IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

@Paul R Thank you for taking the time with all those suggestions-never gave it a thought to putting my 'library' on a stick and will try out all those other things also

Also I seem to have lost my 'bobbmd' spot with a brown colored large B on the ROON support/community page so have sent the topic again to @Dylan and the COO @Danny at ROON hope they get it and I can retrieve their answers if any- my idea is asking them how to just dis-install ROON and reinstall a new version and start from the begining after all this time-I do have a lifetime subscription(whatever that means at my age as my CFO pointed out when she saw the credit card charge a few years ago).

thanks again will let you know- if worse comes to worse will just use the apps and A+3-just love having Qobuz in USA and I transferred all my TIDAL DEEZER and Spotify playlists to Qobuz via Soundiiz anyway

10 hours ago, bobbmd said:

my system is late 2012 mac mini i7 16gb ram/spectrum cable >>100mbps to apple time capsule 2tb tower WiFI

Is the Time Capsule the primary location of your music library, or just a backup?  If the former, I suspect that's the bottleneck.

In any event, I would not trust a Time Capsule as my main storage device.  It does not seem to have a journaling file system — my Time Machine backups on my Time Capsule get corrupted from time to time.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

5 hours ago, Hugo9000 said:

Qobuz doesn't own the music, and didn't produce it, so I can't imagine how they could know the provenance of any of it on their own.  I suppose they could analyze it all and make determinations/guesses on their own, but it seems much more likely that they simply rely on what the labels/rights holders/distributors tell them.  Perhaps they shouldn't trust the labels at all, but in the case of the marketing logo "Hi-Res," I can't imagine anyone cares too much.  I would guess that even fewer people care about that logo than about the silly MQA one.  I don't  know anyone outside of this site and ASR who is even aware of either bit of industry marketing.  At least the Hi-Res one is harmless, as it is simply a logo that can be slapped onto existing music files in accepted quality lossless formats (also harmless when slapped onto hardware, as it doesn't require weird or harmful processing of the music).  No harm is done to the masters or the product that is sold to or streamed by customers/listeners.

To return to the topic of Qobuz issues, I can report that after three weeks of heavy daily use of the U.S. Beta (Studio), I have only had issues on two days, where gapless playback did not work correctly on the Windows app, and both times the issue was acknowledged by Qobuz within hours and fixed before the day was out.  So kudos to the Qobuz team for that!

I am sure Qobuz cares about the music provenance. :) 

If for no other reason, people will run the high res through analysis and start complaining loudly and publicly if they find anything not kosher. The example of HDTracks is a good one, and one I am sure Qobuz has noted and taken account of in their business plan. 

Yeah, I am a little prejudiced, I *like* Qobuz. 

-Paul 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

4 hours ago, bobbmd said:

@Paul R Thank you for taking the time with all those suggestions-never gave it a thought to putting my 'library' on a stick and will try out all those other things also

Also I seem to have lost my 'bobbmd' spot with a brown colored large B on the ROON support/community page so have sent the topic again to @Dylan and the COO @Danny at ROON hope they get it and I can retrieve their answers if any- my idea is asking them how to just dis-install ROON and reinstall a new version and start from the begining after all this time-I do have a lifetime subscription(whatever that means at my age as my CFO pointed out when she saw the credit card charge a few years ago).

thanks again will let you know- if worse comes to worse will just use the apps and A+3-just love having Qobuz in USA and I transferred all my TIDAL DEEZER and Spotify playlists to Qobuz via Soundiiz anyway

If you are talking on the client (endpoint) - you just through the Roon application into the trash. :) 

On the server (core) it is a tad more complicated, but- as long as you are only using the Mac for Roon, you might consider just reloading it with MacOS and reloading. That only takes an hour, just be sure you disconnect the disk(s) with your music on it first, so you don't accidentally erase any off your music. 

-Paul 

Robert A. Heinlein

Some issues I run into with the Android app. Just wrote them. 

Hi, 

I am using the Qobuz App version 5.1.5 on my Samsung Galaxy A7. I have a Hi-Fi Sublime subscription. 

I have three problems with the app in its current form. 

First of all if I go to my “Offline Libary” it always shows me first a blank page with “no release imported” and it takes between 7 to 12 seconds to show me the files which are stored on my SD card. Also if I am importing at the same moment an album it always shows for a second the list of my localy stored albums and then vanishes again. If I compare that to the behavior of the app of an older Qobuz version 4.0.22 on my Fiio M9 (also Android based, white listed from Fiio) with the same SD card type the problem does not exist. It also does not exist on my Apple iPhone or iPad. 

The second problem I have is that I cannot find the possibility to delete albums I have locally stored. When I press on the three dots it only shows me “play”, “add to play queue”, “play next”, “remove from favorites”, “add to my playlist”.
Only when I press on a single track it says “remove from offline library”. 

The third issue is, that when you add a track to a playlist in other versions of the app it tells you that it has added it to the selected playlist. Such a confirmation is unfortunately lacking in the Android version 5.1.5.

Thank you for all the efforts to bring high-quality music to us. I hope you can fix these issues with the next release. Best, Reiner

8 hours ago, Jud said:

Qobuz does ask that if anyone finds content the labels have sent them as hi res that is instead not truly 24-bit, or upsampled, that they bring this to the attention of Qobuz.

What for? I've been pointing Qobuz repeatedly to several obvious upsampled "HiRes" albums in their catalog since 2015, quite recently again in my post to @David Craff 

Of course the mentioned incorrect labeled albums are still in their catalog. It seems to me as if Qobuz don't care about correct content quality and is simply selling the files the labels have sent, even if they know, it is a bluff package. 

9 hours ago, spin33 said:

The JAS logo for Hi-res music is different; see below. Who (other than Qobuz) knows why the choice was made? A clerical design error? A conscious decision? (The Hi-Res Music logo is a tad ugly and less eye-catching :-).

So I started here:

http://static.qobuz.com/uploads/cms/files/presse/20150505_-_Communique_de_presse_Qobuz_Cerifie_Hi-Res_EN_editbarry.pdf

That lead me here:

https://www.cta.tech/News/Press-Releases/2014/December/CEA-and-Japan-Audio-Society-to-Collaborate-on-Hi-R.aspx

Which took me to the formal definition of hires. 

https://www.cta.tech/News/Press-Releases/2014/June/DEG,-CEA,-The-Recording-Academy®-and-Major-Labels.aspx

High Resolution Audio is defined as “lossless audio that is capable of reproducing the full range of sound from recordings that have been mastered from better than CD quality music sources.”

Which then took me to this page. 

https://www.grammy.com/sites/com/files/recommendations_for_hires_music_production_09_28_18.pdf

Here I learned The following on page 31:

The Hi-Res Music logo, administered by the RIAA, (Recording Industry Association of America) “...was created to help consumers find hi-resolution recordings available from digital music retailers in the U.S., Canada, and Europe for downloading or streaming. Under terms of the licensing agreement that has been issued to nearly a dozen companies, the logo must be accompanied by the name and resolution of a song’s digital format.”

https://www.riaa.com/high-resolution-audio-initiative-gets-major-boost-with-new-hi-res-music-logo-and-branding-materials-for-digital-retailers/

So I tried to understand more about the Hi res music logo

and ended again up at Mark Waldrep site. 

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=4789

“I can’t help but wonder why this new logo is being introduced when the existing JAS logo was already being used for both hardware and content. The RIAA announcement does state that the JAS logo is “for use on compatible consumer electronics devices”. Perhaps the JAS changed its mind after the Qobuz site adopted the logo and became a “certified” source for high-resolution audio. Or maybe the JAS realized that a single logo with two drastically different sets of requirements wasn’t a good idea.”

Others is also confused:

https://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2015/11/riaa-introduces-a-hi-res-music-logo-plus-some-confusion.html

Well. Anyway I just post this in order to maybe enlighten a bit about use of the hi res logos. 

The good thing so far, seems that no hires streaming site og shop is offering anything that doesn’t comply with hi res specifications 😀

As I understand it’s easy to reveal tracks that doesn’t comply with the standard. 

On 2/4/2019 at 10:28 PM, #Yoda# said:

Not all of the following few examples of obvious upsampled albums are available in the US as HiRes files, hence I use the link for Qobuz Germany. If you need charts to proof my concerns, I can forward them to you as PM:

Eric Clapton - Slowhand;  24/192 https://www.qobuz.com/de-de/album/slowhand-eric-clapton/0060253780355

Should I understand this album as an example on Qobuz is different as the one available on HD tracks ?

I find myself agreeing with post number 1382 by @#Yoda#  on questioning the worth of raising issues with Qobuz support over content.

Early last year I experienced a problem with a Hi-Res album which evinced a burst of white noise between some of the track changes.  Qobuz did investigate and reported that it was a fault of the album which had been supplied to them.  The faulty album remains on the site to stream or purchase.

A couple of weeks ago I emailed Qobuz on the matter of streaming 2L MQA "lossy" CDs as 16/44 quality.  After a chasing email, they replied stating that they do not stream any MQA material and it had been a mistake.  The 2L 16/44 albums remain available for streaming.  I am currently awaiting a reply from Qobuz as to whether that means they have been supplied with non MQA for 16/44 streaming.

I really like Qobuz, but it seems to me that if you profess to care about quality audio then you have to stand by your claims.

David

MacMini, Mytek Manhattan I DAC, Avantone The Abbey Monitors, Roon

38 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Should I understand this album as an example on Qobuz is different as the one available on HD tracks ?

I don't have the album from HDtracks, so I cannot compare. Perhaps you should let judge your ear by comparing the HDtracks version with the CD. Back in 2015, I hadn't heard a difference between the 24/196 album available on Qobuz and my old ripped CD version. For this reason, I purchased the analysis tool Xivero MusicScope to verify my suspicion. The charts of the tracks showed that I can trust my ears; at least, sometimes 😉.

51 minutes ago, #Yoda# said:

I don't have the album from HDtracks, so I cannot compare. Perhaps you should let judge your ear by comparing the HDtracks version with the CD. Back in 2015, I hadn't heard a difference between the 24/196 album available on Qobuz and my old ripped CD version. For this reason, I purchased the analysis tool Xivero MusicScope to verify my suspicion. The charts of the tracks showed that I can trust my ears; at least, sometimes 😉.

The more I pay for the download, the better my ears say the recording is. 

On 2/16/2019 at 8:15 AM, goon525 said:

Given that virtually every classical album recorded for at least the last decade has been at high res, and Gramophone magazine reviews well over a hundred a month, this figure of under 2000 is self-evidently, as we in the UK like to say, bollocks.

I would be very interested in knowing how many hi res albums actually exist. 

Qobuz says they have 75000+

How many albums is available on HDtracks store ?

How many MQA albums exists ?

Why is it so hard to find som official numbers, that isn’t given by a streaming service ?

I was not able to find any updated numbers using Google. 

I was able to find that there seems to exist just about 1500+ albums DSD, but wasn’t what I was looking for. I still hope that’s a correct number ?

My wife has an issue, she likes Paul Hardcastle  (soft jazz) and if she searches for his albums. its notes in the search there are 55, but non are actually there. zip  zero in Qobuz.  Loads of them in tidal.  Not using Roon.  Anyway thats all, we got. 😀

The Truth Is Out There

Signed up for Qobuz yesterday. I love the sound and am glad to be rid of MQA for hi-rez streaming (plan to compare using Roon). One significant downside of Qobuz is that my Tidal library included about 30 albums apparently unavailable on Qobuz. Some are obscure but more than a few quite surprised, eg, new John Prine. Ugh, I don’t want to pay for Tidal *and* Qobuz.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

40 minutes ago, mav52 said:

My wife has an issue, she likes Paul Hardcastle  (soft jazz) and if she searches for his albums. its notes in the search there are 55, but non are actually there. zip  zero in Qobuz.  Loads of them in tidal.  Not using Roon.  Anyway thats all, we got. 😀

On a UK account, I see 55 albums - and they’re there, or at least loads are.

16 minutes ago, goon525 said:

On a UK account, I see 55 albums - and they’re there, or at least loads are.

Same on the US account, but there are not any of his albums actually listed when you pull them up and the ones that come up are NOT Paul Hardcastle. 

The Truth Is Out There

I've been enjoying Qobuz on the U.S. Beta for about 30 days. Using Roon at home.

My challenge is with mobile use.

On iOS, I'm using the Qobuz app on both my iPhone & iPad via Mojo, with a lightning to usb camera adaptor.

Sound is great, but I can't get control for either device to the vehicle (BMWConnect)

The usb port doesn't recognize any device being connected, and doesn't even play.

Aux 3.5 port plays great, but says it doesn't support data transfer.

As a result, the only control I have is through the devices, while driving.

Any thoughts on a workaround, or setting change?

Thanks...

42 minutes ago, mav52 said:

Same on the US account, but there are not any of his albums actually listed when you pull them up and the ones that come up are NOT Paul Hardcastle. 

I’m a US Beta subscriber and have run into the same thing on a number of occasions when using the Qobuz app (although I primarily search for Qobuz titles in Roon and the results are more accurate there).

Searching on some artists can indicate (x) number of titles, yet when clicking into the actual discography, the number turns out to be something other than (x), usually fewer, and occasionally none at all. 

My theory is that the titles do exist out in the Qobuz ethersphere but are (hopefully) still waiting in the que to be transferred to the US servers.

Roon Nucleus REV B -> DH Labs Mirage USB Cable -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty DAC -> SPL Elector Preamp -> Bryston 2.5 Cubed amp -> Magnepan 1.7i speakers + REL T9x

jonathan

2 hours ago, mav52 said:

Try clicking on the artist result from the search. It at least brings up where Paul H. performed with Change and Direct Drive. 

It has to be some teething issues with getting international material available to US customers. At least I hope so. :)

Paul 

Robert A. Heinlein