IGNORED

Chords New M -Scaler

11 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I only see the true value of HMS as a companion to the H2, TT2, and DAVE DACs.

+ Qutest

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

2 hours ago, ecwl said:

I think system synergy sometimes matters more. With class D amplifiers, the switching frequencies are usually in the 400-1000kHz range. If DAVE's transient timing is more accurate because of the upsampling to 768kHz 24-bit, that transient timing accuracy is going to be slightly lost due to switching frequencies of the class D amplifiers.

Transient response doesn't have anything to do with the amps switching frequency themselves - see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vsOugSsANs for a good explanation on that matter.   

Output sampling frequency doesn't collide with the amp's switching frequency - otherwise I wouldn't hear much difference with the T+A running at 24.6mhz which ofcourse would enable an even faster rise-and-fall response than 768khz PCM.  I run it in poly-sync-xtr-2s , which is 2m+ taps, might be 4m who knows?  

It's hard to describe fully but under very complex musical pieces, the T+A in DSD 512 mode had an eerie stability, poise and coherence the DAVE couldn't quite match.  

Like I said - I was genuinely up for changing to the DAVE to really simplify things - really wanted to like it.

35 minutes ago, ecwl said:

I have to admit for high-end DACs I can almost always tell the difference between Toslink (more jitter) compared to S/PDIF sources except with my Chord DACs (DAVE and Mojo).

That's interesting as I found the DAVE really RF sensitive.  If I plugged in a USB feed straight from the motherboard's USB socket, I'd get a grainy treble response.  Much smoother (albeit searing on transient impacts) when fed through a dedicated USB card.

10 minutes ago, firedog said:

I guess you don't bake much. Lots of good cake recipes use vinegar or other similar tasting ingredients. It's all in the taste you get in the end from the combination of ingredients.

You can still predict something about the result just looking at the recipe. Things have known tastes that combine in known ways. In electronics, components behave in predictable ways. It is not necessary to listen to everything in order get some idea of how it might sound, especially when the question is simply whether or not a specific change will make an audible difference. It's how things are designed. Or did you think people like Rob Watts wire together a bunch of parts at random until they chance upon something that works?

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

So bottom line, while you could get HMS upsampling to 192kHz to most DACs, that only gives you access to 1/4 million taps.

Why can't the full filter length be used with lower output rates? That should be easier, not harder.

2 hours ago, ecwl said:

I think system synergy sometimes matters more. With class D amplifiers, the switching frequencies are usually in the 400-1000kHz range. If DAVE's transient timing is more accurate because of the upsampling to 768kHz 24-bit, that transient timing accuracy is going to be slightly lost due to switching frequencies of the class D amplifiers.

That point of view is well known to be nonsense.  Rise time of any decent class D amplifier well outstrips what is possible from the loudspeaker.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

30 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Transient response doesn't have anything to do with the amps switching frequency themselves - see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vsOugSsANs for a good explanation on that matter.   

Output sampling frequency doesn't collide with the amp's switching frequency - otherwise I wouldn't hear much difference with the T+A running at 24.6mhz which ofcourse would enable an even faster rise-and-fall response than 768khz PCM.  I run it in poly-sync-xtr-2s , which is 2m+ taps, might be 4m who knows?  

It's hard to describe fully but under very complex musical pieces, the T+A in DSD 512 mode had an eerie stability, poise and coherence the DAVE couldn't quite match.  

Like I said - I was genuinely up for changing to the DAVE to really simplify things - really wanted to like it.

Yes and no but for a different line of reasoning... E.g., class D amp has certain challenges if the rate of its pulses cannot provide transient accuracy you are trying to achieve...

This is one of the issues Chord intends to tackle with their future "digital" amps -- combine DAC+Amp technology stacks so you don't have a traditional class D amp nor pay the inefficiency for a pure A/B design.  But that's still futures for now, though it does inform the roadmap thinking into which MScaler fits.

9 minutes ago, mansr said:

Why can't the full filter length be used with lower output rates? That should be easier, not harder.

Latency... instead of ~0.65 secs, it becomes ~1.3 secs to do 1MM at 384....

But practically, probably bec as this is hardware (on FPGA), you would need to make a major fork in your circuit, test that, etc... and since the FPGA is already filled, this means adding another loader, requiring a cold boot of the chip to switch output rates, etc.....

Deleted - though it's a quote from this thread, I think it is probably off the M-Scaler topic. 

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

You can still predict something about the result just looking at the recipe. Things have known tastes that combine in known ways. In electronics, components behave in predictable ways. It is not necessary to listen to everything in order get some idea of how it might sound, especially when the question is simply whether or not a specific change will make an audible difference. It's how things are designed. Or did you think people like Rob Watts wire together a bunch of parts at random until they chance upon something that works?

Wow. You made the silly and incorrect statement that you can basically tell that a cake recipe containing vinegar will taste bad. I corrected you, as you clearly are unaware of the many cake recipes that use vinegar and similar ingredients. You seem to have no issue making all kinds of sharp statements here correcting others whenever you think someone else is wrong about something.

Why the knee jerk defense of your incorrect statement and the move to a mini lecture about electronics?

You clearly got out of your knowledge zone talking about cake recipes. I corrected you but wasn't nasty. Maybe just accept you were incorrect.  

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

19 minutes ago, barrows said:

So, just perhaps: HQPlayer is "best" for DSD oversampling into a DSD style DAC, and m Scaler is best for oversampling into a Chord DAC.

I think that is very true. But I think because the thread here is HMS, we have restricted the discussion to 1 million taps WTA filter (sinc-like/equivalent filter) for 16fs. I still don't fully understand how HQPlayer converts 1fs to DSD512. I have always assumed it was 1fs to 16fs (like HMS) then 16fs to DSD512.

But when you're using HMS+Chord DAC, what is really happening is 1fs to 16fs then WTA filter 16fs to 256fs then to 5-bit 104MHz then to 4 to 20-element PWM. So you are really doing 1fs to 16fs, 16fs to 256fs then 256fs to 4-20 times DSD2048...

6 hours ago, mansr said:

If a cake recipe calls for vinegar, I suspect we can all say something about how it is likely to taste without actually eating it.

Not really, - there may be something that works with or against the vinegar to make it taste excellent....

Of course, - with the Chord product, - it is decidedly NOT throwing something as incongruous as vinegar into the recipe.

30 minutes ago, Albrecht said:

Not really, - there may be something that works with or against the vinegar to make it taste excellent....

Of course, - with the Chord product, - it is decidedly NOT throwing something as incongruous as vinegar into the recipe.

No its the dual BNC connections

The Truth Is Out There

3 hours ago, mansr said:

Where did I say it would taste bad?

Give it up. You were wrong about something. Live with it.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

13 hours ago, romaz said:

I own HQPlayer.  I find it to be a powerful, versatile and affordable tool.  It definitely has merit.  I have heard many fine upsampling HQP servers with the SGM2015 perhaps being the best sounding of all.  I get together routinely with a group of audiophiles and we listen and compare different pieces of equipment.  With certain DACs, I'm happy to bring out my PC and upsample to DSD512 with HQP because it sounds better.  With other DACs, upsampling to high-res PCM sounds better.  And with Chord DACs, I find that HQPlayer doesn't add anything at all.  With poor recordings that are harsh and bright, I like what DSD does.  With well recorded music, especially unamplified acoustical recordings (i.e. large orchestral performances), I personally struggle with the softer transients of DSD and its relative lack of depth precision.  Go ahead and tell me I'm wrong.  I've listened and compared enough to know what I prefer. 

Some people prefer PCM and some DSD. In my experience, the various masterings vastly outweigh differences between the formats.

For PCM Chord DACs might be a fine choice, being primarily designed for PCM. Other folks prefer DSD and there are choices such as T+A that one would expect to perform better with DSD upsampling than PCM upsampling.

Another choice would be Phasure NOS1a and I would expect @PeterSt's excellent XXHE to outperform the Chord upsampler with his own DAC. Have you compared these two i.e. the "m scaler" with NOS1a? I haven't but would expect XXHE to be the best in this case -- obviously the two are made for eachother!

Comparing HQPlayer with Chord hardware is truly apples to oranges. My own listening does not find the faults with DSD that you find. I find that with a well implemented DAC, the output sections are very important, and to my own ear, vastly more important than the server hardware. That's to my own ear, and obviously YMDV.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.