IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

15 hours ago, David.. Qobuz, Hi-Res Music Evangelist said:

Very true, but we're not close to finishing getting more hi-res files or getting the proper agreements for rights to stream hi-res files. A task that will never end.

Hi David,

I am looking forward to the US launch and have a question. I use JRiver Media Center on my music server to play through the Dante Virtual Soundcard driver out via my ethernet adapter to my Focusrite Rednet ethernet to AES converter. I am extremely happy with the sound quality and so am hesitant to change this configuration. Do you think that it is possible that you might consider partnering with JRiver?

To others reading here: Have any of you using a Dante based system been able to get Qobuz working on your music server directly via the Dante Virtual Soundcard (DVS)?

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

1 hour ago, Cebolla said:

Have you approached JRiver to see if they'll consider providing direct access to Qobuz from the JRiver Media Center via a redesign? The Qobuz Application Programming Interface is already available for this purpose:

Qobuz official API documentation

For now, you should be able to get able to get your JRiver Media Center to play Qobuz's audio file tracks by using its built-in UPnP/DLNA renderer and so use its playback engine to output the audio to the Dante Virtual Soundcard driver, using one or more of the UPnP supporting applications that provide access to Qobuz.

Are you running JMC with the Dante Virtual Soundcard on a Windows or Mac machine?

Are you using a remote control app for JRiver (eg JRemote) on a handheld device with this setup and if so what is the handheld device?

Thanks for the reply. I have not approached JRMC yet but that is a good suggestion. However from reading previous conversations online they do not seem very inclined to play with others and also seem to have now tentatively dipped their toes into online streaming themselves.

I use Win2012 R2 and control it from my iPhone using JRemote. Works really well. Sometimes I also use RDP to the server.

Another option is for me to use USB out from my server but that would require some manual switching on either my DAC or my Mutec 3+ USB to switch away from AES. Plus I have found Dante to be a lot better sounding than the USB implementations I have tried.

System

Wish List.

1. Apple CarPlay integration.

2. Addition of "Golden Age of Stereo" 50's and 60's Classical titles from RCA. Mercury, Everest, Decca, Melodiya, EMI

3. Integration with JRiver Media Center ecosystem.

4. Native IOS/Android remote app to directly control Qobuz app running on Win/OSX music server.

One can dream ?

System

14 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Some dreams could already have come true! Regarding this:

Some of these are already available. 

RCA:

Very broad, I assume you RCA Living Stereo, like this one?

1335517850_ScreenShot2018-09-04at12_10_08PM.thumb.png.1ef317f3c16790642afd49f380c16275.png

If so, clearly some are available, but of course this gets complicated once you get into specific remasters - for example the Analogue Production SACDs of these iconic recordings. These don't appear to be those, but hard to say. 

Mercury:

I'm assuming you mean Mercury Living Presence, like this one?

1906096671_ScreenShot2018-09-04at12_05_41PM.thumb.png.d3447be87fd75e2d800cd7137f463f34.png

The above is hi-res, but sadly this one is not:

1197475232_ScreenShot2018-09-04at12_06_26PM.thumb.png.dda2f5bd2dab178abaa8041cf0bbeedb.png

Also, you'll note these are categorized under Decca Music Group Ltd. Not sure why, but assuming Mercury Living Presence is under their umbrella. Again, Qobuz is only good up to a point, but once you get into specialized remasters, I think that's very hard to isolate.

Decca:

Again, this is too broad, but I do see a lot of great Decca recordings in hi-res, though not specifically from the golden age. This one is a personal treasure of mine, so I'm elated to see it here:

1590104464_ScreenShot2018-09-04at12_00_39PM.thumb.png.d6033e85f27027af692a913a8f1709c4.png

Everest Master Tapes

Here, there is genuine cause for celebration. I can't say they're all there, but a lot of great stuff!

687193797_ScreenShot2018-09-04at12_01_30PM.thumb.png.58842d9f513881d2376642da54423a17.png

Finally, not sure of Melodiya and EMI. 

If you have a few (say 5) titles you want me to check, just let me know. I'm still exploring - kid in candy store mode!

Wow. I now really feel lazy. Thanks so much for that. The Everest group looks really great.

System

I have access now but I am stumbling a bit with learning the interface. The library is so vast that it is a bit daunting so I am working on searching and creating playlists.

I did a search on "Everest Records" and my jaw dropped. About 150 albums. Any idea how to add multiple albums to a playlist without adding one by one? I tried to lasso them and add as a group but that did not work...

System

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

This is where the UI is lacking... but true of Tidal too. I don’t know the answer to your question about group add to playlists.

But even if that were easy, the playlist view doesn’t show albums, only tracks.

What would be nice is a way to group favorite albums into collections.

Once Roon integration happens, one can add to library, and then maybe use tags and the “focus” option to create and collections.

Prompt for David - God of Qobuz!

Request for collections by Album and the ability to Add multiple albums at the same time.

The number of older Classical stereo albums is absolutely great BTW. Especially Everest and Melodiya...

System

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

This is where the UI is lacking... but true of Tidal too. I don’t know the answer to your question about group add to playlists.

But even if that were easy, the playlist view doesn’t show albums, only tracks.

What would be nice is a way to group favorite albums into collections.

Once Roon integration happens, one can add to library, and then maybe use tags and the “focus” option to create and collections.

I can return the favor here. When viewing a playlist under "My Playlists" there are a couple of icons in the upper right corner that do give you good options.

1. file view

2. Album view with track names

3. Cover view.

image.thumb.png.a1510ad4aaa39211af4d0af3e409710b.png

image.thumb.png.5801fcce2901b86deed551a42b4e0341.png

System

This week I spent many hours wiggling my toes in the vast and deep pool of Qobuz. The Hi-Res sounds excellent but then so do the well recorded, great performances of RedBook.

I have a couple of questions that I did not see the answers to on the web site. Does anyone know what the limitations are for usage? Is it limited to one stream on one device at a time per user login? Is it limited to one household or family or person? It does not seem to be limited to installation on a single device.

Just checking.

System

1 hour ago, David Craff said:

In the playlist page, change the display mode for Album + Tracks (top right of track playlist)

Scroll to the album you want to delete and select the track with CTRL or COMMAND or with SHIFT from the first to the last track you want to delete, then right clic on the selected track and "Remove track from the playlist".

I need to add this option in the album view when you click one the "..." of an album.

Regards

The deletion method you described works great. Being able to choose it from the album view would be even faster as you mentioned.

Thanks for being here and being open to feedback...

System

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, David Craff said:

Hi,

We have made updates to our servers that have resulted in some disruption. You should not have any more problems now.

Thanks David. I figured it was something like that. As I was coincidentally installing it on my new OS I was a bit confused. Even a more informative popup message would have been better. Perhaps "Oops. Our server ate some bad hay"? 

"Error 500" could have meant anything and even consulting the Universal Source of Truth(Googling) did not help.

BTW. I would be interested in knowing how your business divides between streaming and purchases also. Having dipped my toe into the QB pool I feel very little inclination to buy files now. I hope to combine it with Roon for a One Stop Shop...

That all said I love Qobuz and am looking forward to it's release here in the US.

Best,

Paul

System

More of a feature request than an issue: How about adding the ability to copy text into the search box by "right clicking". It does work with ctrl + V. Obviously not earth shaking or show stopper. Just a refinement.

While we are at it, how about a QB sponsored forum? Right now this thread has expanded a bit to enfold all things QB...

System

4 minutes ago, David Craff said:

Hi,

I guess you're talking about a right click on a track. We already have actions on the right click. We can eventually look for one more option such as "search this track".  I will study this.

How does sponsored forum work ?

Thanks for the reply. I was actually talking about the "Search" box in the upper right corner of the application that lets you find new/desired material. I often go the the thread here on CA where members post their musical favorites. It would be nice to be able to copy a composers/performers/conductors name and just right click inside the QB search box, get a context menu, and choose "paste". It does work with "CTRL + V" but the other method is a bit faster. This is a wish, not a need!

You would speak to Chris the CA admin/founder regarding starting a vendor supported forum.

System

5 hours ago, David Craff said:

As I answer before this display of Hi-Res button is in progress to differentiate Streaming with Download.

May not appear in the news release because the modification framework is closed.

"News release"? "Modification framework closed"?

Do I sniff an impending US go-live?

System

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently been experimenting a bit with my playback software. Up to now I have had good results with JRiver running on Win2012 R2. I use ASIO via Dante(DVS) for playback. I run my server as headless and rely on JMRC's excellent remote app running on IOS.

That has all changed now for the better but with some limitations. I am now using both Roon and Qobuz running on Win2016 server. The good news is that Roon on 2016 sounds better than JMRC on Win2012 and Qobuz has opened up a wonderful candy jar of new music to try with SQ that is very high. The bad news is that I cannot have both Roon Server and Qobuz running at the same time as ASIO runs in "exclusive mode" and so only wants to service one app at a time. If Roon Server is running then Qobuz will give me an error that the output is "already in use". Add to this that Qobuz has no "server mode" with it's own remote app. This means that I must use RDP on my laptop to control it with Roon Server unloaded.

My perfect world is to have the hinted at integration of Qobuz with Roon but so far that seems to be receding beyond the horizon. So my ask is can anyone think of a work-around other than what I am already doing? It looks like Audirvana+ now integrates both Roon and Qobuz in a new Windows version but it only supports Win10, with attempts to use Win2016 having failed.

System

2 hours ago, Cebolla said:

You could try JRiver (or another ASIO supporting audio file player with a much smaller footprint, such foobar2000) set up as a UPnP/DLNA renderer, with a third party method of streaming from Qobuz.

For example, the BubbleUPnP Server helper software, configured to create an OpenHome renderer for the UPnP renderer, would allow you to stream from Qobuz using a Qobuz supporting OpenHome controller such as the Linn Kazoo iOS app.

Or,  much less complicated with no need for OpenHome/the BubbleUPnP Server and so more direct - just use a Qobuz supporting standard UPnP/DLNA controller iOS app, such as mConnect Player (free Lite version available).

Thanks for the input. I thought that Qobuz had started to support DNLA but then withdrew it. When I first started using QB it showed DNLA available through JRiver which I still had running on my server but then that QB option soon disappeared. I tried it briefly but did not think that it sounded as good. I like the KISS school of audio where music is stored locally and the application plays through the local output. I do like remote control of the app which Roon does give me. I uninstalled JMRC when I recently moved to Windows Server 2016 and signed up for a year of Roon.

I used Foobar about 10 years ago but switched to JRiver due to sound quality and much friendlier user interface. I have now started using Roon and on my setup find it's sound quality to exceed JRiver . For now I think that I will just rely on RDP for Qobuz and keep my fingers crossed for Roon integration. On my system Roon sounds better than Qobuz so I am looking forward to hearing what Qobuz sounds like through Roon's audio engine. Having said that, Qobuz still sounds very good and having that giant candy jar of unexplored music is wonderful.

Thanks again...

System

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Jim Sylva said:

Do you run Roon Core and JMRC on the same machine? I would like to do so, but from what I have read, my wonderful C.A.P.S. 2.0 is not up to the task. Can anyone recommend a replacement server that can handle both applications?

Once I started using Roon I dropped JMRC as the SQ was better with Roon and I am anticipating Qobuz integration.

System