IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

Will you be opening up a public beta or relying on the invite only private one which Chris is a part of?

On 7/26/2018 at 12:05 PM, David.. Qobuz, Hi-Res Music Evangelist said:

Hi Everyone, Thank you for the interest. We still have a few tasks to complete, but by launch these issues will all be corrected. You're listening to a beta version and you'll even have more features that are available currently.

Stay tuned.

2 hours ago, serendipitydawg said:

Thanks shadowlight! It would appear that it's never too late to learn something new about Windows!

In all the years of using Windows 7 I have never created a shortcut from scratch before.

I now have an icon on the desktop, however when I fire it upthe Qobuz app is sluggish to useless.

Any further ideas anyone?

Right clicking on the desktop shortcut and selecting properties should bring up a window showing the full path to where it is accessing the program.  It will open up to the shortcuts tab but you can also explore permissions from this window.

If that is no help try remaking the link.  Easiest way is right clicking on the program inside the Windows 7 start button program list and selecting send to desktop (or something very similar).

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, David Craff said:

So the next release of our application does not mean there will be launch in USA. Moreover, the launch in the USA will not require a new release. of the application

That is more reassuring than you might appreciate to at least one of us who want Qobuz for Qobuz.  The catalog and sophisticated tastes it reflects, lack of spangles added to please every hard felt sentiment expressed, a proven solid platform that works perfectly well for most of the rest of the 1st world countries. 

I especially appreciate that you don't appear willing to be pushed into rushing the release.  Two months from now when "Indoor Sports Season" starts in earnest.  It might actually be a more appreciated development than it would beginning of next month when everyone is riddled with hype from the shot gun blasts of product release reporting.

4 hours ago, left channel said:

Love the Panoramas. But attention localizers: the Picasso piece includes three untranslated French paragraphs floating in a sea of English.  (I read English and, with some effort, Spanish and Mandarin. It would be fun to learn French, but not today.)

qobuz-picasso.thumb.jpg.1ed2801df8cd5f3177e12fff4a19bfe3.jpg

@David Craff @David.. Qobuz, Hi-Res Music Evangelist

I mean you could just translate it.  Which practically every modern browser does quite easily.

54 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

That's a bit disappointing, does this apple to all Channel Classics files?

Des pommes aux pommes?   :P

@left channel Far from agreeing or disagreeing with your concern.  All I was doing was making light of how much more serious work they are doing in preparation of this big move into the North American market.  Forgive me if you felt this was not taking your contribution seriously. 

Translation is very hard.  Especially into a language as complicated as English.  Particularly when the French aren't located across a short stretch of water.  Or the rest of the Romantic nations it draws so heavily upon bordering it.  Perhaps Qobuz would be open to vetting a few eager contributors directly interested in spot correcting linguistic sore spots.  It may even lead to helping them in the creation of digital liner notes.  An apples to apples likeness to texts being created in other languages for new releases.

3 hours ago, left channel said:

@rando no offense taken, but the thing is localization is also serious work, and in fact should be part and parcel of any global product plan. I don't know how Qobuz got away with these rough translations in the UK market for so long — the British, like Americans, are infamously monolingual — but in a massive market like the USA this can no longer be ignored.

Paris like most global cities is home to a thriving community of translators, localizers, and other globalization professionals, and via the internet Qobuz also has access to outsourcing firms and freelancers around the world. Just a few part-time native speakers hired via proz.com could make all the difference. Machine translation (MT) isn't all the way there yet, and when it comes to cultural and literary topics may never quite get there. For many companies MT is an important part of the process now, as it definitely speeds up release cycles, but human post-editing is still necessary.

A globalization strategy that neglects quality localization is a short-term cost savings choice with potentially long-term financial impact.

I will cede that we have varied opinions of how hands on this hobby is and both have much to consider that doesn't need to cloud this thread further.  I can only hope whatever positive influence music contributes to your life inspires you to distribute it back into outside life.

• 1 month later...

Appreciate your coming here to offer straightforward replies, David.  As you can tell, anticipation was already high without the potential of receiving Qobuz as a Christmas gift.  Though I may be in the (vocal) minority on certain aspects of this release.  Time spent making your service operate as it should from day one is bound to be appreciated by everyone. 

Fully expect you will maintain the conditions of a closed beta.  Though I'm unaware of those under which numerous industry affiliated persons were granted access earlier this year.  The existence of a formal trial launch is reassuring in the utmost.  I'm confident others given towards contemplating what would require this step will view it in a very similar light.  

As @christopher3393 would say, Ah, la vache!

• 2 weeks later...

Official Qobuz issues or issues with Qobuz? 

I see the omission of Sweden as a question which might yield a more insightful answer through personal investigation.  If it were prudent to do so, I'm reasonably sure an answer would have been forthcoming.  I'm sure many of us would be curious to know the answer.  Just not at the expense of delaying the US launch or forcing David into making an ill advised statement.

EU membership does imply a lot of commonality with other member nations.  This lack of service may not be due to a legal concern or expectation placed on foreign businesses.  It also may not be Qobuz simply decided the Swedish market was undesirable at this juncture for any one of an uncountable number of reasons.  One of which might be a rather infamous online digital media distribution company of Swedish origin. 

Conjecture might be better left for another less "Official" thread directly tackling the day's question.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

@David Craff Hopefully the closed beta is going well. I was heartened to see this enacted before entering the market.  All too often NA is sold big promises on a scheme designed to hype consumers into doing QA. That on unfinished products resembles data mining and predatory investment with no intent towards creating anything. My sole opinion is pushing past the largest gift giving holiday before announcing the launch is a welcome sign of maturity and solid belief in value of the service you provide. 

Wishing you and the Qobuz teams on both continents a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, left channel said:

Looks like someone pulled the trigger a day early, and included the existing beta participants by mistake. Oops.

Entirely possible.  Perfectly happy waiting until tomorrow as someone who didn't request access.  By happy I mean it bought me a few more hours to crash learn the art of being humbled by Android and iOS devices.  x-D

1 hour ago, left channel said:

To get the most out of Qobuz on Android, use UAPP. 

To get the most out of Qobuz on Android using UAPP one must get it to recognize and agree to send music to a USB DAC.  This is not a problem related to the topic in here. 

2 hours ago, coot said:

When I first installed Qobuz on my Aurender N100 I was a happy camper. It worked well. Now it seems it will only play for 30 secs. at a time. I am subscribed to Studio. What am I doing wrong?

This sounds like it sees an account but not a streaming plan. 

Log out and back in?  Do a soft reset?  Both?

I trimmed a bit from that post separating the NA Beta, laughable their staff personally vets every track they are adding to the empty spaces, and the well established home office.  The actions of both are bleeding together here. 

I won't go to further lengths defending my suggestion.  At the very least a 10+ album list in one place puts a good amount of information in one place for the NYC staff to view. :)