IGNORED

Lies about vinyl vs digital

8 hours ago, Teresa said:

There are many theories on what our bodies do with inaudible ultrasonic frequencies our ears cannot hear. In all the theories ultrasonic overtones must have the corresponding fundamental tone in order to be perceived.  Theories I've read include:

• We can feel ultrasonics with our skin.
  • Ultrasonics are processed by the eyeball.
  • Ultrasonics effect how audible frequencies sound.
  • etc.

There are many other theories but those seem the most popular.

The theory that sounds the most plausible to me is audio energy exists as upper overtones of musical instruments and has an effect on the lower frequencies which we do hear directly. When listening to music we hear the fundamental note and its overtones shape the timbre, this is why an oboe and a clarinet sound different when playing the same note as their overtone series is different. The more overtones available to shape the timbre of the fundamental tone the more accurate the timbre is IMHO.

If these ultrasonic frequencies are forceful enough and behave like barometric pressure, then it does have an effect on me. It gives me a headache. That would be a reason to remove them.

mQa is dead!

11 hours ago, Paul R said:

It is like storing your files in compressed format. Probably little or no harm storing in FLAC instead of AIFF, but with disk and cloud storage so cheap these days, why would you bother with compression that *might* have an effect in the future?

You do realize that you can have uncompressed FLAC files?

mQa is dead!

11 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Are you unable to understand what I typed ?

It's simply a waste of my time further discussing things like this with members who refuse to accept ALL Subjective reports, even when performed by a highly acclaimed Recording Engineer.

IF you are genuinely interested,  send elcorso a PM for details on the series of tests that were carried out.

No need for hostility.

I assumed the degradation mentioned related to compressing files, so uncompressed files were the way to go.  Now I see you mean that a zip file somehow prevents the music file from being degraded.

mQa is dead!

40 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Adobe will be forcing you to move to a subscription model pretty soon I think. They just published a warning that anyone using older versions of their software may be in copyright violation. 

Adobe used to to be such a good company... 😩

I missed that warning. Do you know were I can find it?

You can still download your  older (purchased) apps:

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/downloaded-older-app.html

mQa is dead!

5 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

You won’t be getting sued by Adobe, it has nothing to do with them. They’re giving users a heads up that agreements with third party add-ons have expired with some of the software and it’s no longer legal to use THAT software. The possibility of getting sued comes from the third party companies, not Adobe. 

https://petapixel.com/2019/05/14/adobe-warns-that-using-older-cc-apps-could-get-you-sued/

That and they are only talking about Creative Cloud apps, not those that precede them, e.g. Lightroom 6 or Photoshop CS6.

mQa is dead!

13 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

I don't believe there is such a thing as a "lossless perceptual codec". 

I also don't think the "general public" has the faintest idea what dynamic compression is.

I think the "perceptual" is a reference to MQA -- which Bob says is perceptually lossless.

Also, could he be referring to dynamic range compression?

mQa is dead!

1 hour ago, mansr said:

Traditional phone lines have an analogue bandwidth of about 4 kHz. The V.34 modem standard provides data rates up to 33.6 kbps over such a channel. The V.90 standard increased downstream rates to 56 kbps by tying directly into the digital network.

I think I still have a USR V.90 modem in my basement.

mQa is dead!

44 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Usually a data set, or sample.   In some situations, a data stream, buffer, etc. 

Information is data, just put into a meaningful context. Ergo, the information in a compressed data set is obscured. 

Data set or dataset is problematic; it can mean so many different things.

mQa is dead!

3 minutes ago, mansr said:

If you wanted to compare two files, you would hopefully use the same software to display both.

As long as raw files are not involved, I don't think you need to be that strict.  Either the software used is color managed or it's not. If you use different software  but both are color managed, you should get the same image, likewise for non-color-managed software.

mQa is dead!

5 minutes ago, esldude said:

But why would you do it that way? You are looking for an unlikely difference, and you'd look at two images in two different softwares? Why would anyone do that?

You wouldn't. It's not relevant to the discussion here, but for photography, often more than one program is used.

mQa is dead!

11 minutes ago, sandyk said:

At the dawn of CD, many collectors sought out the original Japan and West Germany discs because they sounded better than the locally pressed copies which were made using multi generation copies.

I think they were different masters. I could be wrong.

Also, if there is degradation from each generation copy, does that not imply the process is not bit-perfect?

mQa is dead!

1 minute ago, sandyk said:
13 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Also, if there is degradation from each generation copy, does that not imply the process is not bit-perfect?

NO !!!  However, the amount of degradation appears to stabilise after several generations of copies, perhaps due to the inherent electrical noise level of the PC being used ?  I am no longer able to generate copies quite as poor sounding as I used to be able to with a previous Pentium 4 clunker, but I am able to REGENERATE a better sounding copy from them using an Uptone USB Regen with a low noise external PSU to power it. I still have some saved copies of copies from around 2008.

If no, then how is the "inherent electrical noise" encapsulated in the polycarbonate?

mQa is dead!

9 minutes ago, The_K-Man said:

If one makes a copy of a copy of a copy of a coyp of a ypoc of a c*p- of a _o_~, I guess so...!

If at some point there is 1 bit different and that only happens after multi-generations of copies, then the immediately preceding copy was bit-perfect. Then, in fact, the bit was lost after 1 generation.  N'est-ce pas?

mQa is dead!

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

A good question. Perhaps the shape of the actual binary waveforms are a little different ?

You MAY be able to see the differences using Hospital Grade imaging ?

John Swenson has also stated from his experience in a HDD fabrication plant that system noise is also stored on the HDD, albeit at a low level that he believed should not affect data retrieval.

If the data is bit-perfect, then how can the waveform be any different?

mQa is dead!