IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

On 7/27/2018 at 5:15 PM, rickca said:

@David.. Qobuz, Hi-Res Music Evangelist I have been using Qobuz for 3 years now.  I switched from TIDAL and never looked back.  Obviously, I'm very satisfied with Qobuz.

I will want to change my account from France to the USA (let's just say I'm relocating).  Will I need to set up a new USA account and cancel my existing account in France, or is there going to be a smoother way to transition?

Bienvenue aux États Unis, Rick!

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, David.. Qobuz, Hi-Res Music Evangelist said:

Hello everyone, We have several shows we'll be attending. Each has named Qobuz the official hi-res streaming service of the show. Our first will be Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, followed by NY Audio Show and Capital Audiofest in November. Hopefull some of you can make it to one of these shows where we can meet in person.

Hi David, I’ll be at RMAF, so will look forward to meeting you in person.

• 2 weeks later...

I just sent this note to (address removed at request of Qobuz)

Have others seen this kind of issue before?

========

Incorrect format

All of the Mahler albums by Michael Tilson Thomas and the SF Symphony - here is just one example: https://open.qobuz.com/album/0821936001226- are tagged as being in 24/96 high-resolution. However, when I play them back, they come up as Redbook 16/44.1. This is not true of other high-res content that plays just fine.

Also, the following album https://open.qobuz.com/album/7318599922263 is tagged as being 24/96, but only plays back as MP3 320kbps!

Please let me know if these issues can be fixed.
============
3 hours ago, hsmeets said:

Hi David,

One small suggestion:

Qobuz Management should convince the dutch 'Channel Classics' label to allow streaming of their catalog.

As with ECM that would be a great addition.

Thanks,

Huib

+1 for Channel Classics. I’ve also requested 2L.

As for ECM, isn’t it available? I thought I saw Keith Jarrett and Anouar Brahem, but I didn’t try streaming them.

1 hour ago, rodrigaj said:

@austinpop

I totally agree with this.

One of the things I began noticing with Tidal was the increase in 96kbs offerings even as a HIFI subscriber. No indication prior to playing that you were getting such low quality streaming. Podger on Channel Classics was definitely one of those offerings.

I suppose one can argue that listening to the whole recording at 96kbs is better than a 30 sec sample, so in this respect Tidal is better than Qobuz.

27 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This is really lame. As @austinpop pointed out, playing mp3 and only a snippet of the tracks. Just tell me I can't stream the album.

@David.. Qobuz, Hi-Res Music Evangelist Please help on this one. It was a Tidal favorite, that came over when I used Soundiiz. Soundiiz said it had a match so I thought oh cool. Now I go to play it and it not only says High Resolution, but I can't even play it because only 30 second snippets are allowed and they are mp3 as well. Bait and switch. Not cool, but I'm not up in arms or leaving the service. Just something that is annoying.

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 12.33.06 PM.png

Guys, let’s let Qobuz offer up an explanation and a resolution, if any. From what I can tell, it appears their UI reflects what’s available to buy, not necessarily what’s available to stream.

My hope is that their plans for US launch also include improvements to their platform and business model. After all, that’s why they have hired folks like @David.. Qobuz, Hi-Res Music Evangelist

I’m ready to give them the benefit of the doubt. For now.

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

There are three versions of 1989 available (see screenshot). The high resolution version is the one Soudiiz favorited, but that's the only one that won't stream of the three. Not the end of the world, the high res is only 24/44.1 and I'd be shocked if anything close to 16 bits of dynamic range is used on this recording. Plus, now I know to check for this if it happens again.

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 4.41.09 PM.png

Only 16 bits of dynamic range?! What are we ... in 1989?

oh wait... :D 

23 minutes ago, David.. Qobuz, Hi-Res Music Evangelist said:

Hi everyone, I wanted to let you know that I'll be out of the office all next week at CEDIA. If I'm a little slow on the uptake, please forgive. 

Hi David,

The big open question from me, Chris, and several others here - that you have not addressed - is the "incorrect" labeling of albums as "Hi-Res," when it turns out the stream content is not - either it is Redbook, or in some cases, just samples.

I say "incorrect" in quotes because perhaps this is a difference in perspective between us, streaming users, and say, download buyers. It appears in the cases cited, the content was indeed purchasable in high-res, just not enabled for streaming.

I understand the business forces that drive these - the question for you, and Qobuz, as you poise for launch in the US is this - what do you guys plan to do about this?

My perspective - I suspect it is shared by many potential subscribers - is that the content should accurately reflect what is streamable. An even better option would be to show both - the highest streamable format, and the highest purchasable format.

It sounds like you are swamped. I am hoping that you and Chris @The Computer Audiophile will have a chance to discuss this in person at Cedia. Chris, please update us. :) 

1 minute ago, mourip said:

Wow. I now really feel lazy. Thanks so much for that. The Everest group looks really great.

Hey no worries. I wasn’t trying to diss you. I’m exploring anyway, so it’s nice to have suggestions for something to search!

I assumed you were asking because you don’t already have access. Or do you? If the latter, then yeah, lazy! ;) :D 

15 minutes ago, mourip said:

I have access now but I am stumbling a bit with learning the interface. The library is so vast that it is a bit daunting so I am working on searching and creating playlists.

I did a search on "Everest Records" and my jaw dropped. About 150 albums. Any idea how to add multiple albums to a playlist without adding one by one? I tried to lasso them and add as a group but that did not work...

This is where the UI is lacking... but true of Tidal too. I don’t know the answer to your question about group add to playlists.

But even if that were easy, the playlist view doesn’t show albums, only tracks.

What would be nice is a way to group favorite albums into collections.

Once Roon integration happens, one can add to library, and then maybe use tags and the “focus” option to create and collections.

2 hours ago, EuroChamp said:

RCA Living Stereo: No Analogue Production SACDs - correct.

They are 24/88. It should be a DSD>PCM rip from the SONY SACDs. Qobuz writes: Sony Classical Originals.

You make me curious. I am on a business trip now, but will compare and report when I am back home. I think I should have all of the existing digital versions ? including AP.

To be fair to Qobuz, I really do wonder what is reasonable to expect from a streaming service. Many older recordings, especially classic or iconic titles, have had multiple remasters and rereleases, both in Redbook and high-resolution. Then you have the Specialty labels like MFSL, AP, the Japanese SHM-CD and SHM-SACDs, ... the list goes on.

Ideally I'd like Qobuz to offer all variants of a recording, even if it means many versions, but I'm not sure that's realistic or even reasonable. The way I see it, if you really like a recording that much, then you'll buy the special, super-duper remaster anyway.

What I would love to see for sure from Qobuz is streaming of DSD content - like the aforementioned Analogue Production or Mercury Living Presence SACDs.

A guy can dream.

1 hour ago, David Craff said:

Hi,

Thanks for this feedback, I will think of this to add a filter for Hi-Res result only.

Can you explain me the different result between Desktop and Mobile APP ?

Regards

David,

Are you with Qobuz? If so, I'm glad you're responding to this feedback, and considering a filter for Hi-res.

Thanks.

Hi,

Yes I'm from Qobuz.

I will think how we can add an Hi-Res filter. This can be possible on search result.

Hi David,

Thanks very much for considering this. It will be a very useful feature. I should also point out that the app on Windows and Mac is somewhat inconsistent on allowing sorting of album results. Here is an example of when I click on the label "BIS," which hyperlinks to this view:

image.thumb.png.5ae9f8bef99b7f3f15c274e733fe6d82.png

Notice there is no way to sort or filter this list. However, when I select an artist, that album list is sortable:

image.thumb.png.bdc61d20e329fb1daf8bebdee14e6682.png

Let us know how you would like us to identify these kinds of little inconsistencies. I realize this may not be your area of responsibility, so just let us know how to send input like this to Qobuz.

Kind regards.

2 hours ago, shadowlight said:

Stupid user question.  I cannot seem to figure out how to sort the search results.

Not a stupid question, but a great one!

There does not appear to be a way to sort search results. This is the context of the feature request I made to @David Craff earlier. It would be really helpful to have sort and filter controls whenever results are displayed. This could be either due to search, or when navigating (for example, a list of albums in a genre), or when clicking a hyperlink (for example, a label).

Sort:

• by artist
  • by date
  • by genre
  • by album/track name (depends on the context of the list)

Filter - the ability to constrain results where:

• format is Hi-Res/CD/MP3
  • artist/album/genre/label = "something"

I'm sure the list above is incomplete, but you get the idea.

I have no preference, I try to find the best compromise for users. We may add this feature but we have to do it intelligently.

It should not be forgotten that Qobuz is also a platform for buying dematerialized music and that the rights to listen to an album are at the discretion of the rights holders (Label, Major, Artist...). We therefore have to juggle the expectations of our customers (with multiple profiles) and the issues related to this sector. 

Hi David,

Yes, I recognize this is a balancing act. Do you have a sense for how much of your customer base is (or will be) purchase-only? Compared to streaming-only and streaming+purchase? Since all the (Qo) buzz ;) in the media and audio press has been on the streaming service, I sorta assumed that was your primary customer set.

All that aside, this should be a non issue. Why not just enhance the display on the UI of the app? Take this example:

Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 10.50.16 AM.png

Where it says: "Available in Hi-Res Audio," why not add a modifier like this:

1. for Purchase only
  2. for Streaming and Purchase
  3. for Streaming only - I doubt this is ever true, but included for completeness.

Your thoughts?

3 hours ago, David Craff said:

Hi,

It is not easy to compare customers on a subscription with customers on a purchase. This varies from one country to another but overall we are not far from a 50/50 ratio. Sometime a country have more streaming customers and another buyers customers.

Regarding your proposal on the display of hi-res information, this is a work in progress. We are updating our API to get this information and display it on our app.

Wow, I’m surprised that ratio is so high! I'm assuming purchase customers would be those who registered on the site, but never subscribed to a streaming plan? I guess only a fraction of these ever make a purchase, and many are just dormant.

Anyway, that’s a moot point if we can get the hi-res display to be clear.

Regarding the API, thanks for looking into it. I hope you can make it happen.