IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 5:13 PM, 111MilesToGo said:

Huge usability issues resulting from the Qobuz way of storing offline contents, at least in the Qobuz Android App

I am a Qobuz Studio subsriber for for a number of years now, i.e. a HiRes customer. For a long time, I used it on a Windows PC in stand-alone and in integration within Roon. A while ago, I added an Android DIgital Audio Player to my gear. I do now face the need to address the a.m. topic in public. Please bear with me for writing a long post. I e-mailed the Qobuz support last December and again early January. Answers haven't been entirely satisfactory, in essence "we have forwarded your request to our software engineers, they will follow up on it" and "... they will work on the performance of the app", nothing more as of now. So today I feel a need to "go public" and ask the folks here for your experience, and hopefully get the attention of a Qobuz staff member in order to assist.

Qobuz has opted to use the "chunk file method" (similar to YouToube) as one of the methods to provide piracy protection for offline contents ("imported" tracks). Each track is split and stored as a bunch of *.exo chunk files of 2 MB size in the import directory. In fact, these are tiny files as compared to the full size of a track's file, in particular as audo resolution is increasing when going up the HiRes steps.

My use case is maybe a bit out of the ordinary, but I do firmly think it is not an abuse: I wanted to follow up on the discography of one artist (Keith Jarrett), so I offlined approx. 100 albums. This resulted in taking up 100 GB of storage as a total of 50,000 (sic!) files, all in the import directory. My audio device is really choking on this, cf. below.

Why is offlining of utmost importance to me? I am using a portable Digital Audio Player (DAP), which hooks up to my home WiFi for internet connection. No internet available when out of the house, e.g. in the office. Plus, since it is a battery-powered device, one would like to limit WiFi usage in favor of overall battery life.

What are the huge usability issues resulting from this chunk file method? There are several:

1. My DAP is a Cayin N6ii running Android 8.1
    Sapdragon 425 CPU, 4 GB RAM, 64 GB internal storage
    1 TB SD card SanDisk Extreme Pro (top brand name product) - this storage holds the Qobuz import directory a.o.
    Not exactly the standard of today's smartphones, but still a top product in the niche market of Digital Audio Players.
    Software from Google Play Store, a.o. the Qobuz Android App (latest version 5.15)
  2. At boot-up, it takes Android about 30 minutes (sic!) until it has done the first read of the 50,000 file import directory which resides on the SD card. So I have acquired the habit of switching the N6ii on half an hour before I actually want to start listening.
  3. If I don't do (2), then the Qobuz Android App needs just this amount of time before getting ready for user input. (Wait spinner all the time.)
  4. When I select an album from my offlined contents, the Qobuz Android App takes about 30 seconds to a minute gathering all the file chunks that would make up this album; wait spinner again.
  5. When skipping forward or backwards within one track, or when skipping from one track to another, it takes some 10 seconds or more before replay continues.

I must say that (2), (4) and (5) are huge usability issues which can really spoil the joy of using Qobuz on this Android DAP. I figure this holds for many if not all DAPs, since there are at most a handful of Android DAPs which are closer to top smartphone standards. To my understanding, Qobuz targets demanding listeners, not the general mass audience. Again, my use case of offlining 100 albums is sort of unusual, but no abuse at all.

I hope to have explained clearly that there are two types of performance and thus usability issues resulting from the Qobuz way of storing offlined contents: One is due to Android as the OS, the others are due to the Qobuz Android App.

I am perfectly aware that the chunk file method is embedded deeply into the app, and that it is needed for piracy protection; thus I reckon it is an element in the licensing contracts with the record companies. But then, Tidal does store its offline contents in an optimum way regarding file system performance, i.e. as one file per one track, most probably encrypted.

So my questions and requests are:

1. What could Qobuz do to improve said performance / usability issues?
  2. Could Qobuz entirely do away with the chunk file method? (Cf. Tidal)
  3. Or could Qobuz reduce the number of chunk files drastically, let's say by a factor of 10 or 5 at least? E.g. by chosing the chunk file size dynamically depending on a track's resolution, instead of the current fixed 2 MB size?
  4. At least, what could Qobuz do to improve their Android App's performance in handling such large numbers of chunk files?

Thank you for patiently reading such a long post, and thanks a lot in advance for feedback, help, and ultimately solutions.

PS, not to be omitted: I do absolutely like Qobuz, its repertoire with respect to genres, artists, and albums. And I absolutely cherish their HiRes offerings. Plus, I do appreciate Qobuz supplying pdf booklets - that's the least one can do to recover the old times approach to enjoying music / records and their environment.

On 2/20/2021 at 12:56 AM, OutOfBreath said:

Hi there,

I sent an email to Qobuz about this around an hour ago (before I discovered this forum and post). I have exactly the same issue on my Hiby R5.

I really hope they can consider fixing this as it is the only bad thing I have found about the Qobuz service (been on the trial for around a week now). Unfortunately for me it's a bit of a showstopper.

I don't know the inner workings of the Android app - but I also suggested that instead of scanning the folder of files that they implement a database to keep track of the files. When a song is requested to be played, it is looked up in the database (which should be quite fast) which points to the correct files to play. I don't know if this is a workable solution or not (does the filesystem in Android need to scan the folder in question to be able to find the files?)- but maybe something worth investigating.

Segregating each album (or even artist) into separate folders instead of lumping all of the files into a single folder may also help (assuming they can get around the need to scan the entire card at startup).

I'm crossing my fingers for an improvement so I can ditch the *other* service I'm currently using that doesn't appear to have this issue.

Regards,

Paul

On 2/20/2021 at 2:27 AM, OutOfBreath said:

To add: (I don't think I can edit my posts)

The issue will not only affect 'imported' albums, but also the 'cache' which works in the same way.

I've set the cache to use 200GB. Over time this will fill up with the albums I listen to. At 2MB per chunk this will end up at around 100,000 files for the application to scan every time the DAP is restarted. Add that to any 'imported' albums and after a while the system will be scanning upwards of a quarter of a million files.

Just a kind reminder, please. I do strongly feel that this severe issue needs to be commented upon by Qobuz staff. As it was explained, the unwisely chosen brute-force method of piracy protection via tiny chunk files causes dreadful performance of the (Android) App, bringing the usability down. Also be reminded that Tidal does nothing of that kind. Cancelling my Qobuz subscription would be a pity.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, I do usually not like to join the club of people ranting about specific albums as released on Qobuz. But today ...

Neil Young, Young Shakespeare (Live)

released today

Looking at the album in Album View, second page, on both the Qobuz Android and iOS Apps: 24/44.1

Playing with the Qobuz Android App on Cayin N6ii Android DAP: 96 kHz shown on Now Playing screen

Playing with UAPP on Cayin N6ii Android DAP: 24/192 on Now Playing screen

Playing with Qobuz iOS App on iPhone XR: 192 kHz on Now Playing screen

All apps updated to their latest releases thru Google Play and Apple AppStore, resp.

On the NYA (Neil Young Archives) Download Store this album is listed as 24/192.

Looks like quite some mess, calling for rectification.

1 hour ago, firedog said:

I favorited in Qobuz app, where it is listed as 24/44.1; but in Roon (Qobuz window) it shows up as "mixed formats". Apparently the streaming version is mixed formats and not a single uniform one. That might account for what you are seeing.

Thanks for pointing this out. Indeed, there is one track at 24/44.1, while all others are 24/192. I checked all tracks now: The Qobuz iOS App and UAPP with integrated Q do it all correctly. The Qobuz Android App stubbornly does 96 kHz for all but one tracks, and 44.1 for that outlier.

So I guess the Qobuz Android App fails on this mixed sample rate album - no idea why. Of course, I checked that it does the correct sampling rate for any 192-only album.

7 minutes ago, David Craff said:

Track 7 is in 44.1. If one track of an album is different than the other, we display the lowest quality.

Generally customers will complain that we display 192 when a track is not in this quality and not the opposite :D

Regards

Thank you! That’s fine. But ... please take a look also at the later posts regarding this album, in particular with respect to the Q Android App playing at 96k instead of 192k for all tracks except the 44.1 of that particular album.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Nialli said:

I have Sonos speakers and I’m on Qobuz Studio. Does 24-bit HR streaming need any settings changing on the Sonos app? I found this https://www.qobuz.com/profile/externals but it doesn’t seem to work

Maybe you might want to take a look at https://darko.audio/2021/03/hi-res-streaming-comes-to-sonos-via-qobuz-sort-of/. Sounds like there is more information on your problem in that article. Myself, I don't have Sonos speakers - no experience of my own.

So I dare to suggest an improvement for Qobuz to implement. AFAIK, this thread is the (only?) official place to file issues with anything related to Qobuz (besides writing e-mails to support which by the experience of many customers is not overly helpful). It might be very helpful if ALL responsible product managers (by app / operating system, music contents, textual publications) could read this thread regularly, respond in due course according to their field of work, and keep track of issues / solutions. This would eliminate the ping-pong game that takes place here all too often, where @David Craffis almost the only one taking all the load. Thanks for your consideration.

3 hours ago, athegn said:

I have now found it:-

SD card > Andriod > data> com.qobuz.music > files > Music > Import cache

There are 15773 files covering 353 albums; I normally download whole albums in Mp3.

This means that each album needs 45 files, on average?

I wonder if this can cause problems e.g each file will need a header so repeated a number of times per track. 

Can't Qobuz store data in larger files?

@athegn: You have hit one of the internals in the Qobuz Android App, which could be called ”legacy burden“, ”technological debt“. This issue is the so-called ”chunk file method“, whereby offlined contents and the online cache are stored as lots of tiny (2 MB) chunk files. Please refer to the previous posts here:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/46611-official-qobuz-issues-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1110738

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/46611-official-qobuz-issues-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1110812

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/46611-official-qobuz-issues-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1110836

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/46611-official-qobuz-issues-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1114017

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/46611-official-qobuz-issues-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1114019

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/46611-official-qobuz-issues-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1115792

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/46611-official-qobuz-issues-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1115821

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/46611-official-qobuz-issues-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1115884

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/46611-official-qobuz-issues-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1115891

It would be great if you could help in following up on this flawed concept and on the solution which is supposedly on its way to us.

• 2 months later...

Qobuz Android App Version 6.0 - Catastrophic screw-up

I updated my Qobuz Android App on my Cayin N6ii DAP to version 6.0.0.4 today. Prior to that I had the last series-5 version, 5.20.0.1, which had worked "well" (which means in the known way, but according to my currently quite limited expectations). This version 6 is a gigantic and catastrophic screw-up - believe me, these words are not enough to fully represent my surprise and anger, but words appropriate for the feelings would NOT be appropriate for writing.

I should like to bring this directly to the attention of @David Craff and Dan Mackta @dmackta. I feel this urgency is justified due to the long history of serious Qobuz software issues and inadequacies.

Up-front remark: It might well be possible that my observations are limited to the Cayin N6ii Digital Audio Player, even if version 5.20 had functioned as it should. I would be happy if others users of other DAPs could check the behavior of Version 6, please.

Myself, I am going to wait for a very short while. Thereafter I will resort to the Qobuz Android App version 5.20.0.1 as available e.g. on APKMirror. Since sideloading would be first for me, I hope to have made sure enough how it should be done beforehand.

My observations:

1.) I cannot play any HiRes tracks anymore - to be precise, almost none

Worst things first: Despite having a Studio Premier subscription, I cannot play HiRes tracks anymore. For example, trying to stream and play that Tom Petty 24/96 album which is the first one of the New Albums this week, it just doesn't start. Same failure for a HiRes album which I have among my favorites. I came across one or two HiRes albums that would play, though, but I strongly suspect I had played them before from version 5 of the app such that they would be left in the cache (cf. issue 2 below).

When I set the Streaming Resolution to be 16/44.1 in the Qobuz app preferences, I can stream and play these albums perfectly fine - limited to CD quality, of course.

The same failure occurs when I import those albums today. No imported HiRes would play, the same album imported as CD quality plays.

Dear David, I can imagine faintly that your Android software people were trying to do something with respect to that infamous HiRes issue which @DarginMahkum and I brought to your attention in our private thread here on AS. If that were true, then I conclude they put horrible regressions into the code.

2.) I cannot clear the cache anymore

As I wanted to check playing some HiRes tracks from streaming instead of from the local cache, I wanted to entirely clear the cache, which resides on my SD card. I simply can't do that anymore. No matter what resolution I chose to delete (CD or HiRes), nothing happens. The cache remains filled.

3.) Offlined ("imported") tracks have a somewhat bigger chunk file size now, by still by far inappropriate

As I had complained bitterly here on this thread some time ago about the Qobuz way of storing imported offlined tracks, I checked into that matter today, too. Previously, imported tracks were stored in lots of chunk files, each 2 MB in size. A horrible concept, since for example 100 imported albums with a total size of 100 GB end up as 50,000 chunk files on the SD card. At boot and at various times of using my DAP, it took Android approx. 15 minutes to read the SD card directory. Of course, the chunk file concept gets increasingly terrible with increasing audio track resolution, i.e. number of chunk files er track. Horrendous!

Following that discovery, I had given up on importing any album since long. But of course we are paying for that feature ...

So I imported a few albums today and checked the download directory. The chunk file concept is still being used, albeit I see different file sizes today, ranging from the original 2 MB to 3.4 MB and "even" 5 MB.

OMG, if that is a Qobuz attempt to make Android devices read the import directory faster, then that BY FAR still is awfully inappropriate. Chunk file sizes should be increased in such a way as to decrease the number of chunk files BY A FACTOR OF 10 OR MORE. Chosing different chunk file sizes for different track resolutions would help greatly to fulfill both the anti-piracy needs and the useability of the Android devices.

I do sincerely hope these issues get resolved as soon as possible. I should really like to be informed here when you think these issues have been solved completely. Dear Qobuz people, I should like to point out time and again that Qobuz has singular offering for my audio desires which I endorse. But even my patience is not unlimited. Can you feel the heat from your competitors coming closer and closer in your back?

To add to this: I discovered two reports on Head-Fi where people report ”all hell breaks loose“ with version 6 of the Android App. These are for different devices, an iBasso DX300 and a Fiio M11 Pro.

These are here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/qobuz-lossless-streaming-service-thread.856101/post-16433199
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/qobuz-lossless-streaming-service-thread.856101/post-16440859

3 minutes ago, 111MilesToGo said:

... which is NOT provided by the Qobuz Android App Version 6.0.1.0, which was uploaded to the Google Play Store yesterday, superseding 6.0.0.4, and installed on my DAP today.

In fact, today I do notice another failure with 6.0.1.0 which I believe I didn't note with 6.0.0.4 yesterday, but maybe it was present already then.

Selecting a HiRes album via the Search function lets me look at the album details. For example: Igor Levit, Encounter (Sony). Album details in the Qobuz Android App state it is 24/96, which is confirmed by looking at the album via the Qobuz Download Store on the web, via playing it in UAPP on my Android DAP, and via playing it on my iPhone. Trying to play any track on the Android DAP produces the known failure "no replay at all", and it shows 48kHz on the Now Playing screen.

Same failure with a few other albums of various bitness/sample rate combinations.

I dare to mention that an enormous messing-up of metadata might be one of the bugs introduced in the Android App v6.

To add to the Version 6 mess seen with the Qobuz Android App, I have to report on the iOS Version 6 now. The Apple App Store forced it onto my iPhone XR yesterday. First thing I observe is that it lost the ability to display the album cover on my car audio system, as it used to do all the time before. iPhone coupled to the car via Apple Lightning to USB-A adapter cable. One more entry on the bug list …

2 hours ago, jedijimi said:

I myself am having problems with latest mobile update. I wish I knew how to log it for you but I don't. I can tell you what's it's doing. At start-up.... There is no start up. Un-installed re-installed, reformated SD card. No avail. App will not launch.

*Edit 
Is an android

Oh, you experience the ”Big Android App Screw-up“ reported earlier this week. Cf.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/46611-official-qobuz-issues-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1145512

It might be interesting to hear what device you are using.

5 hours ago, Mark Dirac said:

Qobuz is a fantastic service. But their team is small and exhibits the worst manifestations of sloppy design practices which is endemic in most of the software branch of the engineering profession.

Plus, as @DarginMahkum mentioned above, the Android software team - as seen from the outside - might need to get a Digital Audio Player (DAP, like e.g. iBasso DX300, Cayin N6ii or anything similar, where the manufacturer has tweaked Android to at least circumvent the obnoxious Android sample rate conversion to 48kHz) to test an app wrt HiRes before releasing it to the public.

7 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Can someone explain why Qobuz pauses imports if the mobile app isn’t active? This makes no sense to me. I like to start a download, then switch to another app while it completes. Not possible with Qobuz. You’re held hostage by keeping the app active and your screen on. 

CF3E04C7-D4FD-49D3-83F3-432680E7BCCF.png

3 hours ago, Bevok said:

It’ll be the battery saving features of the operating system that ‘paused’ apps that aren’t in use.

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

But I can still play music from the app when it's not in the foreground. I'd say downloading is using the app.

Just out of interest: From your screenshot, it looks like you are on an iPhone / iOS. Correct? Which Qobuz App version?

3 hours ago, thegios said:

I have a question regarding the HiRes playing in Android using an external usb-c DAC: does the official Quboz Android app use the standard Android drivers (that we know resample the output) or does it stream directly a bit perfect stream to the DAC?

We all know that USB Audio Player Pro seems to be the only app that streams bit perfect to external usb-c DAC (and supports natively Quboz), but Quboz UI is still better than UAPP.

I can answer by looking at what my Cayin N6ii DAP with Android 8.1 does. When connecting a USB-DAC (e.g. an AudioQuest DragonFly Red or a Chord Hugo 2) to it via a USB-C-to-A OTG cable (e.g. iFi), the operating system gives me a choice of letting UAPP or Neutron Player access the USB DAC. Neither the Qobuz nor the Tidal Android Apps are offered at this point.

Output to the USB-DACs works fine from UAPP and Neutron, the sample rates displayed are correct. No way to make sure that the second half of bit-perfect, the bit depth, is correct, too … If you have an idea how to look at the PCM bit depth, please let me know!

On my Cayin, neither Qobuz nor Tidal output to USB.

Tidal is reported to roll out their own implementation of a bit-perfect driver, cf. https://darko.audio/2021/07/tidal-is-quietly-rolling-out-a-bit-perfect-android-app/.

Of course, out of UAPP and Neutron, only UAPP integrates with Qobuz. But, as you said, the UAPP Qobuz UI is lacking some elements and features.

2 hours ago, athegn said:

As I am about to go away for a week or more where I will have little or no signal my requirement to resolve the non access to my downloads, on my Andriod phone, is becoming urgent.

If there are no resolutions in sight maybe I could revert to an early version of Qobuz. Is there a way to get early versions setup on my phone. I don't know which version I should revert to but later versions of 5.9.* caused the problem.

Any advice welcomed.

At the briefest: Go to either the APKMirror or APKPure web stores, search for the Qobuz App, choose the desired version, download it, and finally tap the downloaded .apk file to install it.

You should exercise care not to catch falsified software. Check to have the correct store, do the checksum test on the downloaded .apk package. Maybe download the .apk from both stores and compare via checksum. Maybe use your computer to download and check, then push the .apk to your DAP.

Hope that helps.

13 minutes ago, athegn said:

Thank for your post.

I should explain my setup. I have Qobuz on two devices. An Andriod tablet, connected to my hifi via ChromeCast, which only has my playlists on it. So do not download anything to that.

The other device is my Andriod phone which supplies data to my headphones; Chromecast to my Sennheiser and Bluetooth to my on the go headphones. 

If I do get an older Qobuz on my phone will I have to log out of Qobuz? I know if updating to latest version I do not have to but concerned that goin g backward maybe different. I understand that if I logout I lose all access to my downloads?

I will not do anything until next week ad holiday not till 1st August; spend this either waiting for a Qobuz resolution or back dating my Qobuz version on my phone.

Any more advice please?

Thanks for your post. Yes, it's always good to be considerate beforehand. Unfortunately, I cannot answer precisely.

My experience with the Qobuz Android App is:

When a minor version update comes in (M.N to M.N+1 or the like), nothing happens.

When a major version update comes in (M.N to M+1.0 or the like), I was asked to log in again.

Unfortunately, I don't know what happens to the downloaded (imported) tracks at a major version jump. I tend to suppose they will be left intact since you don't log out before that update.

I don't know what happens when you go back in versions. I recently went from the failed 6.0.x version to the latest functioning 5.20 one, and I wanted to erase everything related to v6 beforehand. So I logged out from Qobuz first which scraps the downloads, then uninstalled the version 6 app which scraps really any Qobuz-related directories. Finally I installed version 5.20 from scratch.

My experience with downloaded (imported) tracks in Qobuz Android is a mixed one. The problem has been mentioned on this thread some time back, by myself and others. As a measure against piracy, Qobuz stores all audio data (imported, cached) in the form of tiny chunk files (.exo extension) on disk. Before version 6, all *.exo files were just 2 MB in size; I see version 6 use 2, 3, or 5 MB - not a whole lot of progress, but they say they are working on this design issue. Quite shortly after starting Qobuz on my Android DAP, I had imported 100 albums (not an awful lot, many HiRes though), which took 100 GB on disk, i.e. 50,000 *.exo chunk files. These 50,000 import files on SD card plus the cached files made my DAP really choke - it literally took 10 to 15 minutes to read the directories after booting up. Certain file actions also took an enormous amount of time while using the DAP. Truely unusable! So for the time being I just gave up importing any albums in Qobuz Android. Plus, imagine the time spent on finding the root cause of why my DAP went bananas ...

I am so sorry, but I can't provide any better help to your very considerate questions.

If you decide to be bold and install an older Qobuz App version right over your current one, I would really like to hear what happens.

7 hours ago, alpha Q said:

Hello ! 

I saw that a new version is out for android, v6.1.0.2

Is it safe to update to that? 

I am currently on 5.20.0.1

I tried the 6.0.1.7 but ran into many issues. Downloads were slow, and there are many errors with importing tracks.

Switched back to v5.20.0.1 and everything works fine again, speedy downloads and no errors at all in importing my entire library of playlists. 

I'm running Qobuz on my iBasso DX300.

Hi, I am not 100% fine with 6.1.0.2. I encountered some issues myself. Yes, HiRes does play now. But there are issues left.

Regarding what you encountered with 6.0.1.7: I have to admit I did not test imports or downloads. SO YOUR OBSERVATIONS ARE VERY VALUABLE. May I propose to you to install and test 6.1.0.2 thoroughly and report your findings here. That would be really helpful.

We, @DarginMahkum and myself are in contact with the Qobuz Android team and help by testing and reporting directly. We have pointed their lead developer to this thread in general, and we point out particular reports to them. I already pointed out your post above, and will mention to them further feedback from your side and others.

We need to be aware that HiRes streaming on a DAP is like a niche within a niche, i.e. lossless streaming within all streaming, and DAPs amongst all devices. Thus we DAP users need to raise our voices as loud and clear as possible, with a lot of attitude and focus.

Thank you anyway, @alpha Q, and in particular if you would go ahead and test / report on the current Qobuz Android App version.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, markmosk said:

I have an issue with my android tablet (Lenovo Tab M8). When running USB Audio Player Pro and Qobuz within it, it only sees about 25% of my "Favorites". It will see all the SD/Folders music fine, but only a small pct of the Qobuz titles. When I scroll it hits bottom and re-locates midway somewhere. i thought it was a loading problem, but no matter how long I wait for refresh, still just certain Titles, and the same ones each time. I see them all on my Bluesound Node2. Or on the Qobuz app, w/o USB Audio Player Pro. What could this be? Thanks....

I think this is an issue with UAPP. Please consider reporting it to the UAPP developer, cf. the bug report links from Google Play, or the extreamsd website, or the About infos within the app. Thanks in advance. Actually, this is a good time to report UAPP bugs and issues, since a new version reportedly is under construction.