IGNORED

Lies about vinyl vs digital

4 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

GUTB, I think the hearing/SQ problem here is really with the batteries in your system.  I hate to say it but your batteries suck - at least for digital.  Don't try to cheap out on the batteries.  Get yourself some vanadium salt flow batteries and run the digital system on them.

Actually, I was left wondering why not just purchase a top flight, dedicated file player/streamer? Seems like a s#*t ton work to me to have a quiet PC. 

41 minutes ago, GUTB said:

@gmgraves revealed the truth behind the LIE of vinyl noise that even I bought into without thought -- the noise floor of vinyl isn't a floor in the digital sense, it just the level of spurious noise.

If a digital recording peaks out, it sounds awful. We've all heard it. I have yet to hear my LPs peak out...a crashing crescendo, screaming vocalist, etc., is very loud but no evidence of bumping into a ceiling is present -- obviously you need an amp with enough muscle to follow your speakers through these peaks, but we're talking about the source here. Some of my CDs obviously peak-limited, some are obviously compressed / processed to be loud. Soft sound following by loud sounds is an indispensable component of enjoyable hi-fi -- that's preaching top the choir I suspect, but why are my LPs good at this while my digital sucks at it?

Okay guys, help me out. What CDs or digital albums feature powerful dynamics / transients?

You asked. 

1200x630bb.jpg

6 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

I was going to mention that one, but GUTB said CD and this was released as either an SACD or a DVD-A, not a CD. OTOH, it too is dynamic range limited, just not as much as the CD layer of the same recording would be or any LP of this work.  

It's a CD. I own it.

https://www.discogs.com/Tchaikovsky-Erich-Kunzel-Cincinnati-Pops-Orchestra-Tchaikovsky-1812/release/2375701

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...