The Computer Audiophile

Jeff Dorgay & TONEAudio Declare War on CA

Rate this topic

Hi Guys - I'm a fan of transparency and exposing people who threaten me or CA. What follows is an email exchange between Jeff Dorgay the publisher of TONEAudio and myself. 

First some background - CA launched a new feature recently that publishes the content of RSS feeds (LINK). If you don't know RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication. We only publish exactly what each website pushes out in its to-be syndicated feed. It's all automated. Some websites only syndicate the title of articles while others syndicate the entire article. It's up to each publisher to syndicate (or not) whatever content it wants. We also provide links to the original article. 

I think this provides a great centralized place for people to leave comments about articles that come from sites that either don't offer comment sections, have disabled comment sections, or tend to remove comments that don't fit a narrative. 

Again, we only publish what the publisher has enabled in its syndication feed.

Here is the email exchange:

Hi The Computer Audiophile
Guest reported a post in a topic titled Tone Audio: A $2,995 Marvel – The EAT E-Glo S Hybrid/Tube Phonostage 

Hey, this is really NOT COOL. You are reprinting entire reviews of ours without our permission. One line or a paragraph with a link is ok, but this is out of line.

You need to stop this now.

My reply

On Jul 15, 2018, at 3:05 PM, Chris Connaker <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Jeff - Not sure if you sent this or not. 

What we do is pull in the RSS feeds of sites. It’s all automated. We only publish exactly what’s enabled from the original publisher through its RSS configuration. 

You guys are allowing everyone to read complete articles via RSS, thus we are able to pull all of this in. 

We actually prefer to only pull in a small snippet or paragraph and provide a link back to the entire thing. It helps everyone this way. 

If I were you I’d reconfigure the RSS feeds to be more inline with industry standards. It would benefit us all. 

Chris

Jeff Dorgay's reply

On Jul 15, 2018, at 4:27 PM, JeffD <[email protected] .com> wrote:

No you’re using my content without my permission. I’m not going to change how we post our content so it makes it easier for you to steal it. Take it down NOW   

I want to see every bit of tone content off of your site or the next call is to my attorney.  

This is way out of line

Sent from my iPhone

Jeff's follow-up reply

On Sun, Jul 15, 2018 at 6:30 PM JeffD <[email protected] .com> wrote:

If I were you I’d un-automate us from your feed.  

Sent from my iPhone

My reply

On Jul 15, 2018, at 5:15 PM, Chris Connaker <[email protected]> wrote:

Jeff - Feel free to call your attorney. However that sounds pretty strange to me. 

The better person to call is whoever misconfigured your website to publish complete articles via RSS. You guys are providing this content for syndication (RSS = Really Simple Syndication).

We provide our users a cloud based RSS reader. They can do the exact same thing in any local or cloud based RSS reader available online. We only present our users what each publisher has explicitly setup to be syndicated. 

Our service is 100% legal and far better than what Flipboard is doing to you. If you get your RSS feeds fixed to be inline with almost every other site on the internet then everyone wins. 

Chris

Jeff's reply

On Sun, Jul 15, 2018 at 7:33 PM JeffD <[email protected] .com> wrote:

Except Stereophile TAS and all the others aren’t publishing our feed.  You’re the only one doing it and we both know it’s a dick move

Consider the war on

Sent from my iPhone

My final reply

On Jul 15, 2018, at 5:37 PM, Chris Connaker <[email protected]> wrote:

Wow Jeff. I’m speechless. 

Chris

Jeff's final reply

On Sun, Jul 15, 2018 at 7:39 PM JeffD <[email protected] .com> wrote:

Don’t be a smug little asshole take it down now

Sent from my iPhone

Founder of Audiophile Style and Superphonica

Hi Chris

Publishing email conversations without first seeking the permission of the sender is a very grey area, and possibly not a good move.

Perhaps they should be removed and just an overview given ?

Jud may be able to assist with some general advice in this area. 

Kind Regards

Alex

"If you can't hear the difference between an original CD and a copy of your CD,

you might as well give up your career as a tester. The difference between a reconstituted FLAC and full size WAV is much less than that, but it does exist. - Cookie Marenco"

PROFILE UPDATED 18-06-2019

11 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Joel - John Darko and I had a disagreement about his RSS feeds being published here. He suggested a phone call to which I agreed. 

We resolved the situation and remain friends. 

Hey Chris,

I've met John Darko and he seemed like a good guy.

And I know you're a very good guy.

That a phone call resolved everything doesn't surprise me.

Another reason to call?: When you e-mail your comments, you document them for others to see.

Sometimes, as in this case, not such a good idea.

Joel

1 minute ago, plissken said:

Actually this isn't grey at all. Anyone ever just firing off an email has zero expectation to privacy. 

Yes, Mr. Attorney . :P

you might as well give up your career as a tester. The difference between a reconstituted FLAC and full size WAV is much less than that, but it does exist. - Cookie Marenco"

This really shocks me. It sounds as if Jeff is under some pressure. When I had my shop open as an audio shop I interacted with Jeff when he was just getting started. He was extremely professional and a fun guy to interact with. He added many features to my ads gratis as cash flow was very minimal in the early days. He even took some photos for me to enhance my ad. I hope you fellows can work this out. No one needs any extra stress in these days and times. Blessings to you all. Paul

MacPro 24 GB/8TB / A+ and Pure Music / LAMPIZATOR B7 as Dac and Pre w/volume control / Regen /Intona USB Iso/curious USB / Emotive Audio Sira / PASS Aleph P / D-Sonic M3 600 mono's / MIT / Shunyata Alpha HC, Alpha Digital, Alpha Analogue, Weizhi PR-6 / Exact Power XP15a-4 balanced power distributor / FOCAL Maestro UTOPIA III's in red/black

"In life's final analysis, one's relationship with his Maker is all that really matters."

Just now, tmtomh said:

That's true - and Chris has every right to publish that exchange.

At the same time, I would guess that publishing that exchange will only redouble Dorgay's rage, because (at least in Dorgay's mind) it's the same type of thing Dorgay was upset about in the first place with the RSS issue.

I find idiots are generally idiots all the way through. It's their unerring ability to keep operating in the same manner but expecting different results. 

This really shocks me. It sounds as if

Edited by cpvniii
Duplicate post

MacPro 24 GB/8TB / A+ and Pure Music / LAMPIZATOR B7 as Dac and Pre w/volume control / Regen /Intona USB Iso/curious USB / Emotive Audio Sira / PASS Aleph P / D-Sonic M3 600 mono's / MIT / Shunyata Alpha HC, Alpha Digital, Alpha Analogue, Weizhi PR-6 / Exact Power XP15a-4 balanced power distributor / FOCAL Maestro UTOPIA III's in red/black

"In life's final analysis, one's relationship with his Maker is all that really matters."

14 minutes ago, plissken said:

Actually this isn't grey at all. Anyone ever just firing off an email has zero expectation to privacy. 

We have a winner.  Unless the email was correspondence solely with counsel or sent with the expectation of privacy and protected under a right of privacy (i.e. personal financial information), it is generally not considered priveledged.  

5 minutes ago, Cary said:

We have a winner.  Unless the email was correspondence solely with counsel or sent with the expectation of privacy and protected under a right of privacy (i.e. personal financial information), it is generally not considered priveledged.  

Well, despite mixing up concepts of privilege, confidentiality of correspondence, and privacy of personal financial information, the conclusion remains correct. No right not to have your correspondent pass along this information.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen (powered by LPS-1) -> Ghent JSSG360 USB cable -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC ->

Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

the other question is where is that guy's analog web site?

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

14 minutes ago, Jud said:

Well, despite mixing up concepts of privilege, confidentiality of correspondence, and privacy of personal financial information, the conclusion remains correct. No right not to have your correspondent pass along this information.

Jud

As tmtomh said :

At the same time, I would guess that publishing that exchange will only redouble Dorgay's rage, because (at least in Dorgay's mind) it's the same type of thing Dorgay was upset about in the first place with the RSS issue.