IGNORED

Headless Linux UPnP Music Server - help with looking for one

Hi Music Server experts

I'm looking to setup a headless Linux UPnP music server - something that can be booted from USB drive.

Plex Media Server has a Linux Embedded version but I played with this and unfortunately it only talks to other Plex endpoints, not general UPnP renderers (like HQPlayer Embedded, DietPi's GMrender etc).  tagging @Miska also

So I'm looking for a USB bootable Linux based UPnP server, that works 'headlessly' (no keyboard, no mouse, no screen) and plays to UPnP renderers (like HQPlayer Embedded, DietPi Gmrender etc) 

Running on an Intel NUC.

I need headless operation so it boots up with the press of a power button, and shutsdown with the press of a power button and can be configured from a browser on a different machine on the same network.

And I really need it to be a USB bootable image - I don’t want to be installing and using Ubuntu server manually.

Cheers! 

4 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

There are other options out there but they aren't headless, though.

Thanks, yes I know about many of the other options but in this thread I'm only looking for complete headless operation.

Thanks for those MPD recommendation - they can play to UPnP renderers?

20 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Thanks for those MPD recommendation - they can play to UPnP renderers?

It's able to this, maybe you should be able to accomplish what you're looking for?

http://store.voyage.hk/prod_images/Voyage MPD Starter Kit 2.0 - Getting Started Guide v1.2.pdf#page=8

If you have music files hosted on UPnP AV Media Server in your network, you can use djmount to access UPnP media from Voyage MPD.

And then here's something called lightMPD/upnpgw

https://sites.google.com/site/digififan/home/digifi-labo/lightmpd-upnpgw

T1AMnnA.jpg

I don't get the question, especially with you referring to those UPnP renderers. I believe what you are actually after is a UPnP media server.

If that's the case, then you'd be pushed to find a better UPnP media server for music than the audio file dedicated MinimServer:

http://minimserver.com/index.html

I've run MinimServer headless before, without any issues, on a Raspberry Pi under Raspbian (Jessie) - so I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to do the same on a NUC. It does require the Java runtime to also be installed. Plus, to configure remotely, you need to install its own configuration software (MinimWatch) on the other machine, rather than configure it via a web browser.

BTW, try not to think that UPnP renderers can somehow be served like a DAC connected to an audio system by a 'traditional' computer based music server running audio file playing software. Hence don't expect "Music Server experts" to know anything about UPnP media servers.

Also, you'll likely get more relevant replies if you post any UPnP/DLNA streaming related queries in the 'Networking, Networked Audio and Streaming' section, rather the 'Music Servers' section.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

6 hours ago, Cebolla said:

I don't get the question, especially with you referring to those UPnP renderers. I believe what you are actually after is a UPnP media server.

Hi, yes per the OP I’m looking for a UPnP server install  that specifically plays to those UPnP renderers I mentioned in the OP.

I know about Minim but as per my OP, I don’t want to go through a Ubuntu install (or similar).

As per the OP, it needs to be a USB bootable install and operation , all headless.

All the suggested replies so far tick all the boxes so I assume the question was clear to all those people . All replies with suggestions have been highly relevant too...

Many thanks again

None of the suggestions so far provide a native UPnP/DLNA media server, apart from Volumio. Even then, Volumio is intended to be mainly used as a UPnP renderer in its own right, with the built-in UPnP/DLNA media server, MiniDLNA, provided as an afterthought/convenience for those that wish to run an all in one device - so don't expect any serious support for it.

VortexBox, Daphile and any other distro that contains the Logitech Media Server (normally used with Squeezebox type streamers) may well prove problematic. LMS is not a native UPnP/DLNA media server and requires the long unsupported old UPnP/DLNA Media Interface LMS plugin to be enabled to provide a true UPnP media server.

Alternatively, using LMS with the excellent UPnPBridge LMS plugin would normally allow you to connect a UPnP renderer and therefore use the UPnP renderer as if it were a Squeezebox. However, specifically HQPlayerd has problems being used as a UPnP renderer with the UPnPBridge plugin  - @shadowlighthas recently given up trying:

The MPD + Upmpdcli (another UPnP renderer) based suggestions still require you to somehow install and run a UPnP/DLNA media server.

The Wtfplay suggestion - never heard of this audio file player having anything to do with UPnP streaming!

Since you have already mentioned the DietPi distro - have you thought about installing MinimServer on DietPi? DietPi is supposed to be Debian based like Raspbian - see:

DietPi/Fuzon Forums - MinimServer on DietPi

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

30 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

Since you have already mentioned the DietPi distro - have you thought about installing MinimServer on DietPi? DietPi is supposed to be Debian based like Raspbian - see:

Wow lots of valuable feedback there - thanks heaps.

I am comfortable with DietPi installs but to throw another spanner in the works, DietPi for PC/NUC is only beta at this stage. Other than that, the MinimServer solution should work well. I know DietPi support is very good though, if any issues came up.

Plain Linux with MinimServer on it is a good way to go. Another option here is using a NAS to run it, that way you get easier install and embedded storage.

@Cebolla what are the issues using LMS as a UPnP Media Server? I continue to use VB day-to-day as I still use the LMS ecosystem, but the UPnP server still pops up when I happen to do a UPnP scan.

bliss - fully automated music organizer. Read the music library management blog.

5 minutes ago, Dan Gravell said:

Plain Linux with MinimServer on it is a good way to go

Noted but as per the original post, I want a simple USB bootable install, using a bootable image like the others mentioned. Rather than a typical Linux install. If I was confident with installing plain Linux I'd probably not need this thread as I would have jumped to MinimServer immediately.

DietPi is about as 'involved' as I want to get with an install. So that's still an option (installing MiniServer via DietPi as  @Cebollasuggested).

5 hours ago, Dan Gravell said:

@Cebolla what are the issues using LMS as a UPnP Media Server? I continue to use VB day-to-day as I still use the LMS ecosystem, but the UPnP server still pops up when I happen to do a UPnP scan.

It's quite buggy, the issues range from not working at all, to not allowing basic playback functions to work properly (especially pause) and depends on the UPnP renderer & control point you are using it with. If you don't require LMS's default UPnP media server to appear on your network, you can disable it by unticking the UPnP/DLNA Media Interface plugin, in LMS's plugin settings page.

The Whitebear Media Server / Renderer helper software works much better than the UPnP/DLNA Media Interface plugin at providing LMS with a working UPnP/DLNA media server front end, but unfortunately it runs as a separate application and only on Windows:

http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver

-- Jo Cox

The easiest and most reliable have found are Volumio, Daphile and Snakeoil-OS.  Snakeoil gives you the option use either MPD or LMS, but also allows you to install Clementine, JRiver Media Center and operate them from a VPN client.

Snakeoil can actually be installed on a hard drive, improving the sound quite a bit.  Volumio x86/x64 does not include an installer at this point but you can burn the iso to an exFAT-formatted hard drive and use it that way.

Daphile is a good option, very well designed and easy to use.  Can also be installed to hard drive.

Those are three pretty decent options that involve almost no Linux skills and afford very good sound.

19 hours ago, zackthedog said:

Those are three pretty decent options that involve almost no Linux skills and afford very good sound.

Whether a distro's as an audio file player produces a good sound is irrelevant as far its provision of a UPnP/DLNA media server is concerned. UPnP/DLNA media servers do not play audio files - they just provide them for other devices on the network (ie, UPnP renderers) to play them.

-- Jo Cox

The OP is looking for a USB bootable distro for the Intel NUC that comes specifically with a headless autostarting UPnP/DLNA media server, or is capable of having one easily installed, to provide audio files over the network for standard UPnP renderers.

Are you certain this is also what you require?

-- Jo Cox

21 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

The OP is looking for a USB bootable distro for the Intel NUC that comes specifically with a headless autostarting UPnP/DLNA media server, or is capable of having one easily installed, to provide audio files over the network for standard UPnP renderers.

Are you certain this is also what you require?

Is this a question for me? 

If so, yes... nothing's changed in that regard.

Quite a few suggestions so far look to fit the bill.

Hey OP, aren't you finding a server than is capable of DSD512? As far as I know, Linux of many flavours outputs via ALSA but ALSA needs to be certain version.

Volumio has claimed to have native DSD512, so maybe stick with them for the time being. A USB stick working perhaps 24/7 may give off a lot of heat...?  I would question the the long term reliability and venture to go with any Volumio compatible computer with a hard disk :)

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

41 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Hey OP, aren't you finding a server than is capable of DSD512? As far as I know, Linux of many flavours outputs via ALSA but ALSA needs to be certain version.

Volumio has claimed to have native DSD512, so maybe stick with them for the time being. A USB stick working perhaps 24/7 may give off a lot of heat...?  I would question the the long term reliability and venture to go with any Volumio compatible computer with a hard disk :)

Hi One and a half

No, DSD512 isn't required. This Intel NUC wouldn't have the power anyway. Just bit perfect playback is required for this NUC - no up-sampling, no DSP required at all for this server. It doesn't surprise me that they can support DSD512, since DietPi and others do too.

Yep I mentioned Volumio in the 2nd post.

Looking at the change log for their PC image/OS, it looks like they keep it updated and supported, which is always a good.

https://volumio.org/forum/changelog-t1575.html

Linux kernel looks up to date.

1 hour ago, Em2016 said:

Is this a question for me?

My apologies, Em2016 - took OP to mean original poster (rather than original post), didn't look at the member avatar/name properly and thought some one else was posting!

Please ignore.

-- Jo Cox