IGNORED

Lies about vinyl vs digital

13 hours ago, The_K-Man said:

But.... If the "flaw in the perceived sound" is a song or album that is a loudness-war casualty, no upgrade of listener equipment can fix that.  Nor can buying that song in 'hi-res'.  If it's an over-compressed 🦆 it's an over-compressed 🦆!

Just making sure all the audiophiles out there understand that.

I have already said many times that extreme loudness-war efforts are the hardest to 'tame' - there are a number of relevant factors:

• Real life music is never so dynamically squashed, so emotionally these sort of recordings can be hard to deal with - and the more accurate the system the worse this gets; fatigue from dealing with the artificial intensity sets in quickly; IT'S LIKE DEALING WITH THIS SORT OF SENSORY INPUT !!!
  • A rig will always have more problems replaying compressed music, everything else being equal, because the power supplies, etc, are being worked harder; the average sound levels are higher which means the circuitry is working closer to the areas where any issues will be more obvious
  • A genuine solution is to uncompress what's been delivered to you as the recording - do a one time, professional quality undoing of this 'bad' mastering, save it, and never play the original again ...
13 hours ago, STC said:

Some truly believe they could do just that even with a $10 driver. It is an amazing hobby with so diverse beliefs that cannot bee seen anywhere else.  

Not that much is gained with the $300 variety, if it's just a dynamic unit - an experience a couple of years ago where the drivers were the top of the range Scan-Speak ones didn't knock me off my chair - the same system issues as always dominated, and any 'specialness' gained by using premium quality drivers was lost ...

Dynamic drivers, especially cheaper ones, have fidelity issues because of the intrinsic crudeness of the suspension system - this is why the alternatives often do better in a quick comparison. But if one knows how to get the most out of them, they do do an excellent job.

2 hours ago, kumakuma said:

No, pretty well everyone here, with the possible exception of Frank, understands GIGO.

When I listen to a 'normal' rig, it's obvious why most people think like this. It's like driving a car with a rock hard suspension, where getting around a corner fast is everything; and that makes driving normally in just about all areas of the road network everything from mildly unpleasant, to excrutiatingly uncomfortable.

24 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

I have "normal" equipment. Excellent recordings sound excellent, good recordings should good, and shitty recordings sound like shit.

Depends on the type of "shittiness" - the worst is extremely dynamic compression, which can make it sound as if the music is constantly shouting at you; but you won't actually pick it as being distorted.

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

When I listen to a 'normal' rig, it's obvious why most people think like this. It's like driving a car with a rock hard suspension, where getting around a corner fast is everything; and that makes driving normally in just about all areas of the road network everything from mildly unpleasant, to excrutiatingly uncomfortable.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but it's like owning a >10years old car, then changing over to a brand new one of the same make,. and realising just how many things aren't quite as good as the new model, mainly  due to aged components, including a higher engine noise level and the greater effect of road irregularities on the older car.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, Paul R said:

$129 set of loudspeakers has been known to be highly praised.

Yet to come across one. Not seen one in the many AV shows , the high fi reviews nor seen any of my audiophile circle using one. I would anytime trade off my Sound Lab for them if what you are saying is true. My other friend with the Utopia may be very interested since he is not happy with them. ;) 

12 minutes ago, Paul R said:

This then shows how little you pay attention to things that do not fit into your tunnel vision hope of how things should be.

Also exposes how false your justification for unbridled arrogance is as well.  

https://www.stereophile.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-loudspeaker

https://www.cnet.com/profiles/theaudiophiliac/

You can find plenty more for yourself, if you take a few minutes to look. I honestly do not care if you do or not however.  

You can find good speakers at any price range. There are compromises, yes. But there are compromises with $200k speakers too. 

I suppose there is a long queue people waiting to listen to this setup. 

In case if you are reading to understand instead of replying, I am referring to fidelity. No one here is telling cheap system cannot sound good. 

The problem is claiming that the said pioneer can sound as good as a Wilson or Utopia is sheer ignorance. 

10 minutes ago, Paul R said:

It is always interesting to watch how you change what you say when pressed, trying to weasel around to impress people.  To be brief, I said no such thing, and your deflection is inane. 

I will say this, however. To the person out there with a $750 budget and high hopes of audiophile sound, those Pioneers will sound better than a Wilson - because they will be sitting in his listening room making great music for him.  And that is something I think most people will agree with. And I seriously doubt they will buy into someone telling them they are not an audiophile because of it, or that as they learn, they will not find ways to make those little speakers and their entire system sing. Frank is absolutely correct about that, any system can be made to do its best with time and care.

I really hope this hypothetical person I am talking about reads good reviews of affordable gear and thinks, I don't have to spend a year's salary to get audiophile quality! I can start here , with  these!

Maybe someday that chap will buy a pair of Wilsons, or better yet, a set of Magnepans or Harbeths. Or whatever he really wants. If and when he does, I certainly hope it will be because he has decided he really wants them, and not because someone has tried to shame him.  Or boost their own self-image by denigrating his.  

[Edit] And oh, yes, you suppose correctly. Far more people bought those little Pioneers (thank you Andrew Jones!) than bought Wilsons. And the follow up ELACs too, I expect. Heck, I and a least a few other people here own or owned a pair. 

I think you are easy to understand, you are interested only in promoting yourself as some kind of expert, but your lack of expertise usually shows through quickly enough. 

Ok. 

2 minutes ago, The_K-Man said:

But can you hear it - wayyyyyy up there?

I'm convinced: Inside every audiophile is a DOG.

internet_dog.jpg.f096da1ac675474b1c32d774c2bcdaac.jpg

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

42 minutes ago, rvb said:

Nowadays you can see the sound. 

1st is vinyl recording 24/96

2nd is cd

3rd is 24/96 -> 16/44

gillespie-frelimo.thumb.jpg.857070a91103d225718572731aa794dd.jpg

I'm guessing you didn't alter the size of the FFT used in your spectrogram when switching between sample rates.  That would explain the difference in appearance.  If you corrected the FFT size for each sample rate they likely would look the same. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

On 5/26/2019 at 2:08 AM, Paul R said:

I will say this, however. To the person out there with a $750 budget and high hopes of audiophile sound, those Pioneers will sound better than a Wilson - because they will be sitting in his listening room making great music for him.

So so true. Those "low fi" Grateful Dead tapes sound so so good because they key the brain into the memory of the  real thing ;) 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.