IGNORED

iFi iPurifier3.0 (official) - Even purer.

Even Purer - iPurifier3.0

1.thumb.jpg.0bdba95bf3666c1ac4e917a56962d975.jpg

Introduction

Right from the outset, one of iFi audio’s key objectives has been to reduce the noise and degradation that can build up as music, copied to a digital format, passes through a USB audio chain. The iPurifier3 encapsulates everything the company has achieved to this end and throws in a host of new features.

Pure Obsession

In 2012, iFi invented the first USB power regenerator – iUSB Power. Soon afterwards it designed and manufactured its own professional USB audio cables – Mercury and Gemini. Then came the original iPurifier, followed in 2015 by iPurifier2 and now the iPurifier3.

Bigger in size but still only 69(l) x 19(w) x 20(h)mm, the iPurifier3 is packed with new components, not least of which is a further optimised version of its award-winning ANC® (Active Noise Cancellation) system adapted from military radar defence technology. Other additions include:

·         OS-CON capacitors – these have a low Equivalent Series Resistance (ESR), excellent noise reduction capability, ideal frequency characteristics and a long life span.

·         Tantalum capacitors – these polarised electrolytic capacitors have superior frequency and stability characteristics, giving them a super high volumetric efficiency. 

·         High-precision MELF resistors – metal electrode leadless face resistors have excellent accuracy, stability, reliability, and pulse load capability.

·         New copper-alloy shielding – this excellent EMI shielding isolates devices and cables to block radio frequency electromagnetic radiation.

Please note that the iPurifier3 Type B will be available from Thursday 5th July 2018. The iPurifier3 Type A will be available from the end of July 2018.

How it works

iFi’s ANC2® system is the key here. Emulating the way in which air defence radar technology works, it identifies noise frequencies then generates identical but opposite frequencies, which actively cancel all the incoming noise. In comparison to the Common Noise Filter, ANC decreases noise by 100 times – that’s 40dB – thereby enhancing the fidelity of background and inner resolution of audio recordings by several levels.

2.thumb.png.948b0eafe450964b26883105d3f1aa29.png 

Another core element is REbalance®, which removes the DC offset in a USB audio signal to ‘re-balance’ it. This noticeably decreases the threshold of background noise and helps to achieve an overall noise reduction of 40dB on the input signal and a levelling from 100mV to 5mV on the audio band through the USB signal. Then there is REclock®. Made for all downstream DACs, REclock® is a ‘3-in-1’ feature that re-clocks, re-generates and repeats the USB audio data stream to eliminate jitter.

Future proofing

iFi benefits greatly from the breakthroughs in ‘ultra-fidelity’ audio made by its sister company Abbingdon Music Research, launched in 2001. Both companies are ahead of the pack when it comes to new high-resolution formats such as PCM, DSD and DXD. The iPurifier3 will improve your audio playback experience for many years to come.

The retail price of the iPurifer3.0 is US$129 (ex-tax) or €149/£129 (incl. VAT).

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

What does it sound like with a Black Label Micro - is it a worthwhile improvement?

System (i): Stack Audio Link > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

3 hours ago, Richard Dale said:

What does it sound like with a Black Label Micro - is it a worthwhile improvement?

iPurifier3.0 doesn't have a sound of its own as it improves a DAC you connect it to. Micro BL actually has a lite version of iPurifier inside, thus the latest standalone version - iPurifier3.0 - should net audible benefit. Our returns policy is generous so please feel free to contact your local iFi representative and try this product in your setup, that's the best way!

• 1 month later...

Hello, I am waiting for one by the end of August and I will post my findings with the micro iDSD Black Label and the ifi Pro iDSD,. In the Pro iDSD is more by curiosity because it has until now shown imune to noise.

I own the iPurifier 2 type A and B, só comparing the two will be perfect to understand the evolution gain from version 3.

20 hours ago, applesnowleo said:

Hello, I am waiting for one by the end of August and I will post my findings with the micro iDSD Black Label and the ifi Pro iDSD,. In the Pro iDSD is more by curiosity because it has until now shown imune to noise.

I own the iPurifier 2 type A and B, só comparing the two will be perfect to understand the evolution gain from version 3.

Please do let us know about your findings!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2018 at 9:25 PM, AMR/iFi audio said:

Please do let us know about your findings!

I posted some info here, I am letting it play for a few days without great attention to him, but you made it better and that’s perceptible when compared to version 2, when connected to the iDSD pro version 2 in the middle did not work very well, It degraded in my system the sound, iPurifier 3 did not show this behavior,  you have a lot better product now.

This issue is not present on the Micro iDSD Black Label or xDSD, the two like iPurifier 2 and even more iPurifier 3, so the combination with them could bring a lot more to their perceived value to their owners. This small good looking well build iPurifier products are very good.

On 8/9/2018 at 4:54 PM, applesnowleo said:

You feel the ipurifier3 makes a significant difference to pro Idsd?

Alienware R7 with Paul Pang V2 USB PCIE -> iFi Pro iDSD -> McIntosh MHA100 -> Hifiman Susvara. Keeping it simple!

5 minutes ago, gordec said:

You feel the ipurifier3 makes a significant difference to pro Idsd?

In my case for the Pro iDSD I did not find it necessary, what I did find compared with iPurifier 2 is that iPurifier 2 on the pro did make me loose some of the clarity, the iPurifier 3 did not it was like had no degrading at all, so much better than the version 2.

where I use it in on my micro iDSD Black Label, it took the place of the iPurifier 2, and with the micro black the results where much better, for me they bettered all aspects of the iPurifier 3 and for a lot os users could be a awesome upgrade to the nano and micro line, for the Pro iDSD and again in my case and in my system I did not find the need for it, I have a micro iUSB 3.0 with a linear power supply, and also an audioquest nigara, the iPurifier 3 did not made any difference or degraded the sound, it simply passed the signal.

But not all systems are equal, every computer, cable, speaker, streamer, amplifier, or amplified speakers have their own personality and problems, even the electricity problems in one building could variate to another, so take every review with a grain of salt, and all opinions are in a personal preference and system context.

if possible try if you can, your findings could also help other users.

6 minutes ago, applesnowleo said:

In my case for the Pro iDSD I did not find it necessary, what I did find compared with iPurifier 2 is that iPurifier 2 on the pro did make me loose some of the clarity, the iPurifier 3 did not it was like had no degrading at all, so much better than the version 2.

where I use it in on my micro iDSD Black Label, it took the place of the iPurifier 2, and with the micro black the results where much better, for me they bettered all aspects of the iPurifier 3 and for a lot os users could be a awesome upgrade to the nano and micro line, for the Pro iDSD and again in my case and in my system I did not find the need for it, I have a micro iUSB 3.0 with a linear power supply, and also an audioquest nigara, the iPurifier 3 did not made any difference or degraded the sound, it simply passed the signal.

But not all systems are equal, every computer, cable, speaker, streamer, amplifier, or amplified speakers have their own personality and problems, even the electricity problems in one building could variate to another, so take every review with a grain of salt, and all opinions are in a personal preference and system context.

if possible try if you can, your findings could also help other users.

Cool. All I have right now is an iSilencer plugged into PP V2 USB card feeding the iDSD. Maybe I can use another item in the chain. I guess you are as clean as your ear can hear with micro iUSB 3 in the middle. Pro iDSD has basically an iUSB built in.

Alienware R7 with Paul Pang V2 USB PCIE -> iFi Pro iDSD -> McIntosh MHA100 -> Hifiman Susvara. Keeping it simple!

2 hours ago, gordec said:

Cool. All I have right now is an iSilencer plugged into PP V2 USB card feeding the iDSD. Maybe I can use another item in the chain. I guess you are as clean as your ear can hear with micro iUSB 3 in the middle. Pro iDSD has basically an iUSB built in.

I have invested significantly in the power and noise accessories in the last year,  started with audioquest power cables to the audioquest nigara and some iFi accessories and linear power supply’s..

The audioquest nigara was an impressive upgrade, It cleaned a lot, and I mean a lot... It’s almost very strange the effect it made because it removed a big clowd in front of the speakers. The conclusion I took very easily is that controlling power and noise offered me great musical rewards.

A diferent way of saying the same, controlling the power and noise wil not upgrade the components you already own, instead will let them show you what they really capable of and you didn’t know.

iFI solutions for noise removal bring results way beyond their price, I consider them a real bargain from their build quality to the results they bring.

Some devices translate this effect more clearly than others, I find the Pro iDSD to be imune to noise, But take in to account that a good quality usb cable makes him show a lot more.

15 hours ago, applesnowleo said:

I have invested significantly in the power and noise accessories in the last year,  started with audioquest power cables to the audioquest nigara and some iFi accessories and linear power supply’s..

The audioquest nigara was an impressive upgrade, It cleaned a lot, and I mean a lot... It’s almost very strange the effect it made because it removed a big clowd in front of the speakers. The conclusion I took very easily is that controlling power and noise offered me great musical rewards.

A diferent way of saying the same, controlling the power and noise wil not upgrade the components you already own, instead will let them show you what they really capable of and you didn’t know.

iFI solutions for noise removal bring results way beyond their price, I consider them a real bargain from their build quality to the results they bring.

Some devices translate this effect more clearly than others, I find the Pro iDSD to be imune to noise, But take in to account that a good quality usb cable makes him show a lot more.

I feel so far nothing has really made a really dramatic difference to my chain. I have a Furman reference 15 borrowed from a friend. No difference in sound. I don't think the iSilencer does anything, but I already have it so I'm using it. I'm currently using a Pangea solid silver USB (out of production). It sounds the same as all other USB cables I have. The Paul Pang v2 with ifi ipower cable does sound better than the regular motherboard USB but not monumental difference. I think I'm done for a while. iDSD->MHA100-> Susvara sounds spectacular. 

• 2 weeks later...

A small review and personal opinion.

I became addict of the iPurifier when it fist brought it to my first edition iFi Micro iDSD, at the time I was discovering the iFi Products, and the iPurifier was an interesting product then in price and quality.

The original changed the sound signature of my system in a positive way, giving me more information and after that I brought the original Micro iUSB, but with the micro iUSB I also purchased the iPurifier 2, and they work paired giving me a lot or more information and dynamics, better sense of dimension with the harman kardon GLA-55, the effect was present in texture, better highs and lows, better small dynamic perception.

This small changes that sometimes when reading could be interpreted as big and that your system changes completely, but they are not in the magnitude of the words, but the words used are a good guide to focus a user in the perceptible changes in an easy to better evaluate the perceived benefits , for me in the way they work are in a magnitude way bigger than the 100 euros could give.

But this review is not about the iPurifier 2, instead the new iPurifier 3.

The iPurifier 3 is a USB gadget that reclocks, regenerates and has a rebalance tech, it incorporates a active noise cancelation technology that works impressively, a revised and upgraded version of the last itineration of their iPurifier 2 I also own, as always the unbox experience of the package from iFi products is very special.

The little package comes with a lot of extras and no one will indifferent of the construction quality of the iPurifier 3, it’s a rewarding hardware tech marvel.

Ifi upgraded all the internals resulting in a little bigger piece of hardware, there are new OS-CON capacitors, a new version of the noise canceling technology named “Active Noise Cancellation2® (ANC2)” and all the internals are better quality.

What about the iPurifier 3 in sound when compared to the 2.

The iPurifier 2 was a great product and it made an very good sonic upgrade, the iPurifier 3 feels a lot more refined, it has most the benefits form the iPurifier 3, but is more transparent, musical and natural, when connected to the system it does not have a defined personality, to explain I will try to explain the effect of the iPurifier 3 and the original iUSB, it added bass and highs noticeably, and when I connected to some of my higher quality and recent components like the iFi Pro iDSD version 2 gave a small veil in the sound. Notice that the iFi Pro iDSD does not need an iPurifier 2.

Anyway I tried the iPurifier 3 in my iFi iDSD pro to see if the same issue was present, and it was not, it simply cleaned the sound without any added issue, so this was an interesting test, the product has no degradation effect on the cables.

After that, as I brought it to the micro iDSD Black Label for my son I, removing the iPurifier 2 and connecting the iPurifier 3, it does give a more realistic and neutral musical presentation, also it really cleans more as some little sound are more perceptible like if o had sharpness to little details that where there but not so audible, the high frequencies are substantial more natural and less “irritating”, the lows are also more perceptible, and example is the Album Tubular Bells 3 from Mike Oldfield, the first track in the beginning has a bass that goes from left to right and right to left and that perception with the iPurifier 3 is a lot more defined and engages you more on the music track.

Also, the sound stage has benefits, as you gain small details and separation, you also gain in density of information, focus on all the dimensions of the soundstage and a global better enjoyment of your music.

Reading all the above and buying the iPurifier 3 is a no brainer if you have a system transparent enough that could show changes in the whole, I used the iFi new Gemini 3.0 Cable and also an Audioquest Diamond, and the original version of the iFi Gemini.

As I have been upgrading my system a lot in the last year, every step comes with trades and benefits, my system has turned out to become more revealing each time, some hardware results very well other not that so. The iPurifier 3 made no degradation and gave me a more beneficial effect with the iDSD Black Label.

I have to give my regards to iFi as each itineration of their product line, has been really an upgrade from the last, the iPurifier 3 deserves a very good listen.

IMG_9359.jpg

IMG_9361.jpg

IMG_9365.jpg

IMG_9369.jpg

IMG_9371.jpg

IMG_9376.jpg

IMG_9396.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 1/7/2019 at 9:15 PM, Chiler54 said:

With a USB A male input and a USB B male output, you would not need a USB cable anymore!
So please build IFI !!!

Can you please clarify? You'd like to have this only between two products, yes?