IGNORED

Lies about vinyl vs digital

2 hours ago, The_K-Man said:

If you submit a master to iTunes Radio with an average level of +1.5dBfs - YES, it has been done - that service will politely apply -17.5dB of gain to make it as loud, within +-1dB, as all other submissions have been adjusted, to iTunes Radio's -16dBfs loudness standard.

youtube shows the level of applied normalization in "stats for nerds":

yt_vol_norm.thumb.png.fb8f898e795aa61a17db6f03b406d669.png

3 hours ago, esldude said:

I managed about 60 db below full scale.   Lawnmower running across the street or I might have gotten one more step.  Isn't out of line with similar noise added testing I've done.  Because of a stimulus closer to our peak hearing frequencies those net about 10 or 15 db lower before they aren't heard.  

Dithered 16 bit is enough for playback.  And few if any real recordings will actually tax that. 

Also that full scale noise between each voice over will limit what you can hear a little. I'm not sure if it is that common to have full scale signal right next to quiet parts in real music. On another page there is a test file without noise, so you can compare: https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_dithering.php

• 9 months later...
5 hours ago, The_K-Man said:

And you think getting that "dynamically crippled", "deliberately mangled" track off YouTube will make it any less so?   🤦‍♂️ 

Did you consider that a label could make 2 masters:

• one for youtube (and other streaming services), which has more dynamic range because the label has an incentive to do so due to youtube's normalization
  • one for CD, which has the usual loudness-war compression because there are no incentives to do anything better here
1 hour ago, The_K-Man said:

See my correction in caps, above.

I though that using "loudness-war" would clearly imply "dynamic" for everyone, but ok.

You are still confused about which kind of compression YouTube employs/utilizes.

I don't know where did you get the impression from that I'm confused.

Again, that would be DATA REDUCTION .. So I doubt the labels are providing separate masters for the streaming market.

Sorry, I don't follow the implication. I mean, I guess it's true but it is not the point I was making. Youtube does loudness normalization, so that's the incentive for less dynamic compression.

For example, on that "Shake It Off" video, right click on it, choose "Stats for nerds" and you'll see "Volume / Normalized: 100% / 59% (content loudness 4.6dB)". That means that youtube plays it at 60% of original volume (or 4.6 db quieter). The label could upload a version with less dynamic compression and it would actually sound louder.

27 minutes ago, The_K-Man said:

to make all audio... in uploaded videos the SAME loudness.

I'll give you that, I should have written "more dynamic" 😉

But:

27 minutes ago, The_K-Man said:

YouTube applies negative or positive gain

Youtube doesn't apply positive gain. Only spotify does that, AFAIK.

• 2 weeks later...