IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

Qobuz has announced a major update to the Android app, rolling out slowly to all users now. If you download/import local files, they suggest you start making playlists of those tracks now, because it's going to forget about them during the update. On my phone I usually access Qobuz via UAPP, but when I opened the official Qobuz app today it displayed this blog post: http://blogsv2.qobuz.com/qobuz-blog-en/2018/11/09/qobuz-update-to-android-application/

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

7 hours ago, loop7 said:

I guess the rollout is rather slow; not yet seeing on my Google Pixel.

I've just now received it. Very attractive design. No prep before upgrading was needed as I don't use it for offline files. My preferences were reset, for example the Wi-Fi streaming cap changed from 24/192 to 16/44.1. Playing with it, I managed to lock up the app by accidentally downloading the White Album, which is very big, while I was near the edge of my Wi-Fi range... and I eventually had to restart the phone. Sigh. #apps

41 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I can't seem to get on any Qobuz website but the French version at the moment. Is anyone else having this problem?

Not having that problem here, but if it's happening to you try forcing it to English by adding "gb-en" to the url: https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/discover  It's possible their website is detecting French language settings on your system. Or a French cookie from your last visit to their site. Or a croissant. Or something.

9 minutes ago, loop7 said:

So the old app updated or did you uninstall? Mine has not updated yet.

The update just appeared in Play by itself. It would have installed automatically, but I have updates on manual. That's the only reason I noticed, then tapped the Update button.

You can try checking "My apps & games" in Play, but updates are spread out to prevent heavy loads on Google's systems and app developers in general, so you may not see it for as much as a week. 

3 minutes ago, Summit said:

Thank you for your response to my question. Unfortunately I didn’t get a better insight to why we in Sweden can’t use Qobuz when it’s available in many other countries in Europe.

They don't have the staff and budget for Swedish localization (in other words, translation and related adjustments to the website and apps). Even without localization, they would need to make changes to accept payments from Sweden. Qobuz is a small company, and I suspect they are quite overwhelmed with preparing for the US launch.

7 minutes ago, Summit said:

I don’t’ think that any translations or adjustments to any website and apps are needed to open up for people from Sweden to use Qobuz. We usually don’t have special made apps in Sweden or translate everything in to Swedish. We don’t even do dubbing on movies for adult and Tidal for example is in English. I guess some small changes is needed to accept payments from Sweden, but I can’t think it is a big deal these days, at least not from all the companies I regally buy things from. Many of them small and they use MasterCard, Visa, PayPal and other methods used to make international payments.

FYI Sweden is a member of EU.

Have you ever tried to update a system to accept a new currency and/or verifications from a new country market, including PayPal and credit card APIs? It takes time. Developer time and tester time. Especially if your system chokes on some Swedish names or addresses. Yes, even in this century, that still happens.

Also as David mentioned in his reply to me above — and I'm surprised he didn't mention this problem first — they don't necessarily have licenses from all the music labels to offer their entire catalog in Sweden. The labels definitely live in the last century.

4 minutes ago, Summit said:

Sweden is a member of EU.

The European Union (EU) is a political and economic union of 28 member states that are located primarily in Europe.[14] It has an area of 4,475,757 km2 (1,728,099 sq mi) and an estimated population of about 513 million. The EU has developed an internal single market through a standardised system of laws that apply in all member states in those matters, and only those matters, where members have agreed to act as one. EU policies aim to ensure the free movement of people, goods, services and capital within the internal market,[15] enact legislation in justice and home affairs and maintain common policies on trade,[16] agriculture,[17] fisheries and regional development.[18]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union

There are still exceptions and problems, and even for those labels fully complying the royalty percentages are different across EU territories and access levels (streaming, download, tethered download, etc.). All David is saying is that his legal and accounting team would have to spend time on it, time they do not currently have.

24 minutes ago, rando said:

Official Qobuz issues or issues with Qobuz? 

I see the omission of Sweden as a question which might yield a more insightful answer through personal investigation.  If it were prudent to do so, I'm reasonably sure an answer would have been forthcoming.  I'm sure many of us would be curious to know the answer.  Just not at the expense of delaying the US launch or forcing David into making an ill advised statement.

EU membership does imply a lot of commonality with other member nations.  This lack of service may not be due to a legal concern or expectation placed on foreign businesses.  It also may not be Qobuz simply decided the Swedish market was undesirable at this juncture for any one of an uncountable number of reasons.  One of which might be a rather infamous online digital media distribution company of Swedish origin. 

Conjecture might be better left for another less "Official" thread directly tackling the day's question.  :)

Sorry. I'm a globalization / localization professional, and it drives me nuts when people think that a country can be added just by flipping a switch. Especially when a CEO thinks that. ?

I can say with certainty backed up by industry analyst reports that Sweden is a "Tier 2" country normally targeted after "Tier 1" markets like English, Spanish, and French. This is true not only for small companies with limited resources, but also for large multinational corporations.  Even Netflix started slowly and carefully, with Canadian French.

They don't do this out of lack of respect or interest. It's just that each market requires time and money. If you want a quick peek into just one small headache involved in entering a new market, see the EU licensing royalties spreadsheet I linked to above.

Just now, rando said:

Does your professional interest preclude the ability to take this to a dedicated thread? 

Not being impolite.  Just noting this has been suitably aired and is on the verge of becoming messy/irrelevant content. 

An "Official" answer was provided.  

Sorry. As you were typing that I was editing my previous reply to soften it a bit. I'm just trying to back David up here with more detail.

@Martin H mine locked up so badly I had to restart the phone. I could not stop play, tried to exit the app but got a black screen instead, and found no way to stop it except a restart. I thought that happened because I had accidentally started downloading the White Album, but apparently there is other instability in there.

@Da Horsey sorry don't know of any source for a separate download of 5.1. Just install the version currently available on Play and the update will find you soon if it isn't already there for you. 

25 minutes ago, Martin H said:

that is the same issue I had. I eventually managed to get past the black screen after some time and got a stop or wait message. I chose to stop the app. The first time this didn't appear to work but later after another try it did. Have you tried it again or since! 

Thx

Yes I streamed some music with that app yesterday, no downloading involved, and it worked normally.

13 minutes ago, Da Horsey said:

Currently, the Android device I'm running is the Amazon Firestick. I was going to sideload the APK as there's not an official update of an Amazon app yet. Can't run the older Qobuz version as I did try that and it's not able to load landscape and sign in.

The firestick actually connects via TV optical audio out to my big tube monoblock rig and makes for a far better quality connection than most any computer connection. So, I'll be awaiting the opportunity. 

Thanks for your kind reply.

Got it. Very interesting. 5.1 isn't out in the wild yet but I'm sure it will turn up on all those third-party apk sites soon. However, based on our reports of 5.1 bugs you may be better off sticking with 5.0.x until a 5.1.1 or higher is released.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, jvvita said:

Guys,

I just updated to 5.1.1. I cannot change the storage location of imported music. It seems to be locked on my internal storage. Only for the downloaded music I can change to my SD card. Am I missing anything?

On 11/12/2018 at 8:55 AM, loop7 said:

I guess the rollout is rather slow; not yet seeing on my Google Pixel.

5.1.2 just appeared on my phone. Hope that fixes things.

The Win 10 app seems to make more use of Notifications now. It slides a Windows system notification out from the lower right corner of my screen for each new track, which is nice, but also leaves a list of them in the Notifications panel for no apparent reason. They look pretty there but don't seem to do anything, at least when the app is closed. I'll play with it some more, but this seems like just yet another Win 10 annoyance.

Notifications from each app can be turned off in Settings, but that would also kill the brief new track notification slide-out which I do appreciate in this and other apps. Leaving them in the panel long after the app has closed doesn't seem useful to me.

29 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I love Qobuz, but the new app (MacOS 5.0.0-b002 for me) is not intuitive for this setting. I looked in vain for anything called "Settings". Ultimately I found it by clicking on:

• nondescript grey face icon on the top right
  • Then click on "Interface"
  • Scroll down to last setting "Saving > Save the selected genres for the homepage"

Would it kill them to just have a Settings menu on the home page of the app?

I'm OK with navigating to settings via the account link. That's a common path, though it's usually an account/settings menu rather than a link to a new screen. The tab organization displayed after that is rather unique, but I'm OK with that too. (As some may have noticed, when something truly violates UI standards or other best practices I'm the first to complain...so I guess "I'm OK with that" is, for me, a ringing endorsement. ? )

4 hours ago, Cebolla said:

Ironically, given that Squeezebox type devices are actually incompatible with UPnP/DLNA, the continuing edeavours of the thriving Squeezebox software development community, to try to integrate eveything out there with their system, have actually made it possible for both Spotify Premium (via Spotify Connect) and AirPlay reliant online music services (such as Idagio & Primephonic) to work with standard UPnP/DLNA streamers.

However, it does require the UPnP/DLNA streamer user to have the (minor) technical ability of setting up the Logitech Media Server on a networked computer or NAS with the appropriate LMS plugins installed - my LMS 'helper application'  is running very efficiently 24/7 on a Raspberry Pi.

Don't be surprised if Qobuz Connect makes it to LMS and therefore to UPnP/DLNA devices - assuming Qobuz are still actively developing it & openly release the SDK.

Yes it is amazing how much the community continues to integrate into the Squeezeverse. There is a third-party Qobuz plugin for LMS. It would be nice if the official Qobuz app could control my Squeezebox players directly — or at least my ultraRendu, for example if I were to run MPD/DLNA Renderer alongside Squeezelite — but I am very happy with the latest Material Skin plugin for LMS, which I use in the web interface on my tablet and in the Squeezelite-X player on my PC. (Biographies and album reviews are pulled from allmusic.com, but it found no lyrics for this one.)

1.thumb.jpg.aad57d36c068864b4c21aaf06fc287dc.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.103a38150efb368e30c407cd0f3afc1a.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.1b98ef2c7396c7b86932e542d8bb307d.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.3520e036ef170799bd1580dee4a8768f.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.1cfa88cbcff501719bdc83f65e7d0360.jpg

12 hours ago, Stourmead said:

Qobuz - have they just nerfed support for squeezebox devices?

I use picoreplayer and lms and today ALL my titles in Qobuz , even purchased albums, are saying

”We’re sorry, this work is not available for streaming”

iphone app still working fine but I want Qobuz back on my home hifi now ! Paying the sublime+ for a reason and now it’s not working ?

The Qobuz plugin for LMS is working for me. Maybe a temporary glitch? 

4 hours ago, rickca said:

I'm using iPeng on an iPad to control LMS/Squeezelite.  I see high res indicators on many albums now.  Does this indicate that the album streams in high res (with the appropriate subscription) or that you can buy the album in high res?

3 hours ago, Stourmead said:

Yes on QOBUZ , the hi res indicator means it’s a 24bit recording, for stream/purchase. So for example you might see the same album listed twice, one without the hires denotation, and one with.

i find it easier to use the actual Qobuz app on my phone to favourite all the hires albums and then go into iPeng / favourites and the ‘right’ album version is there for me 

Earlier in this thread it was confirmed that the official Qobuz desktop app will display the Hi-Res logo when an album is available for purchase in Hi-Res, even if it is not available for streaming in Hi-Res. I just tested the same album in LMS, and indeed although the meta data third-parties can grab hands them a "Hi-Res" tag, the album streamed at 943kbps which is CD-quality. Personally I have never encountered this difference in purchase vs. streaming rights with other music on Qobuz, and I suspect it is not a widespread problem. In the post I linked to here, @David Craff stated they are working on this.