IGNORED

Article: Calibrating My Ears at the San Francisco Symphony

it is about the music - but he made the comparison (AFAIK) to see if he is getting the best SQ in his home - which is where MOST people listen to music

note also his careful seat selection (row N, and apparently just a tad right of center)

he was able to hear an orchestra in a much larger city than the one he resides in (and so likely better) so why not?

I enjoyed hearing George Szell and the CSO back in the day (tho I had no frame of reference to realize how good it was) and I sincerely doubt that he (and they) will be revivified and dropped into the middle of my small (170k) city so i can ear them.  Why would I not listen to them on a recording and try to make my sound system as good as I can?

Some kid tried to bring sexy back but nobody is gonna bring Coltrane back, so count yourself lucky to live in the era of recorded music

On 7/21/2018 at 3:06 PM, bbosler said:

GOT IT!   thanks for the response. I have an OPPO 203 that can decode the surround tracks. I was feeding it via HDMI to my AVR receiver. The receiver can't (or I haven't figured out how to) decode the multichannel from the OPPO over HDMI so it applied surround processing that wasn't proper. However, when I feed the 7.1 analog output of the OPPO to the 7.1 analog in of the AVR (actually using 5.1) all is well. The surrounds are now ambience and it sounds quite nice. Down side.... how much will I now spend on these files???

BTW, the 205 has special jitter-improvement circuitry for the HDMI - don't think the 203 does...

• 3 weeks later...