IGNORED

Jeff Dorgay & TONEAudio Declare War on CA

8 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Our service is 100% legal and far better than what Flipboard is doing to you. If you get your RSS feeds fixed to be inline with almost every other site on the internet then everyone wins. 

Chris

Jeff's reply

On Sun, Jul 15, 2018 at 7:33 PM JeffD <Jeff@ .com> wrote:

Except Stereophile TAS and all the others aren’t publishing our feed.  You’re the only one doing it and we both know it’s a dick move

Consider the war on

To state the obvious something doesn't reconcile here in Jeff D's logic. You have to assume he knows how RSS works and even if he didn't Chris explained it to him. So why not fix it from his end. That much has already been covered.

The odd part for me is that JD states "Except Stereophile TAS and all the others aren’t publishing our feed" as if to imply, so why do you. Also Chris mentioned a phone call from Darko about altering RSS feeds in some way which was settled amicably. What's to settle, you publish the RSS, people subscribe? So, is JD hinting at some kind of 'understanding'  between industry members about subscribing to each others RSS feeds or something ?

Sound Minds Mind Sound

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Daily Audiophile is great if you want the title of the article. 

We provide more, if syndicated by the publisher, and give people a place to talk about it. I don’t see the duplication. 

I can understand DA as its basically a notice board with redirection to the respective website.

So if they "syndicate more" who is the intended feed for? We know its not CA, TAS, Stereophile etc.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

8 hours ago, Jud said:

Yes, except the problem is that the way Tone Audio's RSS is configured, for anyone with a feed reader or web browser with feed reader capabilities, they are taking away hits from *their own* website. They can solve that problem for themselves *and for everyone else, including Chris*, with one click in the WordPress settings!

Wow lots of pages have gone by since last checking in so forgive me if it has already been mentioned.

I could be totally wrong here but my impression was JD didn't want to change the settings of his RSS feed but expected no, demanded Chris not to subscribe. If this is true the question is why. It's like he is implying some sort of understanding for example a gentleman's agreement or some other arrangement that compels Chris to comply. He cites that other audio websites have not trespassed into this area.

If one assumes that JD understands how RSS works, and it's a pretty good assumption because Chris told him, then his response is bizarre.... Unless there is something else going on, at least in his mind, to expect the Chris would automatically comply. Indeed if he doesn't comply he will sue the pants off him.

Now I realise this makes no sense because even if it was a gentleman's agreement I can't imagine it can be grounds to sue . I'm really just trying to explore where this guy's thinking has gone wrong

Sound Minds Mind Sound

51 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Alex is in Australia.  Like the EU it may have different privacy laws.  

I am not a lawyer so cannot authoritatively speak about the privacy laws in Australia (where I live).

I do know that within the medical profession emails and faxes commonly contain warnings such as ..

PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The information contained in this email transmission is intended for the named recipient only.

It may contain privileged and confidential information and if you are not the named or intended recipient you may not read, copy, distribute or take any other action in reliance on or in respect of the contents of this email. The privilege and confidentiality attached to this email communication is not waived by reason of error in transmission or addressee.   If you have received this email in error, or have reason to believe that you may have received this email in error, please destroy this email and any copies, extracts or summaries. We would also appreciate your advice that you have received this email in error.

Medical emails supposedly should be encrypted but few actually do this that I am aware of. Some medical service providers will not communicate at all by email insisting on Faxes. I have no idea why as I cannot see how this is more protected.

The issue of making personal emails public is , as I see it, an ethical rather than a legal matter. This might go tips up so to speak if you are broadcasting photos of your naked ex-wife but generally personal e-mails are out on the Internet for everybody to see. Ethically, people expect those private e-mails will remain private. Most people respect this privacy and will not disclose personal information or  hang out their dirty washing in public.

Receiving threats via e-mail is however a completely different kettle of fish in my opinion. Whether the threat is received electronically or in the paper mail it is expected it will be used in evidence in a public forum of some sort.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

27 minutes ago, Jud said:

It seems reasonably simple to me (though of course I could easily be wrong): I think Mr.  Dorgay was surprised to learn how RSS works.  By the time he realized the actual state of affairs, he likely felt he'd gone too far to take it all back.

You are probably right. If so, an extraordinary lapse in judgement not to back down. Speaking for myself as someone never afflicted with such lapses...hahahahahaha

Edit -well not recently, of course!

Sound Minds Mind Sound

3 minutes ago, phototristan said:

Details, please. Apparently Darko didn't want his content on your site either. He contacted you and you took it down. Was that really that difficult? Was the difference just that Darko begged you and said "pretty please"? 

I also brought this point up, not about asking nicely, but why Darko asked in the first place. I mean was it a  request about a one-off inadvertent error or a request never to subscribe to his feeds.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

3 minutes ago, crenca said:

Even though I have you on ignore for some reason this post came through

19 minutes ago, crenca said:

What good is communication if it is not communicated?

Hmmm, interesting dichotomy

3 minutes ago, crenca said:

It reminded me why I put you there in the first place  - the secret is out ?

I consider it a badge of honour ?

Sound Minds Mind Sound

24 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

He's really enjoying those mpg3 thingees you put on his computer last time you were over.

KK at least get your Dad some non lossy files

24 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Also, I hereby give you permission to post this to your BBS in case that man from Australia asks if you have permission to share my email.

A wise woman your Mom. She knows that you should be considerate of others' feelings, even Australians ! She taught you well ?

Sound Minds Mind Sound

41 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

This is the bizarre thing - why doesn't Tone amend things now so that his site provides just title and then he can have more traffic to his site ? That should have been the first reaction. At least a chat with his website person/s as has been suggested by others.

Does he not want more site traffic?

Best that I can figure its all about site traffic and the related benefits. Even in abridged form he may not want any RSS feed appearing on a site that may ultimately attract the viewer into further exploring the host site rather than click the link to his site to access the full article. IOW his perception may not be that of a win/win situation but more of a win/lose situation in his mind (just speculation on my part).

Not an excuse for his meltdown or threats and I'm not endorsing the concept that you can control who subscribes. If you put it out there its out there. Hence a polite *request* in the form of Hey, as a professional courtesy and favour would you mind taking down my RSS feed....would have been the order of the day.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

1 hour ago, firedog said:
6 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Chris, why would Darko want his RSS not displayed on CA. Is it the same reasoning as JD? It's not how politely they asked, but why they asked, is my question.

They don't want the entire article displayed, because they want the click to their site.

Hi firedog

you may have missed my earlier posts. I realize they don't want the whole article displayed.Moreover, its up to Darko and JD to configure the RSS feed to suit themselves. So, why the need for *any* discussion with CC at all. I speculated that maybe they don't even want the abridged version displayed.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

On 7/17/2018 at 9:18 AM, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

my impression was JD didn't want to change the settings of his RSS feed but expected no, demanded Chris not to subscribe. If this is true the question is why. It's like he is implying some sort of understanding ... that compels Chris to comply. He cites that other audio websites have not trespassed into this area.

So it appears yes there was a reason that JD (or on a related matter like Darko) doesn't want to change his RSS feed and does expect to control who subscribes. It's about controlling site traffic for obvious reasons, protecting content, and using copyright (infringement) as a means to achieve this. 

This now makes much more sense. As previously alluded to JD perceives this as a win/lose scenario not a win/win.

Not being a lawyer I cannot pretend to understand the ins and outs of copyright and how this would go down, push come to shove, in a law suit. Some medicolegal cases in this country go all the way to the supreme court and it aint over to the 'fat judge sings'. Massively costly, massive angst, and it could all blow up in your face at the end.

Bully or no, right or wrong, my view would have simply been to comply and have taken down the RSS. Its just not worth it IMO. Others strongly disagree and Chris has made his stance clear. All of which I respect.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

25 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - This one ends in a lose / lose for everyone. Here is the email I sent to Tone Audio’s representative. 

“I have to say I’m out. I can’t, in good conscience, send traffic (in essence give free advertising) to Jeff and Tone Audio. 

I can’t help out bullies or those who explode at me and threaten legal action. 

I’m disabling the feed.”

Wise move IMO

Sound Minds Mind Sound