IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

Something I would like very much . . . the ability to make folders of favorite albums. If the idea is that a streaming service is to replace, to some degree, one's own library, there is a definite need to be able to add some organization to albums one would like to listen to again. I imagine that after using Qobuz for years I will have hundreds, if not thousands of them.

• 4 weeks later...

David,

I was hoping for an answer to -- even better, action on -- my request that one be provided some way to catalog the haystack of "favorite" releases (albums). An ideal way would be to allow virtual folders or subfolders. I can see making folders for "To listen" as well as various genres that I enjoy. I find the current system quite user-unfriendly.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Miska said:

Problem with "information architect", or something one could call "designed by a committee" is something that is in fact unworkable in practice because the ones who designed never had to implement or apply it to harsh reality. That has been seen in some IETF and other standards before.

Exactly why it needs to be done by a professional cataloger, a specialty of library science. Cataloging is, for the most part, a solved problem!  But the solution was not by Apple (who decided to identify each track by an "Artist"), but by professional librarians.

Librarians apply established principles to new problems to solve the basic issue of cataloging: How can I label this thing so that it can be found again?

Of course, there is significant cost to do cataloging optimally, and it might be too much for outfits like Q and T.  I suspect, though, that since cataloging is being done anyway, it could be done way better with a little more thought applied to the problem.

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Polyglot said:

First page search results for the term 'Schobert'. Not a single relevant hit on Qobuz.

I was going to suggest you search on "Johann Schobert", until I tried it. Not good. Is there repertoire there that is not being found, to you think, or does Qobuz just not have the material?

12 hours ago, Jud said:

This (assuming I was searching for Schubert) didn't happen with my search when I typed Schobert. Are you sure it wasn't just an auto-complete function? 

It wasn't auto-complete. One or two of the items shown had pieces by various composers including Schobert, most were Schubert. 

• 3 months later...

I was quite enthusiastic about Qobuz at first. It's nice to have HR files without dealing with MQA.

Yet, the US catalog still is far behind other services. Time and time again, I look for something out of the mainstream and find it's not there. Each time, I've found it on Amazon HD. This is discouraging, given the promises made by Qobuz that its US catalog was going to expand rapidly to become competitive with other services.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2019 at 4:47 PM, Polyglot said:

The complete Haydn string quartets by the Festetics Quartet on Arcana─my favorite rendering of these masterpieces─is missing from Qobuz U.S. but available on both Tidal and Spotify U.S., and of course Qobuz France.

Yes, I would like to see this, too. Only 6 (of Haydn's 84) are available, unless I've missed something.

An issue with cataloging is that some of their recordings are under "Festetics Quartet" and others under "Quatuor Festetics." This is a general issue I've noticed for ensembles with non-English names, such as quartets and orchestras.

• 2 months later...

My issue is that I still have not received the promised refund for the unused part of my high-priced subscription to Qobuz (after I re-subscribed at the lower price), despite several emails to customer service. Has any user received the promised refund? The lack of any reasonable answer to my questions is beginning to feel like a scam.

• 4 months later...
23 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I can't say it's been that wild or that hard to get DLNA/UPnP to work. It's always been very easy and very reliable. Our new Sonore endPoint is DLNA/UPnP and I have zero concern about it and know it will have minimal support.   

I appreciate your saying that. I use products at price points ranging from an Auralic Aries G1 to a Raspberry Pi, and they all work reliably with DLNA. None of the software I use is expensive; from free apps such as Volumio to JRiver at about $60. All handle it fine. JRiver has done that since before I started using it, about 8 years ago. MinimServer (which was free for many years), also.

@The Computer Audiophile, I understand that companies complain, but companies that have had trouble with something new might just blame it on on someone else. "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars / but in ourselves...."

It is clear, as @Ran pointed out, that some firms try to get into streaming with neither a real understanding of it nor a willingness to commit adequate resources. They wind up using DBD (defective by design) chipsets like those chosen by brands "P" and "C", not testing them adequately, and selling expensive products that don't work right. I am not sure that implementing streaming need be terribly costly, but I am sure it demands attention to detail. If companies can do listening tests on each resistor (as some claim to do), surely they can accomplish working DLNA. How the hell can a high-end company sell a product that doesn't do gapless playback and call it "state of the art" (as company "P" did)? The only answer is sloppiness and ignorance of the real issues involved.

Thanks to @Cebolla  among others for pointing out that the delay by Qobuz may relate to security, rather than audio technology.

7 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

All your stuff works well because JRiver has a software team that has worked on DLNA for 17 years.

I call it "concern for quality" and "knowing what you're doing." Not just JRiver, but the majority of other firms have been able to do it right. Only a few have been doing audio streaming as long as JRiver.

Selling something that doesn't work, I call "sloppiness" and "hiding your head in the sand."

Would you excuse a bad power amp by saying design is difficult? I don't think there is anything in life that is easy to do right. I thought high-end audio was about doing it right, not taking the easy path and then complaining it was too hard.

Honestly, Chris, I have a LOT of respect for your contributions, and I am surprised to see you taking this tack.

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I think we agree on all of that. 

The discussion started by me saying DLNA is hard because it's a nonstandard standard and hardware manufacturers don't all follow the rules. I'm not giving them a pass. I'm saying it will be a huge uphill battle for the tiny Qobuz team to do it right and to maintain it. 

Maybe the approach could be to support the devices that do follow the rules. Others can come later, if ever.