IGNORED

Jeff Dorgay & TONEAudio Declare War on CA

33 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

If people don't like what you posted and you continue on a undesirable line posting after gentle hints you get a sheep picture. Continue after that and you get a lot sheep pictures.

What is the underlying message of the sheep picture?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Looks like Angry Jeff has added the following notice to the articles coming through his RSS feed:

Please note that all TONE Audio copy and photography is © 2005–2018 TONE Magazine LLC. This RSS feed is provided for personal, non-commercial use only.

If you are not reading this content in your news aggregator, RSS reader, or direct, then the site you are looking at may be guilty of copyright infringement. If you locate this anywhere, please contact [email protected] so we can take action immediately.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Yes.  Did you send them a short write-up?

Oh they know.

<opinion ="on">

Look IMHO the copyright laws in this country, primarily including the DMCA, are substantially evil. In particular if I buy a Blu-Ray or DVD or SACD, I want the ability to rip these to disc. That's what I would call "fair use" ... I bought it and I should be able to use it. In fact, if the CD were encrypted the majority of this site probably either wouldn't exist, or would depend on "illegal activity" according to https://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap12.html#1201

That and net neutrality which is history. The Internet was founded by the govt and initially paid for by the govt and now has been taken over by big business. The airwaves are licensed which is fine but the govt can place restrictions on its licenses i.e. net neutrality, as well as granting the ability of AT&T or Time-Warner or whoever to have the right to run its wires on our streets -- in exchange for allowing these companies such access, we ought require net-neutrality.

But we don't because both the  Internet and our Government has been taken over by big business.

In any case there is a lot more evil about current copyright laws than the ability of some dumbass schmuck who doesn't understand the common intent of RSS to complain about Chris' use of his RSS. Whoopdee doo! (I know you are reading this because as I suggested, you just included a <copyright>). The best thing members of this site can do is ignore whoever it is writing about whatever magic cables.

In any case the EFF has very important issues to be concerned about.

</opinion>

Vote with your $$$$$

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

1 minute ago, mansr said:

By making a campaign donation?

Your choice.

Different people have different capabilities.

You can support open software and hardware (time + skill = $$$$$)

-- some people can write it

-- other people can use it

You can be generous with your advice

You can chose to use products that support your values

You can chose to purchase unencrypted media (e.g. WAV/AIFF/DIFF/DSF/ISO)

13 minutes ago, realhifi said:

This has been an odd thread. As far as I can see it WAS strictly personal between two (supposedly) professionals in the new era of Audiophile publishing on the wild wild internet. Then, it wasn’t. It was shouted from the rooftops that there was a beef between parties and “game on”, everyone and their brother is now into the “discussion” because?  In my opinion this should have never seen the light of day much less become a discussion in some Internet forum where it now besmirches professionals of BOTH sites. Not a good look. 

Exactly. 

On 7/17/2018 at 9:18 AM, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

my impression was JD didn't want to change the settings of his RSS feed but expected no, demanded Chris not to subscribe. If this is true the question is why. It's like he is implying some sort of understanding ... that compels Chris to comply. He cites that other audio websites have not trespassed into this area.

So it appears yes there was a reason that JD (or on a related matter like Darko) doesn't want to change his RSS feed and does expect to control who subscribes. It's about controlling site traffic for obvious reasons, protecting content, and using copyright (infringement) as a means to achieve this. 

This now makes much more sense. As previously alluded to JD perceives this as a win/lose scenario not a win/win.

Not being a lawyer I cannot pretend to understand the ins and outs of copyright and how this would go down, push come to shove, in a law suit. Some medicolegal cases in this country go all the way to the supreme court and it aint over to the 'fat judge sings'. Massively costly, massive angst, and it could all blow up in your face at the end.

Bully or no, right or wrong, my view would have simply been to comply and have taken down the RSS. Its just not worth it IMO. Others strongly disagree and Chris has made his stance clear. All of which I respect.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

21 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Bully or no, right or wrong, my view would have simply been to comply and have taken down the RSS. Its just not worth it IMO.

Agreed. If his only reason for not taking it down is that he feels JD could have been more polite and he felt bullied, well that seems like a lame reason and weak way to try to  push back.  It only brings to light his ego I guess. 

He could have easily taken it down and still had a talk with JD behind the scenes had he wanted to. Instead, we have this thread which he decided to publish. And flip-floppy behavior given that although he did not agree with Darko either, he did take those feeds down. 

Jabbr - I agree with your post above.  When I hit "The Internet was founded by the govt and initially paid for by the govt and now has been taken over by big business."  I could not help but think about the research (basic & otherwise) that is funded by tax dollars but has produced huge profits for drug and med. device co.s ...

A bigger potato...

On 7/16/2018 at 12:38 PM, jabbr said:

Interesting because I assume you didn’t sign over copyright of the letter you wrote.

I once was the editor of a document specification, one that I contributed primary development of, as well a software that operated on, and became an ASTM standard. 

I published the document format on my website. After it became an ASTM standard I received a nasty letter requiring me to take down the standard from the Web.

S*it — how would anyone find out about it? Oh fork out $$$ for an ASTM standards book! 

So I kept a “draft” copy up, one that I had put my own copyright notice on, and promptly quit the ASTM committee — at least the W3C freely publishes its documents.

This might apply to your experience:

https://www.eff.org/press/releases/win-public-right-know-court-vacates-injunction-against-publishing-law

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

26 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Jabbr - I agree with your post above.  When I hit "The Internet was founded by the govt and initially paid for by the govt and now has been taken over by big business."  I could not help but think about the research (basic & otherwise) that is funded by tax dollars but has produced huge profits for drug and med. device co.s ...

A bigger potato...

Yep, and circling back to Aaron Swartz*** who, very sadly did commit suicide (at age 26) over fear of the judicial department throwing the book at him for "liberating" scientific articles which were behind a paywall, but which were very largely funded by our tax dollars, and who was also involved in the development of RSS (at age 13) --- these copyright issues are very real.

*** oh yeah he also co-founded Reddit: http://www.aaronsw.com/ and I know he was a technical consultant on the Creative Commons license https://creativecommons.org/2013/01/12/remembering-aaron-swartz/

25 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - This one ends in a lose / lose for everyone. Here is the email I sent to Tone Audio’s representative. 

“I have to say I’m out. I can’t, in good conscience, send traffic (in essence give free advertising) to Jeff and Tone Audio. 

I can’t help out bullies or those who explode at me and threaten legal action. 

I’m disabling the feed.”

Wise move IMO

Sound Minds Mind Sound

41 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’m disabling the feed.”

You mean the Tone feed only right? Not the overall feed feature?

I like this feature. It serves as a bit of a central hub, linking to interesting articles elsewhere.