IGNORED

Article: Some Excellent CA Finds For You

Chris, thansk for checking out Qobuz for the rest of us, it's greatly appreciated. Much has been said about the content limitations of Qobuz. Most comments seemed to indicate that their library leans very heavily towards classical, and a lot of European (and possibly other) jazz. My concern was whether Qobuz offered the depth of, rock in all its types, alternative, folk, ambient, and other general music available on Tidal. 

I would love to know if there is a truly viable alternative to Tidal, with comparable music depth in its library,  given Tidal's precarious situation. 

JC

56 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

Chris, thansk for checking out Qobuz for the rest of us, it's greatly appreciated. Much has been said about the content limitations of Qobuz. Most comments seemed to indicate that their library leans very heavily towards classical, and a lot of European (and possibly other) jazz. My concern was whether Qobuz offered the depth of, rock in all its types, alternative, folk, ambient, and other general music available on Tidal. 

I would love to know if there is a truly viable alternative to Tidal, with comparable music depth in its library,  given Tidal's precarious situation. 

JC

No guarantees Qobuz will stick around either. They basically went bankrupt and were saved at the last minute by new investors. Supposedly the management is better now and they are expanding. 

Whether that means the losses have stopped is another story. I don't think we can be at all sure any of these smaller players will stick around. Spotify may be "too big to fail" at this point. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Chris:

do you think either of these products could work as a way to use a Dragonfly Red with an iPhone 8+ in a car? 

I just got a new car last week, and in the new 2018 model, there no longer is a 2.5mm audio in jack (my 2015 model had one). Thus, I am now limited to a single USB in for audio in my new car. 

In my last car, I was able to use the Apple camera kit with the Audioquest Red and then use a 2.5mm cable from Audioquest into the 2.5mm audio in jack. (Streaming Tidal via my iPhone via the Tidal iOS app). 

If anyone else has any thoughts how I can now (with a USB in only) use the Audioquest Red with my iPhone in my car, please feel free to chime in!! 

1 hour ago, agladstone said:

Chris:

do you think either of these products could work as a way to use a Dragonfly Red with an iPhone 8+ in a car? 

I just got a new car last week, and in the new 2018 model, there no longer is a 2.5mm audio in jack (my 2015 model had one). Thus, I am now limited to a single USB in for audio in my new car. 

In my last car, I was able to use the Apple camera kit with the Audioquest Red and then use a 2.5mm cable from Audioquest into the 2.5mm audio in jack. (Streaming Tidal via my iPhone via the Tidal iOS app). 

If anyone else has any thoughts how I can now (with a USB in only) use the Audioquest Red with my iPhone in my car, please feel free to chime in!! 

Hmmm. I think you’re out of luck. With digital input only (via USB) there isn’t anything you can do. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

18 hours ago, firedog said:

Whether that means the losses have stopped is another story. 

https://www.rtbf.be/culture/pop-up/detail_qobuz-prepare-son-arrivee-aux-etats-unis?id=9772232

"Qobuz has a turnover of 9.1 million euros for 2016-2017 and a negative gross operating result of 4.8 million euros.

He expects to achieve profitability in 2020-2021 with a turnover target of 108 million euros."

2 hours ago, Em2016 said:

https://www.rtbf.be/culture/pop-up/detail_qobuz-prepare-son-arrivee-aux-etats-unis?id=9772232

"Qobuz has a turnover of 9.1 million euros for 2016-2017 and a negative gross operating result of 4.8 million euros.

He expects to achieve profitability in 2020-2021 with a turnover target of 108 million euros."

Expects, love that, it's almost trying to say guarantee, without sounding like a snake oil salesman. For now every euro they earn, half of it is lost. This business doesn't correspond to a cyclic change like agriculture where rains determine the cycle. It's just steady losses on a flawed model. For now it works, make the most of it, I suppose.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

3 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Expects is the key word. And what does Qobuz expect if their foray into the American market is a failure? 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

8 minutes ago, firedog said:

Expects is the key word. And what does Qobuz expect if their foray into the American market is a failure? 

Expects means they have a plan (whether good or not) and means are happy to accept losses for the next ~ 3 years.

Mind you, with a new boss, their plans that were linked around the time of that forecast may have been turned upside down since then. It's a dynamic world. 

The best advice is just to listen to as much as you can, as quickly as practicably possible ?

7 hours ago, agladstone said:

Chris:

AQ has Dragon Tail USB connector

14 hours ago, agladstone said:

Chris:

For a car, I would recommend Bluetooth. Your 2018 car should have that, possibly Apple’s own integration as well. If your car supports AAC Bluetooth you should be fine quality-wise. If it doesn’t but does have an Audio In jack, I would recommend getting an AAC Bluetooth Receiver. The best setup is possibly one where you have an iPhone holder with wireless charging and you connect over Bluetooth to your car’s audio system.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

12 hours ago, bobflood said:

Roon is talking to Qobuz about integration similar to what they have with Tidal. No guarantee that they will come to an agreement but it sure would be great for us.

Would be great for Roon as well. And bad for MQA Ltd.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

On 7/7/2018 at 9:07 PM, lasker98 said:

That's an amazing new album from Lucinda Williams and Charles Lloyd. I hadn't heard of him before hearing this. I thought it was a pretty groundbreaking collaboration. There was a track ("Unsuffer Me", probably my current favourite track off the cd so far) posted in the Song of the Day thread last week. Here's a link with some more info in case anyone's interested:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/06/jazz-icon-charles-lloyd-leads-lucinda-williams-int.html

I also enjoy this new album from Lucinda Williams and Charles Lloyd. Music performed by "real" musicians  and also a great sounding production for my hi-fi system.

Her are another album that are much in the same landscape. Great playing and also with a reference production and extremely open nice sound .

https://listen.tidal.com/album/85034891

http://www.adammiller.com.au

Auralic Aries G2 - Kii Control -  Kii Three active speakers -  OPPO BDP 95 - Clearaudio Concept turtable / AT-33 PTG II pu /Clearaudio Maestro Wood pu - Rega Fono MC riaa / Musical Surrondings riaa

Head-fi:

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro - Shure SE846w/Silver Dragon - Chord Mojo

3 hours ago, atletico said:

I also enjoy this new album from Lucinda Williams and Charles Lloyd. Music performed by "real" musicians  and also a great sounding production for my hi-fi system.

Her are another album that are much in the same landscape. Great playing and also with a reference production and extremely open nice sound .

https://listen.tidal.com/album/85034891

http://www.adammiller.com.au

Great recommendation, love it.  Thanks

Chris, thanks for the heads up on the Lloyd/Williams album, I'll pick this up immediately.  Huge fan of Charles' work here.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Thanks to Darko Audio, I found out that the Chromecast Audio now works as a Roon endpoint with a reasonable sound quality for the $35 it costs. Another post on Darko outlines how the SQ can be improved with a high res setting for the Chromecast, an IFi 5v power supply and a connection cable that has an internet cable connection as well. The outcome is pretty good so for $100 you get a good Roon endpoint with some flexibility as well for future applications. Thanks Darko !!!

darko.audio

The adaptor comes from UGreen, Ethernet adaptor for Chromecast with power supply, available on Amazon for about $18

Roon NUC I3 w 2500 albums, microRendu to Liberty DAC, Pass DIY Amp class amp, Klipsch RP600 or to Schiit Freya + Gumby MB, Sanders ESL amps and speakers, Mjolnir KGST and Stax L700

5 hours ago, diw said:

Thanks to Darko Audio, I found out that the Chromecast Audio now works as a Roon endpoint with a reasonable sound quality for the $35 it costs. Another post on Darko outlines how the SQ can be improved with a high res setting for the Chromecast, an IFi 5v power supply and a connection cable that has an internet cable connection as well. The outcome is pretty good so for $100 you get a good Roon endpoint with some flexibility as well for future applications. Thanks Darko !!!

darko.audio

The adaptor comes from UGreen, Ethernet adaptor for Chromecast with power supply, available on Amazon for about $18

Perhaps you miss our article about $7.99 Roon Ready endpoints a while back. No sample rate limitations like the Chromecast. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On 7/10/2018 at 6:02 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Perhaps you miss our article about $7.99 Roon Ready endpoints a while back. No sample rate limitations like the Chromecast. 

NO, I remember that article but it also said that the Nano was a geek challenge....accordingly to the Darko post the Chromecast now passes 24/96 so maybe there is a new version....it also gives you some options...at its simplest it passes an analog output from wifi, at its best rate it passes 24/96 via Toslink from an ethernet connection....and sometimes life is too short to geek about saving $20 in favour of plug'n'play. Still , lots of choices!!

On 7/10/2018 at 6:02 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Roon NUC I3 w 2500 albums, microRendu to Liberty DAC, Pass DIY Amp class amp, Klipsch RP600 or to Schiit Freya + Gumby MB, Sanders ESL amps and speakers, Mjolnir KGST and Stax L700