IGNORED

Jeff Dorgay & TONEAudio Declare War on CA

1 minute ago, mansr said:

Oh, I didn't know that. I only look at my subscribed feeds, not the mix pages. Anyway, who cares? It's a service like any other. Got to be paid for somehow.

Totally agree. My point was that what CA does with RSS is happening everywhere and some people are charging for it. If one believes his content shouldn't be consumed via RSS, then he should also go after Feedly and the like. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

I assume your question was rhetorical, but the answer is no, third parties are not allowed to reprint such content posted on stereophile.com without permission, other than in cases of defensible use under the Fair Use provision of US copyright law. Were Chris to do so, it would be an open-and-shut infringement of our copyright. And it is fair to note that Chris has always been supportive of our copyright when posters to this site post Stereophile's content to CA without permission.

For reprinting of an RSS feed, the answer is "it depends."

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

Of course the question was rhetorical. Of course ( @GUTB's everybody knows) the owners of Stereophile retain copyright to documents published on http://www.stereophile.com . You, as editor, are presumably authoritative regarding the permitted use of stereophile documents under copyright, including RSS documents.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

49 minutes ago, crenca said:

"This place" might be like a local pub, but this is a local pub on the internet.  Respectfully, your morals, your version of Civility that you assume should be reflected here and elsewhere, is positively dangerous.  I don't say that lightly, but I believe it to be true.  You appear (and only appear - perhaps not really and we are having a miscommunication) to support the kind of morality and civility that would sweep bullying underneath the "maturity" rug in a false effort to hide the real biker in our midst.  I would not willingly bring my kids to such a pub, even if it had the artificial air of friendly banter and English civility.

Hi,

If people applied the same approach to each other on the internet as they do in real life, the internet would be so much better.

I do not see how expecting people to behave with civility and respect to one another is dangerous.

If a person i was friends with was rude and abusive on the internet, but nice to peoples faces, then i would see that person in a completely different light. It would say a lot about their character if they think through anonymity that their abuse is acceptable. That is, they do it because they can get away with it. What else would they try to get away with ?

I am not sure what you are referring to about the hidden biker. If you are not going to meet the person then it is not an issue. Keep on talking to them.

If you are going to meet the person in the flesh, then as with ANY internet friendship - you must always take specific precautions to remain safe.

For some reason, people have behaved deplorably on the internet and this has been accepted as normal, just because it is the internet. We should not change the terms of acceptable behaviour because there is a screen and keyboard between people.

Regards,

Shadders.

Another interesting aspect of this is when we talk about user generated content. 

YouTube is the largest host of user generated content and has set the standard (like it or not) for how to deal with copyright infringements on its sites. This standard ranges from do nothing - to take it down.

What if CA doesn't import RSS feeds and members of the community add their own feeds here at CA? It only gets murkier. 

Interesting but not authoritative article:

https://www.socalinternetlawyer.com/dmca-user-generated-content/

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, crenca said:

I hear you.  However, respectfully, you are making some assumptions about "this place", forums, and the internet in general that are "outdated" to pick a term.  Do you open doors for ladies who are not your wife and daughters?  Why not?  Does not Civility and being a gentleman demand it?  It is not a yes or no question, because the answer is really "it depends".  100 years ago, even 50 years ago the answer and expectation was one thing.  Today things are different.  If you insist that "civility" demands opening the door (or standing when a lady walks into the room) today you are revealed to be a Victorian anachronism.  

"This place" might be like a local pub, but this is a local pub on the internet.  Respectfully, your morals, your version of Civility that you assume should be reflected here and elsewhere, is positively dangerous.  I don't say that lightly, but I believe it to be true.  You appear (and only appear - perhaps not really and we are having a miscommunication) to support the kind of morality and civility that would sweep bullying underneath the "maturity" rug in a false effort to hide the real biker in our midst.  I would not willingly bring my kids to such a pub, even if it had the artificial air of friendly banter and English civility.

In other words, you are not really considering an alternative perspective - a different kind or aspect of civility.  You just assuming that Chris has overreacted or is being "high school", etc.  You are assuming the threat is not real.  You are assuming that your perspective is right and that it should be obvious what the mature thing is in relationships and persons of various backgrounds "in the real world".

When the biker walks into your friendly local pub and starts grabbing asses, puffing his chest, throwing bottles, what do you do?

I am not really sure where to go with this, but let me flog ole Nellie a lil more. Your last analogy is bogus. Chris is taking their content and starting a thread on this site and grabbing asses is a whole lot different than getting pissy and saying you'll sue if they don't abide. Seriously, if you want to discuss this, at least be real about it. It was legal threat, not a physical one. No baby seals are at risk here.

And speaking of baby seal deaths, I just don't buy this as bullying. It was an empty threat by a blow hard. Yes, they do exist. If there had been a letter from an attorney, perhaps. But to say that whenever some nitwit says something stupid he should get defamed publicly seems too far. If nothing else, the RSS feed should be stopped as Jeff has been clear about that.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

44 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

If people applied the same approach to each other on the internet as they do in real life, the internet would be so much better.

I do not see how expecting people to behave with civility and respect to one another is dangerous.

If a person i was friends with was rude and abusive on the internet, but nice to peoples faces, then i would see that person in a completely different light. It would say a lot about their character if they think through anonymity that their abuse is acceptable. That is, they do it because they can get away with it. What else would they try to get away with ?

I am not sure what you are referring to about the hidden biker. If you are not going to meet the person then it is not an issue. Keep on talking to them.

If you are going to meet the person in the flesh, then as with ANY internet friendship - you must always take specific precautions to remain safe.

For some reason, people have behaved deplorably on the internet and this has been accepted as normal, just because it is the internet. We should not change the terms of acceptable behaviour because there is a screen and keyboard between people.

Regards,

Shadders.

Respectfully the issue is exactly all these  "ifs".  If men were angels we would not need government,  codes of conduct etc.  If men behaved the same way they do in person when they were behind a keyboard the internet would not be different.  However all the evidence supports the fact that men do behave differently behind the keyboard, and thus the rules while having the same principles are in fact different in structure and application.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

1 hour ago, crenca said:

"If you insist that "civility" demands opening the door (or standing when a lady walks into the room) today you are revealed to be a Victorian anachronism."

Or a true Texan :) 

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

3 minutes ago, 4est said:

I am not really sure where to go with this, but let me flog ole Nellie a lil more. Your last analogy is bogus. Chris is taking their content and starting a thread on this site and grabbing asses is a whole lot different than getting pissy and saying you'll sue if they don't abide. Seriously, if you want to discuss this, at least be real about it. It was legal threat, not a physical one. No baby seals are at risk here.

And speaking of baby seal deaths, I just don't buy this as bullying. It was an empty threat by a blow hard. Yes, they do exist. If there had been a letter from an attorney, perhaps. But to say that whenever some nitwit says something stupid he should get defamed publicly seems too far. If nothing else, the RSS feed should be stopped as Jeff has been clear about that.

Not that it matters much, but we obviously disagree.  You simply refuse to see it from any other angle then your own.  Sure baby seals were not involved and the threat might not be physical but in the small audiophile community the threat and the rumor mill harm that could come to Chris by not getting the truth out there could be very real. In other words you're all about Jeff's supposed reputation, but Chris's is not even on your radar. You simply discount that out of hand. You also still maintain that Jeff is right when he is in the in fact in the wrong about RSS.

Just now, crenca said:

Respectfully the issue is exactly all these  "ifs".  If men were angels we would not need government,  codes of conduct etc.  If men behaved the same way they do in person when they were behind a keyboard the internet would not be different.  However all the evidence supports the fact that men do behave differently behind the keyboard, and thus the rules while having the same principles are in fact different in structure and application.

Hi,

My point is that when people get behind the keyboard, they get worse, not better, so the hidden biker does not exist.

Yes - full of if's, but again, being nice does not cost you anything. If you are naturally rude, then ok - but the internet anonymity has caused people to think they can be rude with no consequences - and the internet is toxic because of it.

So, what do we do - teach people to realise that at the other end of the internet is a person, so behave as you would in real life, or let people run amok, and introduce laws to stop abhorrent behaviour ?

In the UK - they have introduced laws to tackle toxic behaviour - but those people who do get convicted, do not behave as per the internet persona in real life.

So, no need to change the rules of behaviour - just teach people that anonymity does not mean you can behave differently.

Regards,

Shadders.

“The majority of the parents are very concerned about the hypothetical school shooter even though the statistics reveal that the chances of your child being harmed at school by a random deranged shooter are up there with them getting hit by a piece of falling space junk.”

???? @crenca, how many children died of space junk this year, crenca?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

16 minutes ago, RickyV said:

“The majority of the parents are very concerned about the hypothetical school shooter even though the statistics reveal that the chances of your child being harmed at school by a random deranged shooter are up there with them getting hit by a piece of falling space junk.”

???? @crenca, how many children died of space junk this year, crenca?

Don't know but probably zero. The number of children harmed at school by deranged shooters is a lot closer to zero then the number who committed suicide and or were otherwise positively harmed by social media bullying and sexual manipulation.

It's about appropriate and proportional response. Because the media makes a lot of hay (and thus $benefits$) about deranged school shooters it makes people believe that it's a serious and likely problem when it in fact is not.  

Ask yourself how are your children likely to be harmed? At school or in the car ride on the way to school?

30 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

My point is that when people get behind the keyboard, they get worse, not better, so the hidden biker does not exist.

Yes - full of if's, but again, being nice does not cost you anything. If you are naturally rude, then ok - but the internet anonymity has caused people to think they can be rude with no consequences - and the internet is toxic because of it.

So, what do we do - teach people to realise that at the other end of the internet is a person, so behave as you would in real life, or let people run amok, and introduce laws to stop abhorrent behaviour ?

In the UK - they have introduced laws to tackle toxic behaviour - but those people who do get convicted, do not behave as per the internet persona in real life.

So, no need to change the rules of behaviour - just teach people that anonymity does not mean you can behave differently.

Regards,

Shadders.

Apparently I fat fingered my first reply to you and it went into the ether.  No being nice is not always the appropriate response. No I don't think you will be able to teach somebody out of this dichotomy of behaving differently in person and when behind a keyboard because I think it goes to something deep in human nature.  No I don't think we will agree on this because it's likely we have different views of human nature...

I know there are a lot of children are going to school in the us and only two dozen, or so, children have been killed this year, Thats not bad is it? And on top of that there are suicides,   etc.

If I ask myself where my children are likely to be harmed, I’d say the US.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

Just now, Shadders said:

Did you know that vitamin D3 is made from the Lanolin oil in sheeps wool.

Nope but getting ready for a golf tournament reminded me how much more effective the golf communities are about policing their sites.

As I told someone a while ago. "You shoot in the 90's I'm not interested in your opinion." 

1 minute ago, Rt66indierock said:

Nope but getting ready for a golf tournament reminded me how much more effective the golf communities are about policing their sites.

As I told someone a while ago. "You shoot in the 90's I'm not interested in your opinion." 

Hi,

Sorry, i don't get the sheep reference. Are they to cut the grass ?

And the shoot reference - do you mean handicap ?

Regards,

Shadders.

Just now, Shadders said:

Hi,

Sorry, i don't get the sheep reference. Are they to cut the grass ?

And the shoot reference - do you mean handicap ?

Regards,

Shadders.

If people don't like what you posted and you continue on a undesirable line posting after gentle hints you get a sheep picture. Continue after that and you get a lot sheep pictures.

Yes if you have say a 20 handicap I'm not interest in your opinion about golf.