IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

45 minutes ago, Norton said:

I’m in UK.

Lack of integration with Roon etc  is a barrier to adoption  for me, although I understand Bryston may be enabling Quobuz integration on the BDP.

Just looked at the shop.  What level of % discount do you get on downloads with Sublime+?

And is this the case both for HiRes and RBCD downloads?

Here download pricing for this morning's Qobuz topcharts - downloads & streaming - all in Euro.

Artist  Album Redbook HighRez Sublime
Qobuz Charts Downloads        
Muse Simulation Theory (Deluxe) 17,49 20,49 13,49
The Beatles  White Album [Super Deluxe] 83,99 136,99 68,49
Dead Can Dance Dionysus 11,99 16,49 8,49
The Beatles The Beatles 27,99 38,99 19,49
Imagine Dragons Origins 14,99 21,49 10,99
Marianne Faithfull Negative Capability 13,49 15,99 10,49
Baxter Dury & Étienne de Crécy
 & Delilah Holliday
B.E.D 7,49 10,49 5,49
Steven Wilson Home Invasion: In Concert
At The Royal Albert Hall
21,99 30,99 15,49
Eagles Legacy 33,99 39,99 25,99
Eric Bibb Global Griot 10,99 14,99 7,49
Qobuz Charts Streaming         
Cat Power Wanderer 7,99 11,99 7,99
Christine And The Queens Chris 11,99 17,99 11,99
Hélène Grimaud Memory 14,99 21,49 10,99
Víkingur Ólafsson Johann Sebastian Bach 14,99 21,49 10,99
Prince Piano & A Microphone 1983 14,99 17,49 11,49
Tony Bennett & Diana Krall
with the Bill Charlap Trio
Love Is Here To Stay 14,99 21,49 10,99
Shai Maestro The Dream Thief 16,49 23,49 11,99
John Lennon  Imagine - The Ultimate Collection 41,99          N.A.           N.A.
Tom Petty An American Treasure (Deluxe) 33,99 39,99 25,99
Angele Brol 14,99 21,49 10,99

Dirk

2 hours ago, Norton said:

Lack of integration with Roon etc  is a barrier to adoption  for me, although I understand Bryston may be enabling Quobuz integration on the BDP.

The Bryston BDP has a UPnP renderer setting that already allows it to be integrated with Qobuz via several third party UPnP controller applications, including the BubbleUPnP Android app & mConnect Player app (Android & iOS, plus free Lite version available).

Also, if you use Android devices, you can even use Qobuz's own app or the Qobuz's website/webplayer on the Chrome web browser app, via the Android Share feature to the BubbleUPnP app, to get any UPnP renderer to play Qobuz tracks (so including the BDP).

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

On 11/14/2018 at 11:33 AM, David Craff said:

Hi

Above all, it is a strategic choice for the moment. There are no real obstacles if we only use English language for these countries. We will have technical adaptations to implement such as payment..

I think it will come one day but for the moment the focus is on the United States.

Regards

Thank you for your response to my question. Unfortunately I didn’t get a better insight to why we in Sweden can’t use Qobuz when it’s available in many other countries in Europe.

3 minutes ago, Summit said:

Thank you for your response to my question. Unfortunately I didn’t get a better insight to why we in Sweden can’t use Qobuz when it’s available in many other countries in Europe.

They don't have the staff and budget for Swedish localization (in other words, translation and related adjustments to the website and apps). Even without localization, they would need to make changes to accept payments from Sweden. Qobuz is a small company, and I suspect they are quite overwhelmed with preparing for the US launch.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

13 minutes ago, left channel said:

They don't have the staff and budget for Swedish localization (in other words, translation and related adjustments to the website and apps). Even without localization, they would need to make changes to accept payments from Sweden. Qobuz is a small company, and I suspect they are quite overwhelmed with preparing for the US launch.

If we have the listening rights to our catalogue, what remains to be verified will be the technical issues. Adding a country to our service is not done in 5 minutes. Not to mention the payment methods to be taken into account.

Qobuz Product Manager for Desktop, Web Player and Search Engine.

27 minutes ago, left channel said:

I don’t’ think that any translations or adjustments to any website and apps are needed to open up for people from Sweden to use Qobuz. We usually don’t have special made apps in Sweden or translate everything in to Swedish. We don’t even do dubbing on movies for adult and Tidal for example is in English. I guess some small changes is needed to accept payments from Sweden, but I can’t think it is a big deal these days, at least not from all the companies I regally buy things from. Many of them small and they use MasterCard, Visa, PayPal and other methods used to make international payments.

FYI Sweden is a member of EU.

7 minutes ago, Summit said:

I don’t’ think that any translations or adjustments to any website and apps are needed to open up for people from Sweden to use Qobuz. We usually don’t have special made apps in Sweden or translate everything in to Swedish. We don’t even do dubbing on movies for adult and Tidal for example is in English. I guess some small changes is needed to accept payments from Sweden, but I can’t think it is a big deal these days, at least not from all the companies I regally buy things from. Many of them small and they use MasterCard, Visa, PayPal and other methods used to make international payments.

FYI Sweden is a member of EU.

Have you ever tried to update a system to accept a new currency and/or verifications from a new country market, including PayPal and credit card APIs? It takes time. Developer time and tester time. Especially if your system chokes on some Swedish names or addresses. Yes, even in this century, that still happens.

Also as David mentioned in his reply to me above — and I'm surprised he didn't mention this problem first — they don't necessarily have licenses from all the music labels to offer their entire catalog in Sweden. The labels definitely live in the last century.

2 minutes ago, left channel said:

Have you ever tried to update a system to accept a new currency and/or verifications from a new country market, including PayPal and credit card APIs? It takes time. Developer time and tester time. Especially if your system chokes on some Swedish names or addresses. Yes, even in this century, that still happens.

Also as David mentioned in his reply to me above — and I'm surprised he didn't mention this problem first — they don't necessarily have licenses from all the music labels to offer their entire catalog in Sweden. The labels definitely live in the last century.

I don't tell that we do not have licenses for this country, I think we have for all europe, but it's not my job so we need to check this.

Qobuz Product Manager for Desktop, Web Player and Search Engine.

22 minutes ago, David Craff said:

If we have the listening rights to our catalogue, what remains to be verified will be the technical issues. Adding a country to our service is not done in 5 minutes. Not to mention the payment methods to be taken into account.

Understood. The interest in the US must be encouraging for you.   US customers excited about the service.  Sublime seems perfect for many of us.  

9 minutes ago, left channel said:

Sweden is a member of EU.

The European Union (EU) is a political and economic union of 28 member states that are located primarily in Europe.[14] It has an area of 4,475,757 km2 (1,728,099 sq mi) and an estimated population of about 513 million. The EU has developed an internal single market through a standardised system of laws that apply in all member states in those matters, and only those matters, where members have agreed to act as one. EU policies aim to ensure the free movement of people, goods, services and capital within the internal market,[15] enact legislation in justice and home affairs and maintain common policies on trade,[16] agriculture,[17] fisheries and regional development.[18]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union

4 minutes ago, Summit said:

Sweden is a member of EU.

The European Union (EU) is a political and economic union of 28 member states that are located primarily in Europe.[14] It has an area of 4,475,757 km2 (1,728,099 sq mi) and an estimated population of about 513 million. The EU has developed an internal single market through a standardised system of laws that apply in all member states in those matters, and only those matters, where members have agreed to act as one. EU policies aim to ensure the free movement of people, goods, services and capital within the internal market,[15] enact legislation in justice and home affairs and maintain common policies on trade,[16] agriculture,[17] fisheries and regional development.[18]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union

There are still exceptions and problems, and even for those labels fully complying the royalty percentages are different across EU territories and access levels (streaming, download, tethered download, etc.). All David is saying is that his legal and accounting team would have to spend time on it, time they do not currently have.

I'm in the USA and am definitely looking forward to the service coming soon... on Spotify Premium, have tried Tidal HiFi, even tried streaming Qobuz from FR. Spotify desktop on Mac and W10 has developed an issue where the stream stops playing and I am ready to move on.

Official Qobuz issues or issues with Qobuz? 

I see the omission of Sweden as a question which might yield a more insightful answer through personal investigation.  If it were prudent to do so, I'm reasonably sure an answer would have been forthcoming.  I'm sure many of us would be curious to know the answer.  Just not at the expense of delaying the US launch or forcing David into making an ill advised statement.

EU membership does imply a lot of commonality with other member nations.  This lack of service may not be due to a legal concern or expectation placed on foreign businesses.  It also may not be Qobuz simply decided the Swedish market was undesirable at this juncture for any one of an uncountable number of reasons.  One of which might be a rather infamous online digital media distribution company of Swedish origin. 

Conjecture might be better left for another less "Official" thread directly tackling the day's question.  :)

24 minutes ago, rando said:

Official Qobuz issues or issues with Qobuz? 

I see the omission of Sweden as a question which might yield a more insightful answer through personal investigation.  If it were prudent to do so, I'm reasonably sure an answer would have been forthcoming.  I'm sure many of us would be curious to know the answer.  Just not at the expense of delaying the US launch or forcing David into making an ill advised statement.

EU membership does imply a lot of commonality with other member nations.  This lack of service may not be due to a legal concern or expectation placed on foreign businesses.  It also may not be Qobuz simply decided the Swedish market was undesirable at this juncture for any one of an uncountable number of reasons.  One of which might be a rather infamous online digital media distribution company of Swedish origin. 

Conjecture might be better left for another less "Official" thread directly tackling the day's question.  :)

Sorry. I'm a globalization / localization professional, and it drives me nuts when people think that a country can be added just by flipping a switch. Especially when a CEO thinks that. ?

I can say with certainty backed up by industry analyst reports that Sweden is a "Tier 2" country normally targeted after "Tier 1" markets like English, Spanish, and French. This is true not only for small companies with limited resources, but also for large multinational corporations.  Even Netflix started slowly and carefully, with Canadian French.

They don't do this out of lack of respect or interest. It's just that each market requires time and money. If you want a quick peek into just one small headache involved in entering a new market, see the EU licensing royalties spreadsheet I linked to above.

Just now, rando said:

Does your professional interest preclude the ability to take this to a dedicated thread? 

Not being impolite.  Just noting this has been suitably aired and is on the verge of becoming messy/irrelevant content. 

An "Official" answer was provided.  

Sorry. As you were typing that I was editing my previous reply to soften it a bit. I'm just trying to back David up here with more detail.

9 hours ago, Cebolla said:

The Bryston BDP has a UPnP renderer setting that already allows it to be integrated with Qobuz

Thanks, I‘ve not been impressed by UPnP in the past.   I’d be looking for  Roon integration or direct integration with the BDP before I’d consider moving from Tidal.

8 minutes ago, Norton said:

So I take this means that as a Sublime+ subscriber I would get, for example, the HiRes dl of the Muse Album for  13.49 rather than 20.49?

I am seeing Simulation Theory (deluxe) pricing as £20.49 cd, £23.49 HiRes, £14.99 HiRes for Sublime subscriber.

Non deluxe is £15.49, £17.99, £11.99.

David

MacMini, Mytek Manhattan I DAC, Avantone The Abbey Monitors, Roon

Hi, my android Qobuz has updated and as expected I had to recreate my offline library. All good and it was playing perfectly well with streaming or local albums. My problem came when someone knocked on the door and I discovered I couldn't stop it :) :) after about 3 albums worth of playing it just locked up. I turned the volume down to deal with the visitor and then went back to it later and had to 'stop' the app. Even that took an awful long time but I was able to do so without restarting my whole phone. 

Has anyone else had any similar issues? I have not used it since because we are travelling and I haven't wanted to risk the phone while away from home.  I doubt it would do so but away from any sort of backup I would be in a mess. Will try it again when I get back. 

Sure it will soon soon be sorted.

cheers

martin