IGNORED

Lies about vinyl vs digital

GUTB, I think the hearing/SQ problem here is really with the batteries in your system.  I hate to say it but your batteries suck - at least for digital.  Don't try to cheap out on the batteries.  Get yourself some vanadium salt flow batteries and run the digital system on them.

8 hours ago, acg said:

That is so funny... the freakin internet is far and away the largest user of energy on the planet... It's probably near half of the world's energy use right now...

except that he is talking about toxic chemicals not energy use per se

nor is music delivery a large fraction of "internet energy use"

finally - to add a few ergs on top of the 2 points above - internet use is nowhere near the largest user of energy on this or any known planet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_energy_consumption

14 minutes ago, mansr said:

Maybe it doesn't count as internet, but how much energy do those robots crawling around on Mars spend on communication? Probably a higher percentage of total energy use than we do here on Earth. If the orbiters are included, it could well be the biggest consumer of energy.

they use low bit rate comms AFAIK

I'd bet the crawling is the biggest use on Mars ?

I'm sure we all have ... um... "things" in our past we have overcome.

kudos for confessing on the public internet.

I agree re edgy etc. as possible accuracy on certain albums, but think we should ask George about his use of the wah-wah pedal, in-piano mic'ing, and edgy rap.

senior audiophiles seem to know that LPs crush CD and streaming, even when that is not reality - confirmation bias, hearing loss, and the comfort of not changing all exact an effect here

Like I said, get a Yggy at least and give it a try - many report it needs 10 or more days to burn in but you'll still have a few days to listen and return

• 3 weeks later...

this has been listed before, but I'll add a couple of things on (tho some factors can overlap)...

1. galv. isolation - optical best; but WiFi is fine

2. big buffers

3. good clock with low phase noise ("close-in")

4. Quality DAC that has high immunity to Jitter

5. quality power supply with low noise

there are other things beyond the above that might matter (they at least make sense electronically, even if your recordings, gear or ears makes the quantitative improvement likelihood low)

- DSD

- RAM

etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...