IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, 111MilesToGo said:

Qobuz Android App Version 6.0 - Catastrophic screw-up

I updated my Qobuz Android App on my Cayin N6ii DAP to version 6.0.0.4 today. Prior to that I had the last series-5 version, 5.20.0.1, which had worked "well" (which means in the known way, but according to my currently quite limited expectations). This version 6 is a gigantic and catastrophic screw-up - believe me, these words are not enough to fully represent my surprise and anger, but words appropriate for the feelings would NOT be appropriate for writing.

I should like to bring this directly to the attention of @David Craff and Dan Mackta @dmackta. I feel this urgency is justified due to the long history of serious Qobuz software issues and inadequacies.

Up-front remark: It might well be possible that my observations are limited to the Cayin N6ii Digital Audio Player, even if version 5.20 had functioned as it should. I would be happy if others users of other DAPs could check the behavior of Version 6, please.

Myself, I am going to wait for a very short while. Thereafter I will resort to the Qobuz Android App version 5.20.0.1 as available e.g. on APKMirror. Since sideloading would be first for me, I hope to have made sure enough how it should be done beforehand.

My observations:

1.) I cannot play any HiRes tracks anymore - to be precise, almost none

Worst things first: Despite having a Studio Premier subscription, I cannot play HiRes tracks anymore. For example, trying to stream and play that Tom Petty 24/96 album which is the first one of the New Albums this week, it just doesn't start. Same failure for a HiRes album which I have among my favorites. I came across one or two HiRes albums that would play, though, but I strongly suspect I had played them before from version 5 of the app such that they would be left in the cache (cf. issue 2 below).

When I set the Streaming Resolution to be 16/44.1 in the Qobuz app preferences, I can stream and play these albums perfectly fine - limited to CD quality, of course.

The same failure occurs when I import those albums today. No imported HiRes would play, the same album imported as CD quality plays.

Dear David, I can imagine faintly that your Android software people were trying to do something with respect to that infamous HiRes issue which @DarginMahkum and I brought to your attention in our private thread here on AS. If that were true, then I conclude they put horrible regressions into the code.

2.) I cannot clear the cache anymore

As I wanted to check playing some HiRes tracks from streaming instead of from the local cache, I wanted to entirely clear the cache, which resides on my SD card. I simply can't do that anymore. No matter what resolution I chose to delete (CD or HiRes), nothing happens. The cache remains filled.

3.) Offlined ("imported") tracks have a somewhat bigger chunk file size now, by still by far inappropriate

As I had complained bitterly here on this thread some time ago about the Qobuz way of storing imported offlined tracks, I checked into that matter today, too. Previously, imported tracks were stored in lots of chunk files, each 2 MB in size. A horrible concept, since for example 100 imported albums with a total size of 100 GB end up as 50,000 chunk files on the SD card. At boot and at various times of using my DAP, it took Android approx. 15 minutes to read the SD card directory. Of course, the chunk file concept gets increasingly terrible with increasing audio track resolution, i.e. number of chunk files er track. Horrendous!

Following that discovery, I had given up on importing any album since long. But of course we are paying for that feature ...

So I imported a few albums today and checked the download directory. The chunk file concept is still being used, albeit I see different file sizes today, ranging from the original 2 MB to 3.4 MB and "even" 5 MB.

OMG, if that is a Qobuz attempt to make Android devices read the import directory faster, then that BY FAR still is awfully inappropriate. Chunk file sizes should be increased in such a way as to decrease the number of chunk files BY A FACTOR OF 10 OR MORE. Chosing different chunk file sizes for different track resolutions would help greatly to fulfill both the anti-piracy needs and the useability of the Android devices.

I do sincerely hope these issues get resolved as soon as possible. I should really like to be informed here when you think these issues have been solved completely. Dear Qobuz people, I should like to point out time and again that Qobuz has singular offering for my audio desires which I endorse. But even my patience is not unlimited. Can you feel the heat from your competitors coming closer and closer in your back?

I have Qobuz Beta (6.0.0.4)  on my DX300 with Andoid 9. Similarly, it stopped playing HiRes audio and I thought it was something to do with beta software, but apparently it is not. I did't try all the scenarios but the big issue of not playing HiRes audio (44.1 kHz audio is OK) is there. Playing via UAPP (without import) works fine, so it is a Qobuz Android application issue for sure.

I think we need an immediate support here.