IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

Thanks but I've tried this and I end up examining albums individually since you cannot be certain that an album that says available in 5.1 really is.  More often than not, it is  available only for purchase in that format.

I've tried multichannel, surround, multikanal, 6ch, 5.1, 5.0, 4.0.  Also, I run Qobuz via Roon and, in all cases, my own library of multichannel albums completely swamps what Qobuz offers.  That means that, in all cases, I am sifting through a haystack for the occasional needle.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

35 minutes ago, rando said:

Did you find the menu dropdown from Classical button on top of my screenshot?  I imagine MCH will soon be readily discoverable in their 5.1 "MultiCANAL" section.

Nope.  I didn't see that because I am not on the PublicBeta.  I hope that will happen.

Kal Rubinson

4 hours ago, Martin H said:

Surely you need to go into an album to play it anyway or are you wanting Roon to only show you the albums that are available for streaming with your subscription? I would think that must surely require Roon changes and possibly a Qobuz change (not clear). 

My subscription is "HiFi Sublime+," so I should be able to play anything they offer.  It is the searching facility that is a problem.  Roon will not let me search only for Qobuz offerings and Qobuz will not let me search by format.

Do you really want to choose what you listen to based on the digital source?

Yes.  I want to know what Qobuz offers in multichannel.

You could check the albums out in Qobuz app - favourite or playlist them and then access them via Roon when you re ready to play them? 

I have tried this but Qobuz will not search by format in the app, either.  

Kal Rubinson

6 hours ago, David Craff said:

I had this filter to the search enging : #multichannel

This one will filter only releases on  search result. You can also combo with query like "#multichannel jordi savall"

Yes.  This finds 36 multichannel albums.  I already own most of them.

6 hours ago, David Craff said:

You can find them via the shop and clic to listen on player.

Unfortunately, this is not possible to do easily because the shop only appears on the Public Beta app and not via Roon.  Playing multichannel requires use of Roon because Qobuz does not play nice with my exSound DAC.

OK for now.  Hoping things will iron out over time.

Kal Rubinson

1 hour ago, Sal1950 said:

Kal,  What is the  data path your using to get proper multich streaming functioning?

I'm using the Wn 10 app, have the Studio level service, using HDMI feed directly into my Marantz 7703 PrePro via wasapi (exculsive mode).

My setup is using Qobuz within Roon because Qobuz has issues with the exaSound USB driver and will not let me use the e38 by USB.  

I have not tried HDMI but I have a new gadget that might enable me to try it.

Kal Rubinson

9 minutes ago, Bob Stern said:

I have no idea whether this will enable you to drive the exaSound e38 directly from the Qobuz app, but it's trivial to try if you are willing to run Qobuz on a Mac and connect your exaSound e38 directly to that Mac:

Thanks for the time and effort but I prefer not to use my Mac unless absolutely necessary, especially since this is not a long-term solution.  I have raised the issue with both exaSound and Qobuz.

Kal Rubinson

9 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

I now notice the little box at the bottom reports the stream as 24/192 Stereo or whatever that album's speed. Clicking on that box reports the various speed streams available but nothing of 5.1.  Does yours show a 5.1 option there?

That box does not appear when using Qobuz within Roon and that is the only way that I have accessed/played multichannel.

Kal Rubinson

5 hours ago, Paul R said:

Hi Kal - probably a bit of dumb question, but multi-channel audio streams all the time with video. Isn't anyone thinking of riding on Netflix or something to stream the audio? 

I mean, it seems logical. The Netflix subscriber base would (probably) have a much larger base of listeners able to stream multi-channel... ?

I can't believe someone has not put that together and started Qobuz on Netflix. Soundtracks are Us? 

That idea was raised at the RMAF multichannel seminar and was well received.  Someone needs to run with it.

Kal Rubinson

2 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

Remember that the multich streaming done on Netflix is done in highly compressed Dolby Digital Plus format. Supposedly capable of doing up to 7.1 channels but I'm not aware of anything beyond 5.1 at this time. Since I haven't been successful in getting Qobuz 5.1 working here, I have no idea what the available datarate is.  Maybe Kal knows, I can't find any documentation on Qobuz 5.1 at all.

Remember that the compressed DD+ sound stream comes with (often) HD video which is much more of a data load than discrete hi-rez multichannel.  The bandwidth is there.

David Craff  maybe you can get someone to supply some technical details on 5.1 and what gear/path is required for proper playback.

Yes, please.  Also, it would be nice to have some insight into whether Q has more future plans for multichannel.

Kal Rubinson

46 minutes ago, David Craff said:

I'm sure that if you buy multichannel album this will work. I have to check if our applications can stream multichannel or only stereo.

I can stream multichannel from Qobuz but not directly from the app.  I stream it via Roon.   From the same tracks, the app will only output stereo.

Kal Rubinson

11 hours ago, bobbmd said:

assume you would need audio stream from Qobuz or other streaming service capable sending 5 channel signal into a DAC out to an avr capable of sending of accepting signal and convert it to analogue

Yes, using ROON or Audirvana+3, you will need a 5-8 channel DAC to get your analog signals.  The least expensive one that I have used is the miniDSP U-DAC8.

Kal Rubinson

If you get a chance, could you check ROON/Audirana 5.1 over HDMI into your Marantz 8805 or whatever AVR your working with now.    If that's even possible? ;)

Not likely.  Don't really use Audirvana.  Frankly, I do not use Roon except to fool with Qobuz.

Kal Rubinson

15 minutes ago, Sal1950 said:

OK, I thought that was your daily usage since you said Qobuz 5.1 worked with it for you.

I do not recall ever saying that.  

I have tried Audirvana+3 but only casually.  I responded to another's post about using Qobuz with Audirvana+3 and I told him what hardware he might need.

I use JRiver almost exclusively.  It is not Qobuz-friendly and, so far, I have only been able to get stereo piped through from the Qobuz app.

I use Roon from time to time for various reasons and it integrates well with Qobuz and the Qobuz/Roon pairing does 5.1 with, so far, two of my DACs.

I have not tried any of these Qobuz-related tasks with HDMI to the Marantz because it resides in my CT house and I have not been there in weeks.  I will be there this weekend but there are many chores ahead.  It is unlikely I will get to this one.

Kal Rubinson

23 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

If you switch on JRiver's DLNA Renderer, you should be able to get it to stream audio tracks (including the 5.1 ones) from Qobuz's online server using a Qobuz supporting UPnP/DLNA controller, such as the mConnect Player app (iOS or Android) or the BubbleUPnP Android app.

I am not sure how to do this but I will look into it.

Kal Rubinson

1 hour ago, Cebolla said:

Enabling JRMC's DLNA renderer is straight forward enough:

...............................................................................................

Unfortunately, I can't think of a Qobuz supporting standard UPnP/DLNA controller application for the Mac, if you'd rather not use a handheld device as the user interface.

Actually, I'd rather not use a Mac.

Kal Rubinson

13 minutes ago, bobbmd said:

SO- do you think this miniDSP DAC will reproduce the sound of actual discs do you have one?( the cost is low enough to take the chance) ?

I don't now exactly how to answer that.  On the one hand, yes, it will play everything up to 24/192 and up to 8channels without any issues but it will not do DSD.  On the other, its audible performance does not compare with that of some other (much more expensive) DACs that I have used.  Whether it is superior to using your AVR (I think that is what you are saying you tried), I have no idea.

Kal Rubinson

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, David Craff said:

The option for our application to be able to play a track in 5.1 format will be studied. However, we will prioritize the application issues. However, we will not wait for the labels to provide us with more 5.1 content so that our application can benefit from it.

OK.  The availability of 5.1 content should not be a limiting factor for you if the providers were aware of your (and our) interest.

Kal Rubinson

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, David Craff said:

We don't plan to add this to our applications because we have many things to improve before.

Adding more albums multichannel on our catalog depends of the supplier.

OK.  Then how about doing something that will permit us to see all the current multichannel albums from Roon since that is the only way we can play them?

Kal Rubinson