IGNORED

Genelec M030 Vs. KEF LS50

On 7/23/2018 at 7:57 PM, davide256 said:

closed cans sound less airy but don't have to sound muddy. I've no experience with your headphones, but  WhatHiFi characterizes them as close in sound to Grado SR60's which are pretty decent inexpensive headphones. Are you able to use them directly connected to PC and if so does the muddiness improve? It's possible

the headphone DAC/amp/pre out combo is what you aren't happy with.

the HD380 and speakers both improve in details when using the D1 , the details during complex music in the Hd380pro are less pronounced compared to the speakers  and for some reason the highs are too much too handle

On 7/24/2018 at 6:48 AM, esldude said:

Use some playback software with the old style graphic equalizer in it.  If you have nothing else you can use VLC for this.  Under tools it has an EQ you can engage.  Pull down the lowest frequency slide on music that gets muddy

I have been trying to do that , but its not really easy to tell , what annoys me is that Complex music doesn't sound as natural as music files with vocals and slow paced music do on my speakers .  Vocals and slow paced music when i sit at the right spot and close my eyes i forget that the speakers are there  as it sounds so natural and not like they are coming out of a box  (at least for my novice ears  ) , while with complex music and classical rock its not the same, they don't sound natural  and sometimes Painful for my ears.

I have been playing around with the placement of my speakers , there is a pleasant improvement in details  , I do feel that adding a sub woofer  is going to help me get the best of my speakers but i have two opposing opinions on this subject 

On 7/24/2018 at 6:48 AM, esldude said:

If you are going to play loud music with lots of low end you'll struggle with most small monitors to get enough bass.  A sub relieves the monitors of that and lets them work better over a range they can handle. 

On 7/23/2018 at 3:32 PM, church_mouse said:

I would avoid simply adding a sub-woofer to your current set-up (even it that is feasible) because I don't think it will help with the "muddiness".  A sub-woofer cannot clear up any low-mid range congestion, if that is what your current system suffers.

1 hour ago, Phonautograph said:

the HD380 and speakers both improve in details when using the D1 , the details during complex music in the Hd380pro are less pronounced compared to the speakers  and for some reason the highs are too much too handle

I have been trying to do that , but its not really easy to tell , what annoys me is that Complex music doesn't sound as natural as music files with vocals and slow paced music do on my speakers .  Vocals and slow paced music when i sit at the right spot and close my eyes i forget that the speakers are there  as it sounds so natural and not like they are coming out of a box  (at least for my novice ears  ) , while with complex music and classical rock its not the same, they don't sound natural  and sometimes Painful for my ears.

I have been playing around with the placement of my speakers , there is a pleasant improvement in details  , I do feel that adding a sub woofer  is going to help me get the best of my speakers but i have two opposing opinions on this subject 

What you are describing sounds like a classic case of a speaker or amp being overloaded.  A sub-woofer would roll off anything below 100 hz on the main speakers.  Most of the power and excursion needed by speakers is in the very low frequencies.  Remove the low frequencies and the speaker/amp is under less strain.  Sounding painful and muddy at high volumes and complex music that has considerable bass is just what would cause that. 

That is why I suggested trying to use EQ to remove the lower frequencies.  Yes the sound will be different, and probably not to your liking. But does that get rid of muddied musical lines, and a sense of overload?

What you are describing wouldn't come from any credible DAC (and your DAC is credible).  It may be your speakers have problems with complex music at any volume, but I don't know enough about your speakers.  I also don't know how loud you are playing them.  Maybe you are asking more from the speakers than they are capable of giving.  Does turning down the volume a just noticeable amount clear things up any on the problem music?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

21 hours ago, esldude said:

What you are describing sounds like a classic case of a speaker or amp being overloaded.  A sub-woofer would roll off anything below 100 hz on the main speakers.  Most of the power and excursion needed by speakers is in the very low frequencies.  Remove the low frequencies and the speaker/amp is under less strain.  Sounding painful and muddy at high volumes and complex music that has considerable bass is just what would cause that. 

That is why I suggested trying to use EQ to remove the lower frequencies.  Yes the sound will be different, and probably not to your liking. But does that get rid of muddied musical lines, and a sense of overload?

What you are describing wouldn't come from any credible DAC (and your DAC is credible).  It may be your speakers have problems with complex music at any volume, but I don't know enough about your speakers.  I also don't know how loud you are playing them.  Maybe you are asking more from the speakers than they are capable of giving.  Does turning down the volume a just noticeable amount clear things up any on the problem music?

I am afraid I cant really put my finger on the problem when playing with the equalizer , its not a definite instrument that i cant hear clearly ,all i am able to tell for sure that i am not pleased with the overall experience during fast paced complex music  , i am afraid i am too much of a novice in acoustics  to help diagnose the problem that way  which is frustrating.

i  think it cant handle complex fast music , i have found another users on google search that describe the speakers to sound very good but it lags in certain genres like Metal 

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/speakers-that-sound-like-b-as-i-e-are-fast.550330/

i dont know what measures speakers response time or determine if they lag or not  , where can i find that on a specification sheet 

So it does seem that these speakers cant handle fast paced complex music for whats its worth , i am searching for the JBL's LSR305 you recommended  i am also excited to try these ribbon shaped tweeters , should increase the range of the sweet spot.

• 1 month later...