IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

21 hours ago, jvvita said:

This is also my experience, with Qobuz in CD quality. But my favorite way of listening is selecting the album on the Qobuz android app, and using the "share with bubbleupnp" function to stream to the renderer (PSAudio Bridge II). This way I get all the bells and whistles of the Qobuz app, have the music files cached in my SD card for further listening (the quality is a bit better), and use the upnp protocol to its fullest extent. 

I keep forgetting about the BubbleUPnP app's support of Android's built-in share function as it's a bit hit and miss with the various internet radio providers & online music services - Spotify doesn't like it for example.

However, this is a good call, seeing how the BubbleUPnP app already supports Qobuz, so would most likely be successful. Thanks for reminding me about this.

BTW, I've just tested it working properly on my UPnP renderers, even with hi-res file tracks, plus the sound quality appears to be as good as it normally is. What was were you losing out of the UPnP protocol for the PSAudio Bridge II that made you decide to cache the audio files to your SD card.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

3 hours ago, Martin H said:

Hi

When you say that you 'share' with bubbleupnp' from the Qobuz app  - what exactly do you mean and how do you do that? 

Apologies if I am being dumb but I spent some time looking in various apps earlier on my android phone and couldnt find it. 

Hi Martin

Definitely give @jvvita's suggestion a go, as it's certainly much more user friendly to use than swapping between the Qobuz application & Linn Kazoo on a desktop computer and the entire playlist, including any hi-res tracks, should end up on your Linn DS (given that the BubbleUPnP app supports OpenHome), all actioned from the Qobuz Android app!

Just make sure you've start the BubbleUPnP Android app first, select the Linn DS as the renderer and log into the same Qobuz account that you'll be using on the Qobuz Android app. Keep BubbleUPnP running in the background by going into the Android's home screen and then start the Qobuz Android app.

Also, you may be able to do the same share function via the (OpenHome only) BubbleDS Next app, instead of the BubbleUPnP app, if that's the Bubblesoft app that you normally use on Android with your Linn DS.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I just started my trial with the French version of Qobuz. The interface is great and much better than Tidal, with the glaring exception of composers' names not being shown right besides the work as they are sometimes on Tidal and almost always on Spotify. The greatest disappointment of all however is the absence a tremendous amount of recordings. MDG, Hyperion, a great deal of Hungaroton, and many, many recordings I own on CD or am used to access on Tidal are missing from Qobuz. Take for instance the recordings of the composer from the classical period Albrechtsberger. None of those on Hungaroton available on Tidal are present on Qobuz. Am I doing something wrong? Is someone else capable of accessing them there? Most of the Festetics Quartet recordings, a favorite of mine, are missing as well. These omissions are strange and frustrating, and for me, a deal-breaker. I would consider subscribing to the high definition tier if every recording was available. As it is, I'm not sure I'm going to even finish my trial as I know I won't continue with the service. Seems to me after everything is said and done, if one wishes to have unrestricted access to a universal repertoire of music, the only option remains the trusty audio CD.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

23 hours ago, Cebolla said:

BTW, I've just tested it working properly on my UPnP renderers, even with hi-res file tracks, plus the sound quality appears to be as good as it normally is. What was were you losing out of the UPnP protocol for the PSAudio Bridge II that made you decide to cache the audio files to your SD card.

It works for me in all resolutions too. The importance of the cache is that my main system is in my country house. There, my internet connection suffers. So I take advantage of being able to previously cache or download the files (God bless 256GB SD!). I also use AirAudio on Android, with no sonic penalties for CD res (it doesn't do high res). It is a bit simpler.

1 hour ago, David Craff said:

We are in negotiations with many suppliers, major and label. It may take more or less time. Sometimes a label present at a supplier prefers to negotiate directly. There is no such thing as a simple case. We do our best to integrate them.  Hungaroton is on the list of ongoing negotiations.

I find the classical Qobuz catalog to be remarkable and extensive but then I have not used Tidal previously. I imagine that some streaming services try to make "exclusive" deals in order to have an edge. In my mind competition in the US streaming market can only be a good thing.

I plan to use Roon to supplement my listening choices with purchased material and my preexisting library.

So far I am so tied up listening to new material that it could be years before I circle back to my old favorites ?

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

5 hours ago, mourip said:

So far I am so tied up listening to new material that it could be years before I circle back to my old favorites ?

That's what happens when you first start streaming.  ;)

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Question - I enjoy exploring new music and so Qobuz has been great for that but often you simply aren't aware of bands or albums and so I have found some of my best day's listening has been when I have stumbled across a playlist that someone else has created from their favourite albums or for whatever reason. I have often found these  in blogs, a forum like this, or even some of the mags have reasonab;y good ones. Anyone can create the playlist and make it available which is brilliant but how do you find them? At the moment I don't seem to be able to search for them even if I know they are there. I actually need the exact reference that has to be shared somewhere. Am I missing something? 

I just think this is an excellent piece of the service that is underused. BTW I can find the Qobuz playlists without any problems. The search doesn't seem to access the user playlists, just the Qobuz curated ones. 

Any ideas? 

14 hours ago, ddetaey said:

I checked for you, but indeed there's no extra content to be found on Qobuz, neither for Albrechtsberger, nor for Festetics Quartet.

However, missing artists, albums, .. is not only true for the classical genre, it happens as well for pop/rock and other genres.

I sometimes wonder too, how a music service provider decides which content to add or to leave out.

In fact, it is selfevident that the online catalog (being it streaming and downloads) of a music service provider will be limited in time, i.e. new albums will appear, but old albums will be left out. 

Like you I do buy sometimes an audio CD (and rip it afterwards) if I cannot find the digital download on Qobuz or other download providers, or when it is too expensive.

Qobuz e.g. is interesting as they offer with some of their subscription plans hirez downloads cheaper than redbook.  However, this is true for an important but smaller part of their complete catalog.

In combination with Roon (or any other music library manager/audio player such as Jriver or Audirvana), this enables me to build my own music library, making sure that I will not lose that music someday, and supporting the artists best way I can.

Dirk

What I've decided to do is, since no service comes close to providing a universal solution, continue with my Qobuz trial and, if I like it, purchase one month of it, then one month of Tidal, on the third month perhaps listen to my CDs, when I get again the hankering for high-definition audio buy another month of Qobuz, and so on.

Does anyone know  if it is possible for me to import a song into a sd card in my Android phone, then put the same sd card on another android device and play the song through the Qobuz app installed on device number 2? Or, to import the song to a thumb drive inserted in a PC, then use said drive to play the song in another PC?

14 hours ago, mourip said:

I find the classical Qobuz catalog to be remarkable and extensive but then I have not used Tidal previously.

I was a TIDAL customer for over a year and they have an extensive classical selection like most streaming companies. Qobuz, in my opinion, has superior search but even more is the deeper metadata threading. When listening to an album, there is often the liner note booklet, additional track details and the ability to explore all the other recordings on the same record label.

It's just great for us classical types.

Tidal has some albums Qobuz has not and certainly vice versa. I've used both for along time in Europe and I'm sure a keen classical listener will always prefer Qobuz for the amount of interesting albums (with leaflets available) and the way they are presented (tracks are in right order etc). 

Say NO to ROON

16 hours ago, Martin H said:

Question - I enjoy exploring new music and so Qobuz has been great for that but often you simply aren't aware of bands or albums and so I have found some of my best day's listening has been when I have stumbled across a playlist that someone else has created from their favourite albums or for whatever reason. I have often found these  in blogs, a forum like this, or even some of the mags have reasonab;y good ones. Anyone can create the playlist and make it available which is brilliant but how do you find them? At the moment I don't seem to be able to search for them even if I know they are there. I actually need the exact reference that has to be shared somewhere. Am I missing something? 

I just think this is an excellent piece of the service that is underused. BTW I can find the Qobuz playlists without any problems. The search doesn't seem to access the user playlists, just the Qobuz curated ones. 

Any ideas? 

Sounds like a great idea for a dedicated thread here. We could share Qobuz playlists that we find or create or even work on them collaboratively?

On that topic, I wish that there was an easy way to create a playlist in one click when one finds a performer, group, or orchestra that one really likes. For example I do a search on "Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra", get 14 hits, and want to make a new playlist with all 14 albums. Currently you need to add them one by one which is laborious for a prolific search result...

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

On 10/27/2018 at 8:19 PM, Cebolla said:

Hi Martin

Definitely give @jvvita's suggestion a go, as it's certainly much more user friendly to use than swapping between the Qobuz application & Linn Kazoo on a desktop computer and the entire playlist, including any hi-res tracks, should end up on your Linn DS (given that the BubbleUPnP app supports OpenHome), all actioned from the Qobuz Android app!

Just make sure you've start the BubbleUPnP Android app first, select the Linn DS as the renderer and log into the same Qobuz account that you'll be using on the Qobuz Android app. Keep BubbleUPnP running in the background by going into the Android's home screen and then start the Qobuz Android app.

Also, you may be able to do the same share function via the (OpenHome only) BubbleDS Next app, instead of the BubbleUPnP app, if that's the Bubblesoft app that you normally use on Android with your Linn DS.

On 10/27/2018 at 4:44 PM, jvvita said:

My pleasure. In the Qobuz app, to the right of the play button, there are 3 dots. Clicking the dots brings a menu. There you will find the "share" button. Click it, and select bubbleupnp. And voilà. 

Thanks to both. I have tried it on my Android phone today which has been the first opportunity I have had and I have licences already etc.. If I can get it to work there then I will either dig out an old android tablet that I had or preferably try the same thing on Windows? (would it work on windows 10 do you think? or is it just an Android feature).

The on problem I have at the minute is that I am only getting 16/44. So I don't get the full res (which the Qobuz feature when ready promises to deliver). Don't get me wrong  - its a step forward for simple sampling but ideally it would play the song the same way is if I went and found it in Kazoo? As it is specifically listed in the settings as 16 bit for wifi with no option to set anything higher I am assuming I am screwed  on this - right? 

Be good to know.

In the meantime - thanks to you both. 

45 minutes ago, mourip said:

Sounds like a great idea for a dedicated thread here. We could share Qobuz playlists that we find or create or even work on them collaboratively?

On that topic, I wish that there was an easy way to create a playlist in one click when one finds a performer, group, or orchestra that one really likes. For example I do a search on "Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra", get 14 hits, and want to make a new playlist with all 14 albums. Currently you need to add them one by one which is laborious for a prolific search result...

We did something similar on the Linn forum for a while but there were really only 2 of us posting things  and it really needs a larger  group to keep it moving or it becomes a chore. As Linn just closed it without any warning I couldn't even copy the list which is a bit of a pain but hey ho. that's another topic. 

I would be up for contributing if enough are interested but as you say better to have another thread I would think? 

I would still appreciate advice from anyone (ideally Qobuz) if there is a way to find/search for the available user playlists without knowing the specific 'number' of it in advance by some other method. Seems like an obvious shortfall. I know there are some people out there, far more knowledgeable and productive than I , that love to put together playlists for others to listen to. Some magazines do it. What Hi Fi is one, every month. Qobuz playlists are very good but I would still say some of my favourites over the past few years have been from individuals with different and broad musical tastes focused on different periods/genres to me. 

18 minutes ago, shadowlight said:

@Martin H, I was recently able to subscribe to the Linn Qobuz playlist.  If I remember correctly, all I did was logon on to the desktop client and opened the playlist in the browser.  Doing that gave me the option of subscribing to the playlist.  Some of the tracks are no longer available in some of the playlist though.

Yep - it's all simple enough once you have a link to an existing playlist but I don't know how you can search for them or just browse the 'user ones'. 

So here is one Clumsybaby - October and if you click on the link you should be able to see it and play it if you are a Qobuz subscriber. Some tracks may not play due to regions/licensing changes since it was created but you should see most. But if you simply searched for it under that name it won't come back in the list even though it has been made available to anyone. I just wondered if there was a way to find them or browse other than hope someone mentions it somewhere on a www site and then that I can find it that way which is pretty limiting. 

BTW I should really give any credit for the playlist to Clumsybaby who is a music blogger I did stumble upon a long time ago. 

Edit - should have added - as you say you can subscribe to it and it will remain in your Qobuz my playlists and for me it then appears in the Qobuz section of Kazoo to play on my Linn DS etc.

ciao, all...for anyone who is confronted with the problem of moving your subscription from one country to another (like if you were using a proxy and/or a less than "accurate" country of residence), with the help of David Craff from Qobuz and Left Channel, I managed a successful move. Here are the steps to follow:

1. create a  Soundiiz Premium account (cancellable) and enter your Qobuz login.

2. choose to transfer Qobuz favorites, playlists, etc. to Soundiiz.

3. un-subscribe from original Qobuz account

4. subscribe in the correct country of residence(where credit card is billed to)...new policy of Qobuz

5. back in Soundiiz...change the Qobuz login to the new Q account.

6. transfer all your Qobuz favorites, playlists, etc. to the new account

7. start listening

Thank you, again, to those here on this forum who helped me through this. BTW, the sound from the hires stream is a huge improvement for me. I no longer feel the need to "upgrade" my system. And the first month is gratis.

iMac - iTunes(AIFF) - Squeeze 7.9- QOBUZ flac streamer - Vodafone Revolution Router - Transporter - Pathos Classic One MkIII - JM/Focal Daline 3 - dhLabs & Xindak xlr cables - Mapleshade header and footers - AppleTV3

On 10/29/2018 at 8:34 PM, Martin H said:

Any ideas? 

In fact, you cannot search for a customer's playlist. Only Qobuz playlists or Qobuz partners' playlists are available for consultation.

The next step is to search our customers' playlists.

This one will be available soon, but we can't give you access to all our customers' playlists because some of them are not interesting: 0 tracks, 1 complete album and nothing else, etc.....  Our job is to index, on the search engine, only the customer's playlists that can be interesting and for that we need to apply some restrictions like: playlist with 10 tracks minimum, tracks of 2 different albums minimum etc.....

Qobuz Product Manager for Desktop, Web Player and Search Engine.

On 10/30/2018 at 1:34 AM, jvvita said:

Does anyone know  if it is possible for me to import a song into a sd card in my Android phone, then put the same sd card on another android device and play the song through the Qobuz app installed on device number 2? Or, to import the song to a thumb drive inserted in a PC, then use said drive to play the song in another PC?

This is not possible. Import file can only be show and use by the application that dit this import.  Import file are protected and can't be use withe another player.

If you buy an song, you can donwload it and use with other player, but you can't  donwload it, copy to another device and play it with Qobuz App,  because this app doest know that this file come from Qobuz.

Qobuz Product Manager for Desktop, Web Player and Search Engine.