IGNORED

Lies about vinyl vs digital

Thanks for the warning about the equipment in your sig!  I'll be sure not to buy Sonore, Metrum, Lush, etc., as I'd have to kill myself if my beloved Placido Domingo recordings were made to sound like Bob Dylan!  omfg

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

12 minutes ago, hifitommy said:

davide....the lows in digital have a better chance of sounding superior to analog but the highs in RBCD,not, very hi-reZ much more so

What is "very hi-reZ"?

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

14 hours ago, Rexp said:

Wow since when did you prefer CD, i mean what changed? 

Just to clarify, I still enjoy and value vinyl, but not to the same degree as in the past.

First and foremost moving to a better DAC.  PCM via the integral SD card transport of my Resonessence Mirus DAC is something of a revelation, including  with plain old 16/44.  

I’ve also enjoyed using XXHE over the last year, brings a big  dynamic 3D sound similar in some respects to Vinyl, but with much more detail and nuance.  I’d like to try the NOS1a DAC sometime.

Finally,  there’s simply lots of well recorded music out there now on digital formats to discover and enjoy (mainly as a classical  listener) compared (inevitably) to a pretty much  unchanging  base of all-analogue classical vinyl.

7 hours ago, GUTB said:

Well I know for a really long time analog photography was considered better than digital. To me anyway the true power of photography was those huge landscapes / nature vista from those medium format cameras.

What triggers the specialness, as a feeling, is hugeness of the image along with detail. Say, a photograph of a scene on a large scale, and you can look at any part and see "everything that''s there" - there is no apparent point where it starts to blur ... an IMAX theatre showing, while all the opticals were still in pristine alignment generated that sensation; over a relatively short time frame the precision was lost, and then watching a movie on it was extremely irritating.

Hey!! That's sorta like how it works for audio ... :D, :P, ^_^.

6 hours ago, hifitommy said:

davide....the lows in digital have a better chance of sounding superior to analog but the highs in RBCD,not, very hi-reZ much more so.  this is most obvious as systems ascend the quality ladder.

i am encouraged to find others than myself concerned with syntax and spelling.  

Redbook recordings have 'perfect' midrange and treble encoded - but historically playbacks rigs have struggled to get this right ... digititus. I undertood what was going on 30 years ago, and have kept an eye on the industry ever since, to see when they would finally get their act together - still not there yet, you have to pay major money to get the components sorted enough to do the job ... give it time ...

The problem is lack of attention to detail, and clinging to what Authority Figures state is important, and largely disregarding all else. In the airline industry people die when this phliosophy is followed; in audio, everyone just has to put up with less than fully satisfying sound - so, it takes longer ...

What is important is a continuing journey, and there are no Set Rules - and everything gets messy when Big Money plays too big a part.

The recent Lion Air crash is turning into one of those - Boeing could be in very, very deep poo; with huge litigation action happening: looks like Boeing changed how that model of 737 flew, without telling the pilots! Which meant that when a part of the system malfunctioned, the pilots were incapable of reacting correctly - the manual was wrong!

Some pilots are getting pretty pissed about this, saying that the current corporate Boeing is a sad relative of the old engineering Boeing - which plane do you want to fly on, boys and girls ... ?

If you needed to have a license to be an audiophile you wouldn't have these kids buying $100 Chinese DACs hooked up to $200 powered speakers placed on a computer desk and calling themselves audiophiles. The reason why is because the licensing body would be made up of experienced audiophiles who know how to get good sound and who can prove it through a large body of work in the audiophile space. There may be some "engineers" who don't know the least bit about good sound but the majority of the body would set forth the licensing guidelines.

59 minutes ago, GUTB said:

the licensing body would be made up of experienced audiophiles who know how to get good sound and who can prove it through a large body of work in the audiophile space. 

I don't have a large body of work to speak of, but I'd like to be a member of the audiophile licensing body.  I promise to establish order and I will be ruthless. 

I'm looking at you Sal1950!!!

Me, Jay-Z and our group of gangsta' thugs from Tidal are coming to take your motorcycle and your audiophile membership.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

If you needed to have a license to be an audiophile you wouldn't have these kids buying $100 Chinese DACs hooked up to $200 powered speakers placed on a computer desk and calling themselves audiophiles. The reason why is because the licensing body would be made up of experienced audiophiles who know how to get good sound and who can prove it through a large body of work in the audiophile space. There may be some "engineers" who don't know the least bit about good sound but the majority of the body would set forth the licensing guidelines.

All licensing sucks (neurotypically speaking).

14 minutes ago, wgscott said:

(I have a Perspective in that issue, FWIW.)

Not seeing it, unless you've changed your name.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Yeah, Boeing may not be in business for much longer considering the severity of what they just did and the outcome. They literally did exactly what Frank said they did.  They installed a system that would take over when a particular set of circumstances were detected. Boeings excuse was, they didn't think the proper set of circumstances would ever exist.  Which then begs the question, Then why did you implement the system at all, followed by, why not tell the pilots flying the plane about it?  What happened?  Well, airspeed indicators failed. This meant the planes computers were unable to detect how fast the plane was flying, and this made the plane think it was stalling, ie: not flying fast enough to maintain flight and generate lift. So the new system that Boeing installed decided that its operation parameters of a stall condition without flaps deployed were met, and it took over and angled the nose down.  But this plane was flying normally, except that the airspeed indicators were giving incorrect readings, so this one nosedived right into the ground.

oops.

Aviation regulations are written in blood.  Audio is not.

No electron left behind.

3 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Yeah, Boeing may not be in business for much longer considering the severity of what they just did and the outcome.

C'mon, sh*t happens : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_Airlines_Flight_1951

The crash was caused primarily by the aircraft's automated reaction, which was triggered by a faulty radio altimeter. This caused the autothrottle to decrease the engine power to idle during approach. The crew noticed this too late to take appropriate action to increase the thrust and recover the aircraft before it stalled and crashed.[10] Boeing has since issued a bulletin to remind pilots of all 737 series and BBJ aircraft of the importance of monitoring airspeed and altitude, advising against the use of autopilot or autothrottle while landing in cases of radio altimeter discrepancies.[11]

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)