IGNORED

Shielded vs. unshielded Ethernet and Grounding

On 7/12/2018 at 6:13 PM, Darryl R said:

My dCS Network Bridge is connected to my DAC with dual AES interconnect, and connected to my music server via shielded Ethernet cable.  The music server is in turn connected to my LAN with the same shielded cable.  A reputable manufacturer advised me my system may grounded to the LAN because of the shielding on the Ethernet cable.  I have some occasional light humming in the speakers.

Has anyone experienced any grounding issues with shielded Ethernet?  I see it is a known issue in various on-line sources.

In addition to dCS's official reply, I did experiment on the subject and found the best results with simple CAT 6 UTP to prevent from ground loops via shielding and a Emo Systems EN-70HD (hospital grade) network isolator to block any possible common mode noise. The network isolator is placed just before the Network Bridge.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz