IGNORED

Shielded vs. unshielded Ethernet and Grounding

13 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

what DAC do you use?  maybe it is impervious, while lesser ones are not...?

I use an Exasound E28 with balanced miniXLR outputs directly to my amps and sub.

It is George Klissarov's stated philosophy to handle noise and timing issues at the DAC end in USB rather than in the many, many possible upstream nooks and crannies, here there and everywhere in the PC and network.  That the PC and network environment are noisy is a given in his view and he attempts to design his DAC accordingly.  My experience is that he has been successful.

However, I still believe that careful attention to basic and simple electrical and grounding issues is important in any audio system. By that, I do not mean fancy power cords and power conditioners, which are of little to no help.  When I first used my PC for audio, there were noticeable ground noise issues with the PC and network plugged into a separate, normal house circuit.  But, plugging those into my matched, but unexotic garden variety audio electrical circuits fixed that easily in a snap.  My system is dead silent, and the sound is quite excellent.