IGNORED

Stepped Attenuator failure

Hello,

Need to consult, first time user on this forum and received two stepped attenuators yesterday from Chicago Electronics.  I purchased two of them but one is defective I believe.  One works well while the other has a problem with the left channel with no output.

System connection:  RPI with DigiOne -->RCA-->DAC-->Right channel -->Stepped attenuator IN (R)            Stepped attenuator O (R) --> amp input R

-->GND-->GND (R)

-->Left channel -->Stepped attenuator IN (L)               Stepped attenuator O (L) --> amp input L

-->GND-->GND (L)

Tried swapping the working right channel input to the left channel of the stepped atteunuator, but still no output on left.  Measured stepped attenuator Left IN to gnd, ok @ 10K ohms on all positions while output to gnd corresponds to various Resistance value at each step.  Right channel measures identically for practical purposes.

There is one suspicious measurement - GND (R) to GND (L) measures 10K ohm in any switch positions.   Shouldn't this be at infinite?  There shouldn't be any connection to each GND?  The other good attenuator measures infinite.

DACgy

Likely the opposite of infinite- zero. Wired backwards perhaps if using 10K pots? A picture is worth the effort. Debugging verbally is/can be awful.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

That is very interesting, that makes logical sense.  Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, that is a 10K version.  So if this is the case,  it may be the only wiring in there (green & black) may be soldered incorrectly at the wrong points.  It's a bit difficult to inspect since all parts are soldered tightly.

I will try an get a return authorization from Chicago Electronics but fine prints says I will have to consult Allo engineers here at the forum and try to resolve issues first.  But I don't think I want to desolder a defective unit to correct it's fault since it was new and unused from factory.

15 hours ago, DACgy said:

Hello,

Need to consult, first time user on this forum and received two stepped attenuators yesterday from Chicago Electronics.  I purchased two of them but one is defective I believe.  One works well while the other has a problem with the left channel with no output.

System connection:  RPI with DigiOne -->RCA-->DAC-->Right channel -->Stepped attenuator IN (R)            Stepped attenuator O (R) --> amp input R

-->GND-->GND (R)

-->Left channel -->Stepped attenuator IN (L)               Stepped attenuator O (L) --> amp input L

-->GND-->GND (L)

Tried swapping the working right channel input to the left channel of the stepped atteunuator, but still no output on left.  Measured stepped attenuator Left IN to gnd, ok @ 10K ohms on all positions while output to gnd corresponds to various Resistance value at each step.  Right channel measures identically for practical purposes.

There is one suspicious measurement - GND (R) to GND (L) measures 10K ohm in any switch positions.   Shouldn't this be at infinite?  There shouldn't be any connection to each GND?  The other good attenuator measures infinite.

DACgy

Resistance measurement  , stepped attenuator GND(L) and GND(R) no connection on Stepped Attenuator unit. The GND is connecting common at Amplifier side / Dac side.

1) All wires disconnected case GND(L) & GND(R) infinitive - from your explanation this not meeting . clarify.

2) Resistance you can measure in between L (IN) and L(O) or L(GND) and L (O) , it will vary from  0 to 10k ,  L(IN) & L(GND) always 10k or near to 10k value.

Allo.com Tech. Support

Hello Allo,

The unit has miswiring:  Right portion is not isolated to Left portion.  Here are the measurements:

Left                         Right                       Measurements (Ohms)

GND                        GND                        10K               Any position

GND                        IN                              20K              Any position

GND                        OUT                          at Min = 10K   at Max = 20K

IN                             GND                         20K               Any position

IN                             IN                              10K                "

IN                             OUT                          @ Min = 2 ohms,  @ Max = 10K

OUT                        GND                           @ Min = 10k,  In between = various,  @ Max = 2 ohms

OUT                        IN                                @ Min = 20K,  In between = 12K to 19K,  @ Max = 10K

OUT                        OUT                           10K               Any position

Here are the photos attached.

IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

1 hour ago, DACgy said:

Hello Allo,

The unit has miswiring:  Right portion is not isolated to Left portion.  Here are the measurements:

Left                         Right                       Measurements (Ohms)

GND                        GND                        10K               Any position

GND                        IN                              20K              Any position

GND                        OUT                          at Min = 10K   at Max = 20K

IN                             GND                         20K               Any position

IN                             IN                              10K                "

IN                             OUT                          @ Min = 2 ohms,  @ Max = 10K

OUT                        GND                           @ Min = 10k,  In between = various,  @ Max = 2 ohms

OUT                        IN                                @ Min = 20K,  In between = 12K to 19K,  @ Max = 10K

OUT                        OUT                           10K               Any position

Here are the photos attached.

IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

Interesting device there. Is that some sort of rolled ribbon with resisters soldered on? I'd love to see a close up of it. Oh, I see it now. Little PCB. Neat!

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz