing sometimes freezes up web page can't go to discovery or favorites or playlists and sometimes playlists won't play or load and I have not been able to get offline choice to do anything the other stuff clears up if i click restart or just log off but haven't been able to access my offline library at all for a few days

the ROON problems HAVE to be their end @firedog seems to think it's MY SYSTEM but i haven't changed anything and all of this started this week i can live with it is just annoying and like I said Audirvana works always all the time and the Qobuz web page MOST of the time -i am just used to everything loading up and playing almost instantly

BTW_ am listening to a Kenyan folksinger JS Ondara on Qobuz web page/app now through ME2 DAC at192/24 HiRes but it won't play/or takes forever to load if it ever does if I go to ROON Qobuz version

I am sure everything will work itself out but don't understand what has happened since start of this week

Hi,

The next Qobuz Desktop Release is focused on updating the libraries used. I invite you to test again with this release when available. After that, is issue is still here, contact me via PM.

Regards

11 minutes ago, RichardSF said:

This album causes serious problems for me on the Windows app. I am running an up-to-date Windows 10 on a Lenovo laptop.

The album plays fine with the Mac app on a MacBook Pro.

https://open.qobuz.com/album/b9enmaqmnvqgc

b9enmaqmnvqgc_300.jpg

1. I play the album on the WIndows app, and it hangs for a long time.
  2. After waiting several minutes, the app is unresponsive and I give up and close the app.
  3. I restart the app and it is now completely unresponsive to clicks.
  4. The app is now completely stuck. Restarting the app (or the computer) doesn't help — the Qobuz Windows app keeps starting up in an unresponsive state.

I tried various things to get the app working again, like deleting the Qobuz cache folder. I don't know exactly what I did that worked, but eventually I got the app back to a usable state. If I try to play this album again, the same problems occur, so this is a repeatable error.

Hi,

Do you have  this problem with other album or only this one ?

10 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Thanks but I've tried this and I end up examining albums individually since you cannot be certain that an album that says available in 5.1 really is.  More often than not, it is  available only for purchase in that format.

I've tried multichannel, surround, multikanal, 6ch, 5.1, 5.0, 4.0.  Also, I run Qobuz via Roon and, in all cases, my own library of multichannel albums completely swamps what Qobuz offers.  That means that, in all cases, I am sifting through a haystack for the occasional needle.

No worries but I am a little confused by what you are expecting/looking for and concerned you might not find it:

Surely you need to go into an album to play it anyway or are you wanting Roon to only show you the albums that are available for streaming with your subscription? I would think that must surely require Roon changes and possibly a Qobuz change (not clear). 

Re your second concern re the haystack - isn't that because you are using Roon, a product that offers as a major selling point seamless integration of sources?  You could ask them to provide a source filter maybe but it might seem to be counter intuitive for them. Do you really want to choose what you listen to based on the digital source? You could check the albums out in Qobuz app - favourite or playlist them and then access them via Roon when you re ready to play them? 

Anyway - sorry - I am out of ideas on this. I wish you the best with your quest. 

edit - I should add that I am not a Roon user and so apologies if I am misunderstanding something that should be mroe obvious. :)

4 hours ago, Martin H said:

Surely you need to go into an album to play it anyway or are you wanting Roon to only show you the albums that are available for streaming with your subscription? I would think that must surely require Roon changes and possibly a Qobuz change (not clear). 

My subscription is "HiFi Sublime+," so I should be able to play anything they offer.  It is the searching facility that is a problem.  Roon will not let me search only for Qobuz offerings and Qobuz will not let me search by format.

Do you really want to choose what you listen to based on the digital source?

Yes.  I want to know what Qobuz offers in multichannel.

You could check the albums out in Qobuz app - favourite or playlist them and then access them via Roon when you re ready to play them? 

I have tried this but Qobuz will not search by format in the app, either.  

Kal Rubinson

41 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I am not shopping to purchase albums.  I just want to stream them.

You can find them via the shop and clic to listen on player.

I had this filter to the search enging : #multichannel

This one will filter only releases on  search result. You can also combo with query like "#multichannel jordi savall"

Regards

5 hours ago, David Craff said:

Hi,

Do you have  this problem with other album or only this one ?

I've only had the problem with this particular album, where it effectively causes the Windows app to become disabled even after restarting.

Generally, I've had UI responsiveness issues on the Windows app, I joined Qobuz USA a few weeks ago and last year I had a preview trial given away at an audio show. The Windows app was running better last year than now.

While music is playing, the UI is very unresponsive if I try to browse or search the catalog (e.g. as much as 15 seconds to respond to a click or scroll). Even after an album or playlist has finished playing, the responsiveness remains very sluggish until I manually clear the play queue. Speaking as a software engineer, this is a symptom of code that is running CPU intensive operations in the UI thread, blocking the UI from updating responsively. Operations that are not directly related to UI should run in a background worker thread.

On 2/18/2019 at 12:08 PM, austinpop said:

@David Craff

Perhaps a nudge of @bissie could give us some info.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I'd like to see an easier way to filter "rock" sub-genres, there's a ton of them.  The generic one for pop/rock is too inclusive.  It makes things harder to find if you just want to browse through metal new releases only, for example.  If you search #metal, there are a ton of matches, but aren't in order of release, artist, anything really.  Import order into the Qobuz database maybe? 

I also only see hi-res matches when i search #metal.  Is that because I'm a hi-res subscriber?  I'd like to be able to see 16/44.1 new releases/suggestions as well.  I'm finding what I want if i dig hard enough, but other metal/prog/etc fans signing up for a trial might turn and run thinking the content isn't there.  Which would be a shame because you have an excellent selection for metal in particular, you should do a better job of highlighting these sub-genres.

6 hours ago, David Craff said:

I had this filter to the search enging : #multichannel

This one will filter only releases on  search result. You can also combo with query like "#multichannel jordi savall"

Yes.  This finds 36 multichannel albums.  I already own most of them.

6 hours ago, David Craff said:

You can find them via the shop and clic to listen on player.

Unfortunately, this is not possible to do easily because the shop only appears on the Public Beta app and not via Roon.  Playing multichannel requires use of Roon because Qobuz does not play nice with my exSound DAC.

OK for now.  Hoping things will iron out over time.

Kal Rubinson