IGNORED

Lies about vinyl vs digital

4 minutes ago, GUTB said:

So....vinyl is intrinsically better?

Wow, the truth FINALLY COMES OUT.

I hope you haven't watched the video.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

2 minutes ago, semente said:

I hope you haven't watched the video.

I watched the video. A crappy DR8 Redbook file got transformed into a DR12 vinyl cut by no other cause than being cut to vinyl. The fact he couldn’t hear that much a difference on his crappy digital system isn’t that relevant.

So he mastered the files and isn't sure why there is a 50% difference.  Okay,  but I often see vinyl releases measuring the same as the digital counterpart?

Does this mean that when I see this that the vinyl was mastered from a 50% less dynamic source?

On 7/30/2018 at 2:31 PM, semente said:

In this video you can hear/compare the different between a CD and a vinyl recorded made from the same digital file:

I don't dig it. Btw, this starts with the man being deaf - or better : his ignorance to the differences heard.

So I (too) know better than the man himself ? maybe.

It is not even easy to digest what he's really saying (starting at 4:50 into the video). At 5:25 he says "the file looked the same as the CD file you see here". Yeah ? prove it. What he shows or testifies here doesn't tell me a thing other than "error".

Where he explains the differences in "slope" (which really don't show vinyl characteristics but limiting in the CD version) he is just bland or flat or whatever the English for it, and accepts that he knows hiss profession but still doesn't know what he sees. Mind you, this is different from explaining it.

If it were for me, he forgets to interpret the difference between internal 40+ bits processing compared with the 24 bit end result, and the limiting allowing for the 0.001 whatever DB differences you can see when zoomed in on the slopes. Thus in 40 bits you see the better defined peaks and in 24 bits that difference has been flattened out. Something like that.

Digital is full with interpretation error and again, with his being ignorant to actual facts and let them be, he could make any kind of error without noticing.

There is just no single way the vinyl shows the "lively" song (which you can easily hear for its openness) from a plain flat file the CD version shows (as the so called base, though indirectly).

Btw, this digital (for what he says) does not sound crispier in the highs, but distorted.

More ignorant me.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

On 7/30/2018 at 4:46 PM, GUTB said:

I watched the video. A crappy DR8 Redbook file got transformed into a DR12 vinyl cut by no other cause than being cut to vinyl.

The video shows that the TT Dynamic Range meter can be fooled easily. This has been known for years. Take a file with DR10, run it through an all-pass filter, presto, it becomes DR15 (or whatever).

Does it sound better? Nope ...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Time and time again vinyl has been sweeter and smoother than digital. And the proof is in the engineering of storing and retrieving data. Cannot agree with science.

And please don't get me started with digital cameras and film cameras. Film photos is far superior in quality than digital's resolution -  any day

A very good comparison is a sketch artist

One draws a picture of a person based on data given by another person  - DIGITAL

Other draws a picture of the person from the person sitting right infront - ANALOG

Go figure which picture will be more accurate!!!!

Music after life

1 hour ago, ajay556 said:

Time and time again vinyl has been sweeter and smoother than digital. And the proof is in the engineering of storing and retrieving data. Cannot agree with science.

And please don't get me started with digital cameras and film cameras. Film photos is far superior in quality than digital's resolution -  any day

One draws a picture of a person based on data given by another person  - DIGITAL

Other draws a picture of the person from the person sitting right infront - ANALOG

Don't write off digital

If you are able to, download the attached as 3840 x 2160 .webm and see the difference, even when downsampled to be viewed on a 1080P monitor.

UHDTV 8K Video Ultra High Definition 7680x4320 - 8K Hub Ultra HD  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIAhOVpnD8g

P.S.

I use the free version of WinX YouTube Downloader.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

12 hours ago, ajay556 said:

The digital could have been sweeter than the vinyl, but for the mastering.  THAT's the difference you're hearing.

12 hours ago, sandyk said:

Don't write off digital

If you are able to, download the attached as 3840 x 2160 .webm and see the difference, even when downsampled to be viewed on a 1080P monitor.

UHDTV 8K Video Ultra High Definition 7680x4320 - 8K Hub Ultra HD  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIAhOVpnD8g

P.S.

I use the free version of WinX YouTube Downloader.

I find modern digital photos to be quite satisfactory. I have made 16 X 20 prints of some of my digital photos and they look very good. However I know that the difference between a 20 Megapixel Raw digital  image blown up to fit a 100" screen and a Kodachrome color slide projected with a Leitz Pradolux projector on the same 100" screen would favor the Kodachrome absolutely, the digital picture wouldn't suffer too badly! 

George

On 7/4/2018 at 3:30 AM, adamdea said:

As ever your contribution might as well have been scripted as demonstration that being an audiophile is less a hobby than a way of life based on the rigorous pursuit of nonsense, superstition and self regarding vanity.

Sounds like a particular orange politician I know...

No electron left behind.