IGNORED

Jeff Dorgay & TONEAudio Declare War on CA

Hi Guys - I'm a fan of transparency and exposing people who threaten me or CA. What follows is an email exchange between Jeff Dorgay the publisher of TONEAudio and myself. 

First some background - CA launched a new feature recently that publishes the content of RSS feeds (LINK). If you don't know RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication. We only publish exactly what each website pushes out in its to-be syndicated feed. It's all automated. Some websites only syndicate the title of articles while others syndicate the entire article. It's up to each publisher to syndicate (or not) whatever content it wants. We also provide links to the original article. 

I think this provides a great centralized place for people to leave comments about articles that come from sites that either don't offer comment sections, have disabled comment sections, or tend to remove comments that don't fit a narrative. 

Again, we only publish what the publisher has enabled in its syndication feed.

Here is the email exchange:

Hi The Computer Audiophile
Guest reported a post in a topic titled Tone Audio: A $2,995 Marvel – The EAT E-Glo S Hybrid/Tube Phonostage 

Hey, this is really NOT COOL. You are reprinting entire reviews of ours without our permission. One line or a paragraph with a link is ok, but this is out of line.

You need to stop this now.

My reply

On Jul 15, 2018, at 3:05 PM, Chris Connaker <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Jeff - Not sure if you sent this or not. 

What we do is pull in the RSS feeds of sites. It’s all automated. We only publish exactly what’s enabled from the original publisher through its RSS configuration. 

You guys are allowing everyone to read complete articles via RSS, thus we are able to pull all of this in. 

We actually prefer to only pull in a small snippet or paragraph and provide a link back to the entire thing. It helps everyone this way. 

If I were you I’d reconfigure the RSS feeds to be more inline with industry standards. It would benefit us all. 

Chris

Jeff Dorgay's reply

On Jul 15, 2018, at 4:27 PM, JeffD <Jeff@ .com> wrote:

No you’re using my content without my permission. I’m not going to change how we post our content so it makes it easier for you to steal it. Take it down NOW   

I want to see every bit of tone content off of your site or the next call is to my attorney.  

This is way out of line

Sent from my iPhone

Jeff's follow-up reply

On Sun, Jul 15, 2018 at 6:30 PM JeffD <Jeff@ .com> wrote:

If I were you I’d un-automate us from your feed.  

Sent from my iPhone

My reply

On Jul 15, 2018, at 5:15 PM, Chris Connaker <[email protected]> wrote:

Jeff - Feel free to call your attorney. However that sounds pretty strange to me. 

The better person to call is whoever misconfigured your website to publish complete articles via RSS. You guys are providing this content for syndication (RSS = Really Simple Syndication).

We provide our users a cloud based RSS reader. They can do the exact same thing in any local or cloud based RSS reader available online. We only present our users what each publisher has explicitly setup to be syndicated. 

Our service is 100% legal and far better than what Flipboard is doing to you. If you get your RSS feeds fixed to be inline with almost every other site on the internet then everyone wins. 

Chris

Jeff's reply

On Sun, Jul 15, 2018 at 7:33 PM JeffD <Jeff@ .com> wrote:

Except Stereophile TAS and all the others aren’t publishing our feed.  You’re the only one doing it and we both know it’s a dick move

Consider the war on

Sent from my iPhone

My final reply

On Jul 15, 2018, at 5:37 PM, Chris Connaker <[email protected]> wrote:

Wow Jeff. I’m speechless. 

Chris

Jeff's final reply

On Sun, Jul 15, 2018 at 7:39 PM JeffD <Jeff@ .com> wrote:

Don’t be a smug little asshole take it down now

Sent from my iPhone

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

This is about RSS and it’s about holding people accountable. I don’t give anyone a free pass and leave the door open to treat me or others this way again. 

It’s also about the truth. With the full contents of the email public, no lies can be made up about what was said in this “war.”

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

13 minutes ago, HiFiInsider said:

You and Jeff are in the same business and at times work with the same manufacturers. You two will one day run into each other.

We were in Denmark together in October visiting Dynaudio. Thus my “I’m speechless” comment. 

13 minutes ago, HiFiInsider said:

Why does it have to get ugly with one another?

That’s a question for him. 

Just now, HiFiInsider said:

Chris, you didn’t answer this question. 

why is it so important to you to include Jeff's content in your RSS reader? 

I disagree with the premise of your question. 

I’m offering a solution to a problem. I want to offer the best solution possible. The more feeds with decent content the better. 

2 hours ago, arcman said:

Actually, I really do not care about the other stuff...I just found it unprofessional to post the emails no matter how unprofessional the sender. Maybe I'm an old fart...I'm just amazed how people can't handle conflict these days. 

As I said before, posting the emails was a way to expose a bully, shine a light on his actions, and get the unaltered truth out there. 

He literally declared war. I’m assuming he’ll make up some rumors about what happened or what I’m doing etc... Now the facts are here for everyone. It’s not a he said - he said thing. 

I have hundreds of emails from other people who hate me for whatever reason. I’d never publish them. This is different. 

3 hours ago, james45974 said:

Sensible, it has done nothing but clutter up CA with useless stuff available easily elsewhere, try Daily Audiophile.  No need for the duplication.

Daily Audiophile is great if you want the title of the article. 

We provide more, if syndicated by the publisher, and give people a place to talk about it. I don’t see the duplication. 

1 minute ago, phototristan said:

If you look at the actual RSS feed, it does NOT include the full text of the article, as most RSS feeds do not. It includes a summary and link to the source: 

http://www.feedbucket.com/?src=http://www.tonepublications.com/feed/&amp;start=30

I think CA is a bit disingenuous with attribution for sure. 

Absolutely false. We enter the RSS feed address into our software. That’s it. 

If we were disingenuous we’d do it for other sites as well. 

Just now, phototristan said:

I don't, and you don't. Why do I say this? Because just take a look at the RAW RSS feed data and you will see exactly what is in their RSS feed. Hint- it's not the full article. 

I understand if you admit you don’t. But please, if you don’t understand how it works, stop suggesting your single example is the way it must work. 

1 minute ago, phototristan said:

You stated in one of your replies to Jeff that you actually prefer to just post a summary of articles. If that is the case, why did you not just edit it to be a summary?  Boom - problem solved. 

Again, you don't understand how RSS works. I have no control over what is syndicated to CA. I can only accept the feed as it is. 

Keep digging. 

Because he himself stated he prefers a summary (versus full article), and the content creator complained to him about it. If he actually prefers it the way the content creator does, why not fix it? Boom - problem solved. 

Keep digging Tristan.

You're doubling-down on the extremely backwards way of putting a band-aide on this one. 

Did you see the single button Jeff needs to click on his site to resolve the issue he created?

8 minutes ago, phototristan said:

This is not even the article in question...

Tristan, I'm sure you have wonderful expertise in many areas. Perhaps you're a photographer, given your username. You probably now Jeff is a photographer as well. Anyway, I can't recommend enough that we all stick to our areas of expertise if we're going to argue the technical details of something. 

5 minutes ago, phototristan said:

How about from actual attorneys then? 

https://kevin.lexblog.com/2006/09/18/law-on-using-others-rss-feeds/

"The content of RSS feeds, including the headline and the article or story, is protected by copyright, and retransmission, distribution, or other uses without permission is copyright infringement. "

Keep digging. 

Then please quote everything rather than the selected option that you think supports you. 

As of September 2006, when that was published,  "Jury may be out on this."

Yep, and the more you try to defend your stance given that Jeff has already contacted you informing you that his intentions are/were not to allow his full article to be published on your site, the more indefensible your stance becomes. 

Keep digging your hole as a proxy for Jeff.