IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

On 9/25/2022 at 12:23 AM, LoryWiv said:

Just made a purchase on QoBuz and noticed they charge extra for using PayPal! is this something new? I am a Sublime member and don't recall this extra charge before nor on other music purchasing services I have used. Needless to say, not a happy development for customers!

Hello LoryWiv, indeed depending on the country some payment method charges us a lot. For some sales, we were not even profitable. That is why we added some payment fees to reduce the cost.

To better understand, why do you use Paypal? Is it because you don't need to enter your payment information each time you make a purchase?

Thank you

Pierre B. - Product Manager at Qobuz

On 9/26/2022 at 2:15 PM, Mark Dirac said:

David Craff - I suspect that you may not be aware that the annual renewal process is not as transparent as one would expect, and is not as one experiences with other reputable service providers.

• I noticed that it is not possible to delete a payment method / credit card. It is only possible to update it.
  • I was not given any notice that my annual renewal was due, or that £130 was to be debited, or the date on which this would happen.
  • Qobuz took £130 but without telling me that that had happened, nor even telling me that my subscription had been renewed for a year. No notification whatsoever.

Despite being very happy to pay £130 for a further 12 months, I am surprised that Qobuz appeared to do this with stealth.

Hello Mark Dirac, thank you for your message.

Actually, you should have received an email informing you that your subscription will be renewed. I'll check why it's not working and keep you updated.

Concerning the option to delete your payment method, I'll check too.

Thank you,

Pierre B. - Product Manager

5 hours ago, Pierre B. said:

Is it because you don't need to enter your payment information each time you make a purchase?

For me, sort of. I don't want to give out my CC info to every site on the Net. Just for security - if they don't have my info, it can't be lost to a hack. 

I'm also pretty sure that PayPal has better security than most other sites I encounter. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

12 hours ago, Pierre B. said:

Hello LoryWiv, indeed depending on the country some payment method charges us a lot. For some sales, we were not even profitable. That is why we added some payment fees to reduce the cost.

To better understand, why do you use Paypal? Is it because you don't need to enter your payment information each time you make a purchase?

Thank you

Pierre B. - Product Manager at Qobuz

Pierre B., thank you for your reply. My preference for PayPal is in part the incredible convenience, ready access to look up transactions in a single place, and importantly I often find I have PayPal credits or gift cards which are perfect for discretionary purchases of music.

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

Please, @David Craffand @Pierre B.of Qobuz: The recently introduced mini-player of the Qobuz Android App is in need of a rectification. It grabs the audio and doesn‘t let go of it. The effect is that one can NOT play via UAPP after closing Qobuz. The Qobuz mini-player NEEDS to have a Close button (X) which dismisses it in full.

This issue has been laid out on the previous page (185) here, cf. my posts there and others, including screenshots.

Unfortunately, there has been no answer from Qobuz yet. Looking forward to your response and taking care of the issue. Thanks in advance.

PS: Please let me know if I should contact [email protected]. In the past, that mail address has been quite unreliable in communicating bugs to Qobuz. I would be happy if that has changed now for the better.

11 hours ago, 111MilesToGo said:

The recently introduced mini-player of the Qobuz Android App is in need of a rectification. It grabs the audio and doesn‘t let go of it. The effect is that one can NOT play via UAPP after closing Qobuz.

@111MilesToGo, I do not have UAPP, but this is what I observe on my Samsung Galaxy S9 phone (Android 10).

1. Play something on the Qobuz app (USB output to DAC)
  2. After the playlist is finished, the mini-player remains on the notification panel (but stopped).
  3. Play a local file using a music player app (Samsung Music, foobar2000, etc) to USB output. It plays normally without Qobuz interfering and opens its own mini-player.

Therefore my feeling is that your issue might be in the Cayin DAP software or UAPP.

Screenshot_20221002-203638_EarStudio.jpg

1 hour ago, RichardSF said:

@111MilesToGo, I do not have UAPP, but this is what I observe on my Samsung Galaxy S9 phone (Android 10).

1. Play something on the Qobuz app (USB output to DAC)
  2. After the playlist is finished, the mini-player remains on the notification panel (but stopped).
  3. Play a local file using a music player app (Samsung Music, foobar2000, etc) to USB output. It plays normally without Qobuz interfering and opens its own mini-player.

Therefore my feeling is that your issue might be in the Cayin DAP software or UAPP.

Screenshot_20221002-203638_EarStudio.jpg

Thank you for checking on another device.

I had contacted the UAPP developer Davy Wentzler before coming here to approach Qobuz. He said the issue is due to the fact that UAPP provides Qobuz integration via the Qobuz API. But he cannot do anything. The relatively new Qobuz mini-player MUST get a full close button in order to dismiss it. Otherwise, UAPP can‘t play after running Qobuz.

BTW, on my Cayin N8ii DAP, Neutron - which has no Qobuz integration - does play fine after Qobuz, similar to your observation.

Sound quality issue with iOS

We have been using qobuz in our studio for years as our main streaming service. We have done many demos with it and realized that if properly configured, for instance with a dedicated ipad, wifi off and other obvious sonic precautions, it can sound as a reference source, virtually matching other more "sophisticated" dedicated file players.

Recently we have noticed a problem with qobuz that we simply do not have with other streaming softwares such as apple music, amazon or tidal. We are talking about the mobile version for iOS, which is what we use here. We have tested several ipads of different years and the problem really seems to be with qobuz.

If we start the ipad, open qobuz and play a file (44.1K), it sounds perfect. If we replay the same song, it’s still fine. But the moment we chose another song from another album (44.1K), SQ drops with high frequency distortion being introduced. The distortion sounds like something on the clocking level. The average ear would probably not notice the change, but for our standards, it is enough to spoil the party… You can do some testing by playing first, immediately after startup, a very familiar file for 20 secs and repeating that file a couple of times. Then put on mute and play different files from different albums for a couple of seconds each, stopping and restarting them, etc. All files MUST have the same resolution, so all 44.1k. Then unmute and play the first file again for 20 seconds. You should be able to hear what I’m referring to. Again, it might be subtle, but it’s enough to downgrade the SQ to “lower quality” sound. We use different USB to spdif converters, such as the m2tech hiface 2.

We have noticed this issue in the past when switching between hires and standard resolution files, which definitely changes the sound for worse and completely compromises SQ for us. So whenever we change the resolution we restart the ipad for optimal sound.

Recently, as mentioned, I have compared qobuz to other softwares specifically on this issue and to our surprise only qobuz has the “glitch”. When it comes to changing the resolution though, none of the apps seems to keep the original SQ present at startup.

It’s very odd that this sort of problem is present in services that are sold based on their superior sound quality. I wonder if anybody here has an explanation.

3 hours ago, spartan1969 said:

Sound quality issue with iOS

We have been using qobuz in our studio for years as our main streaming service. We have done many demos with it and realized that if properly configured, for instance with a dedicated ipad, wifi off and other obvious sonic precautions, it can sound as a reference source, virtually matching other more "sophisticated" dedicated file players.

Recently we have noticed a problem with qobuz that we simply do not have with other streaming softwares such as apple music, amazon or tidal. We are talking about the mobile version for iOS, which is what we use here. We have tested several ipads of different years and the problem really seems to be with qobuz.

If we start the ipad, open qobuz and play a file (44.1K), it sounds perfect. If we replay the same song, it’s still fine. But the moment we chose another song from another album (44.1K), SQ drops with high frequency distortion being introduced. The distortion sounds like something on the clocking level. The average ear would probably not notice the change, but for our standards, it is enough to spoil the party… You can do some testing by playing first, immediately after startup, a very familiar file for 20 secs and repeating that file a couple of times. Then put on mute and play different files from different albums for a couple of seconds each, stopping and restarting them, etc. All files MUST have the same resolution, so all 44.1k. Then unmute and play the first file again for 20 seconds. You should be able to hear what I’m referring to. Again, it might be subtle, but it’s enough to downgrade the SQ to “lower quality” sound. We use different USB to spdif converters, such as the m2tech hiface 2.

We have noticed this issue in the past when switching between hires and standard resolution files, which definitely changes the sound for worse and completely compromises SQ for us. So whenever we change the resolution we restart the ipad for optimal sound.

Recently, as mentioned, I have compared qobuz to other softwares specifically on this issue and to our surprise only qobuz has the “glitch”. When it comes to changing the resolution though, none of the apps seems to keep the original SQ present at startup.

It’s very odd that this sort of problem is present in services that are sold based on their superior sound quality. I wonder if anybody here has an explanation.

Quite an impressive issue report. Sorry, I cannot report on my own SQ experience, despite using Qobuz on my iPhone.

However, I‘d like to ask a few questions:

You mentioned 44.1 kHz; what bit depth, please? Probably 16 bits, but it is worth asking.

As you run a studio, maybe not only your ears are ”better“, but also your IT capabilities. Would you know of a way to check both sample rate and bit depth along your digital audio chain? On your iPads, on the peripherals. Would you see the expected values all along?

I am asking this since I am aware of bit depth issues with Qobuz on Android. At this point, I‘d like to leave it at this hinting only.

1 hour ago, 111MilesToGo said:

Quite an impressive issue report. Sorry, I cannot report on my own SQ experience, despite using Qobuz on my iPhone.

However, I‘d like to ask a few questions:

You mentioned 44.1 kHz; what bit depth, please? Probably 16 bits, but it is worth asking.

As you run a studio, maybe not only your ears are ”better“, but also your IT capabilities. Would you know of a way to check both sample rate and bit depth along your digital audio chain? On your iPads, on the peripherals. Would you see the expected values all along?

I am asking this since I am aware of bit depth issues with Qobuz on Android. At this point, I‘d like to leave it at this hinting only.

I don't know how and doubt there's a way to check bit depth integrity while playing a file through Qobuz. Whatever is going on, it might or might not affect bit integrity. It might be an issue with clocking as I said. I don't know. With other players like Amazon music or Apple, if the same happens, it is on a far more subtle level. If you're using an iphone and just listening through headphones, I believe there's no way you'll tell the difference. The issue becomes clear on a state-of-the art purist system. We were able to compare ipad/qobuz (optimized ipad, of course) with computers and dedicated streamers costing sometimes tens of thousands of dollars. Our conclusion was that it makes no sense to go other way. The real difference one can have, supposing the streamer used is sending the data bit perfect, is on the conversion from the usb signal to spdif and the connection to the dac. But that's a different subject. The only issue we're having is the one described above. Unfortunately, the other streaming options suck as interface and in other ways compared to qobus. Tdal with its disgusting MQA is not an option. Apple and Amazon have other issues, not to mention being what those companies are... Bear in mind that we have not tested all ipad models, perhaps with the new versions the issue disappears.

android x ios

I also wonder if people here have had the chance to compare using android and ios. I suppose it would be a though thing to compare given the potential deep differences btw the tablets being compared too. It would be interesting to have some feedback on this matter anyway.

On 10/7/2022 at 10:54 AM, 111MilesToGo said:

Since noone from Qobuz responded to my mini-player issue reported and discussed above, I now e-mailed [email protected]. I do hope that the silence experienced now does not indicate a tendency of Qobuz to return to their old style of miniature customer relationships …

I just received an ”undeliverable“ message for my e-mail to [email protected]. This mail address is given on the Qobuz App Page on Google Play Store.

Please, can someone provide help to reach out to Qobuz and report the a.m. nasty bug/feature in their Android App. Thanks!

In fact, it gets very annoying now to not see @David Craffor @Pierre B.here these days, and to find that e-mail address not working anymore. Qobuz, where are you heading … ??????

6 hours ago, 111MilesToGo said:

I just received an ”undeliverable“ message for my e-mail to [email protected]. This mail address is given on the Qobuz App Page on Google Play Store.

Please, can someone provide help to reach out to Qobuz and report the a.m. nasty bug/feature in their Android App. Thanks!

In fact, it gets very annoying now to not see @David Craffor @Pierre B.here these days, and to find that e-mail address not working anymore. Qobuz, where are you heading … ??????

After lots of searching, I found a contact form on the Qobuz website. Entered my message and asked for forwarding tobte Android developer team. Let‘s see …

15 minutes ago, 111MilesToGo said:

After lots of searching, I found a contact form on the Qobuz website. Entered my message and asked for forwarding tobte Android developer team. Let‘s see …

Good luck as I haven't gotten any acknowledgements or responses from that form either in a year or more now. Shame too as when I first signed up with Qobuz I used to always get a response. Makes no sense...

@dmackta, @David Craff, @Pierre B.:

Please, is anybody from Qobuz still reading this? If so, please respond to us folks her - your CUSTOMERS.

Personally, I am asking the Android developers to remove the nasty ”feature“ coming with the Qobuz mini-player on Android. Cf. my post above.

Please note that I had also used the contact form on your website, but to no avail yet.

Dear Qobuziennes, there are indications in the recent past that your customer centricity is going downhill, to say the least. Please realize that developing an attitude that is generally associated with the very big guys like M$, A$, or G$ is totally inappropriate for a company like yours.

Alternatively, one could interpret the sudden silence of yours on this website as being due to lots of personnel changes, at least in your French headquarters.

As another possible explanation, I sincerely hope this is not indicating a bad fate developing for your company, like being taken over, folding, or anything like that.

Looking forward to your responses.

Well, Qobuz is better than I/we (@Stereo) thought. Sorry (@dmackta, @David Craff, @Pierre B.) if I was too harsh and too impatient - lesson learnt. I have now (Tuesday) received acknowledgments from Qobuz via e-mail of having received both my e-mail to [email protected] (last Friday, though I got ”undeliverable, this is a permanent error“ messages from the postmaster) and my subsequent post on their website contact form (last Saturday).

Both acknowledgments say the bug report/ feature request is being forwarded to the Android developer team, and they promise to return to me when that team responds. Looking forward to that!

On 10/2/2022 at 12:52 PM, 111MilesToGo said:

Please, @David Craffand @Pierre B.of Qobuz: The recently introduced mini-player of the Qobuz Android App is in need of a rectification. It grabs the audio and doesn‘t let go of it. The effect is that one can NOT play via UAPP after closing Qobuz. The Qobuz mini-player NEEDS to have a Close button (X) which dismisses it in full.

This issue has been laid out on the previous page (185) here, cf. my posts there and others, including screenshots.

Unfortunately, there has been no answer from Qobuz yet. Looking forward to your response and taking care of the issue. Thanks in advance.

PS: Please let me know if I should contact [email protected]. In the past, that mail address has been quite unreliable in communicating bugs to Qobuz. I would be happy if that has changed now for the better.

Hi @111MilesToGo Sorry for my late answer.

In a few days we will release a new version of the application using Android Media 3, this may correct the problem but I will check with the team anyway.

Regards

Qobuz Product Manager for Desktop, Web Player and Search Engine.

On 9/17/2022 at 1:20 AM, firedog said:

Question about playback with Android app: I've setup the item that calls for streaming to the phone to be in mp3 - both over wifi and data stream.

Yet  I'm still getting streaming in higher resolution streams. 

Anyone else have this issue? Any idea what to do about it?

Hi,

Do you have any import data of track or album ?

On 10/7/2022 at 10:54 AM, 111MilesToGo said:

Since noone from Qobuz responded to my mini-player issue reported and discussed above, I now e-mailed [email protected]. I do hope that the silence experienced now does not indicate a tendency of Qobuz to return to their old style of miniature customer relationships …

It's not the case, it's just a lack of time and personal problems that did not allow me to come and answer you more quickly

20 hours ago, 111MilesToGo said:

@dmackta, @David Craff, @Pierre B.:

Please, is anybody from Qobuz still reading this? If so, please respond to us folks her - your CUSTOMERS.

Personally, I am asking the Android developers to remove the nasty ”feature“ coming with the Qobuz mini-player on Android. Cf. my post above.

Please note that I had also used the contact form on your website, but to no avail yet.

Dear Qobuziennes, there are indications in the recent past that your customer centricity is going downhill, to say the least. Please realize that developing an attitude that is generally associated with the very big guys like M$, A$, or G$ is totally inappropriate for a company like yours.

Alternatively, one could interpret the sudden silence of yours on this website as being due to lots of personnel changes, at least in your French headquarters.

As another possible explanation, I sincerely hope this is not indicating a bad fate developing for your company, like being taken over, folding, or anything like that.

Looking forward to your responses.

It's crazy how quickly you can draw conclusions without any basis. Have a little patience. Sorry for the delay in responding but don't panic and don't pressure it won't help.

3 hours ago, David Craff said:

Hi @111MilesToGo Sorry for my late answer.

In a few days we will release a new version of the application using Android Media 3, this may correct the problem but I will check with the team anyway.

Regards

2 hours ago, David Craff said:

It's not the case, it's just a lack of time and personal problems that did not allow me to come and answer you more quickly

2 hours ago, David Craff said:

It's crazy how quickly you can draw conclusions without any basis. Have a little patience. Sorry for the delay in responding but don't panic and don't pressure it won't help.

Dear @David Craff, thank you so much for being back here and responding comprehensively. I hope your time and personal situation are well again. Anyway, my apologies for being impatient and become a victim of premature hypotheses (of course, nothing more). I stand corrected. It feels good to be in a situation of mutual trust.

Kind regards and all the best,

111MilesToGo

/Cc @dmackta, @Pierre B.

Hi @David Craff, it's been I while since I posted here or sent you a private message: since I moved from XIAOMI to SAMSUNG my problem with Android Auto disappeared (Qobuz was not launching properly and I had to start playing music from device, not very handy while driving...).

Unfortunately, since a few dayus ago (and I am not sure what trigegred this) I am having problem with AA also with my SAMSUNG (an S22 Ultra with Android 12, Qobuz stable version 6.9.1.0): when choosing an album or a playlist, a black screen with "Reading selection in progress..." in shown and nothing gets displayed. A video here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/dDCn71baCRWRQwNi8