IGNORED

Jeff Dorgay & TONEAudio Declare War on CA

Hi Chris

Publishing email conversations without first seeking the permission of the sender is a very grey area, and possibly not a good move.

Perhaps they should be removed and just an overview given ?

Jud may be able to assist with some general advice in this area. 

Kind Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 minute ago, plissken said:

Actually this isn't grey at all. Anyone ever just firing off an email has zero expectation to privacy. 

Yes, Mr. Attorney . :P

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

14 minutes ago, Jud said:

Well, despite mixing up concepts of privilege, confidentiality of correspondence, and privacy of personal financial information, the conclusion remains correct. No right not to have your correspondent pass along this information.

Jud

As tmtomh said :

At the same time, I would guess that publishing that exchange will only redouble Dorgay's rage, because (at least in Dorgay's mind) it's the same type of thing Dorgay was upset about in the first place with the RSS issue.

16 minutes ago, Jud said:

I find angry and unreasonable people tend to see offers of accommodation as a sign of weakness, since it is the sort of thing they would never do unless the situation forced them to.

This fellow has in effect electronically sent the full contents of his magazine to any random person on the Web, and is demanding people refuse to take delivery, rather than simply ceasing to send out the content.

Even if Chris stopped, that potentially leaves every other person in the world with Web access. It seems far more effective to resolve the issue at the source. 

Hi Jud

Sometimes in life, it doesn't always pay to stand up to BULLIES !

It isn't always worth the wasted time and expense with the preparations, legal consultations, , court cases and all the additional worry just to prove that you are in the right.

Court cases can also  be scheduled for a time that is inconvenient, where you may have already made plans to be elsewhere.

Kind Regards

Alex

7 minutes ago, crenca said:

Your the guy with Hillary's email server in your basement aren't you ?

I would rather have access to Donald Drumpf's server .

Much more juicy and underhanded material to be had there ! ¬¬

8 minutes ago, plissken said:

This is the crux of the problem however. You don't understand RSS but you are willing to comment on it as some informed party. 

Your post tells me you are uninformed. Your response will inform all of us how reasonable a participant you are in learning something new. 

Who gives a stuff, certainly not the vast majority of C.A. members.

Chris has previously had a long held policy of not permitting full copies of C.A. threads to be posted elsewhere, just a brief resume and a link to the original thread.

Surely in this case, it should also apply to other Forum's/Vendors' material being posted in C.A. too ?

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

Hey Alex.  ?

Depending on someone who's being unreasonable to quietly go away if you *don't* stand up may or may not work.

Jud

If it doesn't go away, and I guess that he will be closely watching this thread and documenting it, let's hope that a court appearance isn't scheduled for when Chris wants to be at an Audio show in the other side of the world.

Regards

Just now, plissken said:

see your understanding of RSS is about as good as audio... So here goes:

I don't give a rat's anus about RSS.

Neither do I need any advice from somebody like yourself with such an aggressive attitude who is always spoiling for a fight. 

19 minutes ago, Jud said:

Hi Alex - This is where the technology difference comes in. 

Jud

I understand that.

However, in this case the complainant obviously had no idea that this could happen.

Yes, he was ill informed.

Is it worth getting all hot under the collar for such a trivial issue, when all Chris has to do is remove the disputed content, and advise that he would in future do the same again if the omission wasn't corrected ?

Obviously, this issue has greatly upset Chris, but does he and his family need all the added stress that pursuing this further may involve ?

Perhaps it's better for Chris to sleep on the issue and ignore the beating war drums from a few members?

Alex

7 minutes ago, Jud said:

Those are your feelings, and you are entitled to them.  Other people feel differently, and in fact the law treats this situation very differently than recording a phone conversation without consent.

Then the Law is an Ass !

Does it also permit dissemination of Mobile Phone Texts ???

8 minutes ago, Jud said:

Entirely aside from the present situation, Alex - Do you think as a matter of policy people who have been threatened, with regard to their businesses or persons, ought to have to worry that they will be subject to legal action if they reveal that to someone else?

Jud

There is a big difference between revealing the information to someone else for advice , e.g. a legal representative, and posting it in a forum for perhaps many thousands to see and make judgement, and perhaps result in a financial loss to one of those involved, perhaps via sales revenue.

If the dispute is serious enough, that's what the Court system is for.

You only need to look at the replies in this thread to see the many varied opinions.

If it's O.K. to post the content of emails, where there is no specific statement requiring the recipient to keep the contents private, then is it O.K. to also publish the contents of mail without the permission of the sender ?

I am not just talking about the USA either.

As far as I am concerned there are moral issues here as well.

Alex

12 minutes ago, Jud said:

Hi Alex - You are of course right that there are moral/ethical issues regarding confidentiality of correspondence

But apparently not with U.S. Politics ? :D

21 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

That seems to be how high end audio works at least in the United States. Do what you have to to drive traffic away from your site. With a little work I think Tone Audio can get themselves back under 100,000 views a month. As for Tristan I will take a better picture of Multnomah Falls than he did just because I can next week. 

Perhaps not all websites can  handle a high level of views without substantial upgrading ?

15 minutes ago, phototristan said:

If a content source wants to get their content off this site, but still wants to have their RSS as it is, is there a formal way to make that request? Perhaps publish that to avoid this issue with other content creators in the future. 

I can understand that sometimes they may wish to stop ONLY  Forums etc. that they consider are hostile to their organisation.

However, in this case I see no evidence of this from this forum before the blow up.