IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

I'm still trying to figure out what this means???

S&V: What differentiates Qobuz from other music providers, especially Tidal?
DS: Qobuz, is more like Apple Music, if it were high-resolution. You can stream and download music. Unlike Apple and Tidal, Qobuz will be the first streaming platform in North America that offers true high-resolution music, up to 24/192. There’s no need for a special DAC or server. Qobuz “unfolds” resolutions from 16/44 to 24/192 on any computer or capable device from FLAC files.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

17 hours ago, David.. Qobuz, Hi-Res Music Evangelist said:

Hi Sal, Let me clarify.

It's like Apple in that you can download music that you can purchase on our site. If you belong to the top tier, it will cost about the same as an mp3 from Apple. 

With Tidal, you can offline only to your phone. With Qobuz, you can also offline anything on the site to your computer at the resolution on the site. When I say "true" resolution, there is no special encoding/decoding process other than rendering a FLAC file, so any DAC that will resolve 24/192 can playback in full resolution on any device that can do the same. 

All of the music is in FLAC, so when you play tracks, you get a full, bit-perfect recording. 

Hope this helps. 

Yes that clears it up for me,  thank you very much for the personal reply!

I'm on Spotify now, always refused to do business with the punk gangster ownership of Tidal. I'll probably switch over to you after the US rollout. Hoping many Tidal customers do the same. Good luck.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

21 hours ago, Sevenfeet said:

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Read what semente wrote in this post for a general idea of how I feel about supporting that convicted felon and his other little crew of gang associated "business partners".. 

• 3 weeks later...

Has it been mentioned here before but what will be the pricing tiers here in the US?

On 9/20/2018 at 12:31 PM, firedog said:

According to Sound & Vision who appear to have visited the Qobuz booth at CES, the pricing will be the same in the US vs the UK/EU, but in dollars instead of pounds/euros. In other words:

• Premium (MP3 320 kbps), $9.99/month or $99.99/year.
  • Hi-Fi (16-bit/44.1 kHz), $19.99/month or $199.99/year.
  • Sublime (Hi-Fi + downloads of Hi-Res 24-bit at MP3 prices), $219.99/year.
  • Sublime+ (Hi-Res 24-bit FLAC up to 192 kHz + up to 60% discount on a large part of the download catalog), $349.99/year.

The discounts for buying hi-res downloads in the Sublime tiers is pretty worthwhile. You can make up the extra charge with  a relatively modest number of download purchases. 

Thanks firedog! Looks to be the same streaming pricing as all the rest. Hoping competition pressure would make for some price lowering.

As to the download levels personally I would pass. Don't buy any hires downloads any more unless they are the result of a positive remastering from the likes of Hoffman, Wilson, etc. I've found little of the classic rock/country genre I listen to, to have any value from high data rate upsampling.  If I have the desire to own something now I'll usually just look to purchase a used CD off ebay, rip it, then pass it on.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, mourip said:

So far I am so tied up listening to new material that it could be years before I circle back to my old favorites ?

That's what happens when you first start streaming.  ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Any new word on a US launch date?

Maybe for Christmas?

• 1 month later...

Yo Mr Qobuz.

How about considering a 5.1 lossless stream for us multich guys?

TIA

22 hours ago, Jud said:

As a Mennonite furniture maker I spoke to once said with a smile, "More changes get more money."   :) 

Similar to our favorite among custom car/motorcycle builders.

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go? 

No problem for lawyers in any case, they got plenty. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, David Craff said:

We already offer 5.1 feeds but they are quite rare https://open.qobuz.com/album/3149020215661

WOW, Thanks for that reply David!  Great to hear you guys are already looking at multich. There's a ton multich music out there in classical and a small group in rock/jazz.  Hope to see your catalog grow over time!

9 hours ago, David Craff said:

Our objective is to be able to broadcast Qobuz on all types of audio outputs, whether directly or via a network connection

Your just full of good news today!!  I'd love to be able to connect to my Marantz PrePro the way I do with Spotify Connect. It's such a wonderful feature to be able to launch Spotify in any room in the house and play it over my system based in the media room.

Very much looking forward to the US launch.

16 hours ago, bobbmd said:

Dan Mackta telling me I am in the next batch of BETA subscribers

Dang, there will be another Beta release.  😡

I was hoping we'd soon have a full public release.  :(

Don't understand what takes so long to offer a stream to the US that is already going out to much of the world?

On 1/22/2019 at 3:44 PM, left channel said:

Well, among many things: entirely different licensing rights, app content localization, local servers/network configuration, and local staffing. I have run companies in more than one country, and I have managed global product launches. Never again. 🙂

I believe it's more a legal issue than anything,  Technically, sites and files are transferred around the globe on a massive scale.

But it will be when it will be I guess.

Thanks Jud,  That had me scratching my head as many answered like they understood what David was talking about.  LOL

On 1/24/2019 at 12:50 PM, Jud said:

Hi David - 

Just to avoid any future confusion (or possibly auto-"correct" errors) :) :

- Gender is male or female.

- Genre (no accent on the final e for us English speakers) is classical, blues, rock, etc.

On 1/24/2019 at 1:24 PM, David Craff said:

My bad, sorry

8 minutes ago, Jud said:

Well, I believe in fact the word "gender" in English does come from "genre," so not odd that one would translate to the other.

Well in a post OBama world, the definition of gender has been badly blurred  in any case, you never can be sure.  🤣

• 2 weeks later...

Funny,  Dion's  latest album from 2-2016, New York Is My Home,  isn't available?

Been listening to it for quite a while now on Spotify?

On 2/3/2019 at 2:01 PM, Jud said:

I don't see it yet either, Sal.

I've got a thread to collect these, though pre-launch it's probably a little early.

What's funny is that it was there about a week back.  Before I could get my account problems finalized it allowed me to listen to the first 30 seconds of a track, etc. At that time I added it to my favorites list. Days later my account got finalized it's gone.  I click on the album in my favs and it gives a 404 error  LOL

Screenshot at 2019-02-06 13-51-09.png

Would really like to see a native Linux build of the app like we have for Spotify.

TIA

20 minutes ago, Jud said:

This allows the Qobuz Web Player to work in Linux.

Web player runs in Firefox-Linux with little issue.

The Qobuz catalog has a way to go before being competitive with Spotify.  I've bumped into a couple of well known popular artists albums that are missing and the US Country music catalog seems limited. Time will round it out I'm sure, hopefully sooner that later.

The first week of my beta demo I was having some serious problems with lockups, both with the webplayer and the Windoz app. These issues seems to have disappeared over the last week?

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

OK for now.  Hoping things will iron out over time.

Kal,  What is the  data path your using to get proper multich streaming functioning?

I'm using the Wn 10 app, have the Studio level service, using HDMI feed directly into my Marantz 7703 PrePro via wasapi (exculsive mode).

While playing back one of the 5.1 albums, PrePro is reporting a Multi Ch In source but I only seem to get sound from the L & R front channels? My first shot at playing any 5.1 files off the PC.   Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

TIA

1 hour ago, thyname said:

Not having Metal as a genre is really bad decision

Their county catalog isn't real strong either. Seems their focus is on classical.

I

6 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

My setup is using Qobuz within Roon because Qobuz has issues with the exaSound USB driver and will not let me use the e38 by USB.  

I have not tried HDMI but I have a new gadget that might enable me to try it.

I now notice the little box at the bottom reports the stream as 24/192 Stereo or whatever that album's speed. Clicking on that box reports the various speed streams available but nothing of 5.1.  Does yours show a 5.1 option there?

5.1_LI.jpg

6 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

That box does not appear when using Qobuz within Roon and that is the only way that I have accessed/played multichannel.

Thanks Kal.

At this point doesn't seem to be much content in any case. Can't find any web info on the multich streaming,  guess I'll just keep my eyes open. At this point the 5.1 content would be the main reason I'd switch from Spotify for now.

18 hours ago, Paul R said:

Hi Kal - probably a bit of dumb question, but multi-channel audio streams all the time with video. Isn't anyone thinking of riding on Netflix or something to stream the audio? 

I mean, it seems logical. The Netflix subscriber base would (probably) have a much larger base of listeners able to stream multi-channel... ?

I can't believe someone has not put that together and started Qobuz on Netflix. Soundtracks are Us? 

13 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

That idea was raised at the RMAF multichannel seminar and was well received.  Someone needs to run with it.

Remember that the multich streaming done on Netflix is done in highly compressed Dolby Digital Plus format. Supposedly capable of doing up to 7.1 channels but I'm not aware of anything beyond 5.1 at this time. Since I haven't been successful in getting Qobuz 5.1 working here, I have no idea what the available datarate is.  Maybe Kal knows, I can't find any documentation on Qobuz 5.1 at all.

@David Craff  maybe you can get someone to supply some technical details on 5.1 and what gear/path is required for proper playback.

TIA

3 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Yes, using ROON or Audirvana+3, you will need a 5-8 channel DAC to get your analog signals.  The least expensive one that I have used is the miniDSP U-DAC8.

If you get a chance, could you check ROON/Audirana 5.1 over HDMI into your Marantz 8805 or whatever AVR your working with now.

If that's even possible? ;)

TIA